FORUMS: list search recent posts

'New Coke' syndrome

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Sheriff
'New Coke' syndrome
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:37:51 pm

After the sneak preview, the debate started.
Those expressing an opinion basically fell into three camps.

1. Fanboys
2. Wait and see.
3. Skeptics.

From group one we heard hyperbole like "a new editing paradigm" and "it's a game changer", "should be called Final Cut Awesome" and "Avid killer".
As a person from group three, I was underwhelmed with the whole thing and referred to it as nothing more than "iMovie Pro". This comment was not received well by group one, "Apple would never abandon professional users", I was told. Don't forget about Shake, I said. I reminded them that history is on the side of the skeptics, and that new does not always equate to better. And that changing things just for the sake of change backfires as often as it works. The 'New Coke' is a perfect example. The minidisc is another. Anybody remember all the hype over that boat anchor?
A lot of us didn't ask for, or want a new UI, or a bunch of consumer oriented bling. We just wanted FCP to move into the new decade, and include some long promised updates. Like use all the cores, use all the memory, clean up round-tripping, more real time, 64-bit, have nesting work properly, etc. No need to reinvent the wheel, being round still worked.
Those comments were met with scorn, as if just wanting what I have already paid money for to work as advertised, and being uninterested in a new UI made me a Luddite. After a certain point I (and probably others) grew weary of being attacked for having a different opinion, and it became pointless to do anything but lurk in this forum. Despite having zero personal experience with this unreleased software, group one continued to post day after day about it virtues and how kewl it was going to be.
Well here it is.
The lack of features for professional users is stunning. The claims that the actual release will probably include much more than the demo appear to be flat wrong. The reception so far seems to be this product is in fact not for professional users.
So my question for group one is how do you explain this? Where is that 'game changer' you were predicting? Is this what you would call 'Final Cut Awesome'?
I'm sure the group one default explanation will be to say this is just an early release, and that more is coming. If that is your take, whats the point of releasing something that is not ready for prime time? Not even close. As I said before, I have no interest in being an unpaid beta tester. And if more is coming, how much and when? I'm smelling a lot of 'if' here.
Leaving you all twisting in the wind with three hundred dollars worth of nothing doesn't bode well for the future if you ask me. Not to mention that it now looks like Apple has pulled FCS3, leaving you with no choice if you want to upgrade. This is probably more upsetting than the lackluster new version. What is everyone supposed to do in the meantime? Just tell your clients you're waiting for Apple to get their sh*t together and come back in six months.
It reminds me of a quote from the original Max Headroom movie, from a character called 'Blank Reg' who said "Remember when we said theres no future. Well, this is it."
If a decent new version comes out quickly, I may have to eat all of this. But for now, you fanboys will all have to forgive me for saying a big "I told you so" to conclude this rant, as I hop on my motorcycle and enjoy the first day of summer taking a victory lap.
I'm sure this will draw a lot of flames. Have at it, fire away. It might take away some of that frustration and disappointment.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Scott Douglas
Re: 'New Coke' syndrome
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:57:08 pm

I still don't understand why I'm seeing posts from people wondering what they'll tell their clients now that Apple hasn't 'come through for them'.

What exactly were they expecting FCPX to magically do for them. If I was a client who heard 'just wait for FCPX to come out' from an editor/post-house/anyone I'm paying, I'd fire them on the spot. IF you have FCS 3 (hell if you have FCS 2 as well), you should be able to thoroughly complete a project at a professional level.

I'm part of group 2, fyi. While looking into upgrading from CS5 to CS5.5 for the production premium suite.

Brand New Website UP! - scottkdouglas.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:48:00 pm

[Scott Douglas] "I still don't understand why I'm seeing posts from people wondering what they'll tell their clients now that Apple hasn't 'come through for them'."

IMO
I think this is because of the proliferation of h.264 in acquisition. A lot of folks are coming in the door with this, and it has to be transcoded to ProRes. So hearing that this isn't an issue for the new version might mean better relations with those clients/users, less time/money spent transcoding, yadah-yadah. Great, who wouldn't want that? Now if you have to trade a bunch of other functionality you need to get that feature. So what do you tell the clients if they have h.264 material, and are expecting the new no transcode workflow, but then want to send the audio to a Pro Tools guy, or footage to a colorist, or print to tape?

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:03:44 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "Where is that 'game changer' you were predicting?"
I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it....and know how to use this stuff...

HI
As Arthur C Clarke put it "all sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

With FCP X (and soon Lion) Apple has just EOL'd QuickTime, after decades. This is a game changer, so we should hear them out. Likewise XML for the project.

You're old stuff won't work in the old way no doubt - like say the typewriter, who has one of those nowadays ;-)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:18:13 pm

[Paul Dickin] "With FCP X (and soon Lion) Apple has just EOL'd QuickTime, after decades. This is a game changer, so we should hear them out. Likewise XML for the project.

You're old stuff won't work in the old way no doubt - like say the typewriter, who has one of those nowadays ;-)"

I agree that FCPX has some amazing technological underpinnings, and that this will be a great foundation to build on for the future -- but the typewriter analogy isn't fair. Word processors offered more functionality than typewriters from day one, and that's why they won in the marketplace.

FCPX promises more tomorrow, but for many workflows, delivers way less than FCP7 today. Apple is not handling this period of transition very well, and it's understandably disconcerting for people making a living with their solutions.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:49:58 pm

[Walter Soyka] "FCPX promises more tomorrow, but for many workflows, delivers way less than FCP7 today. Apple is not handling this period of transition very well, and it's understandably disconcerting for people making a living with their solutions."

I agree Walter. The problem is not so much about the product as it is about Apple's handling of the product. I'm almost inclined to feel that a claim of false advertising is not overstating the case, but I'll think about it a little longer before I actually make that claim. For now I'll simply throw the issue out on the table as food for thought.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
Re: 'New Coke' syndrome, agreed...no flaming here
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:06:41 pm

I couldn't agree with you more about how unprofessional this FCPx or whatever the hell you wanna call it is. I don't know in my lifetime if Ive ever seen a company take something so feature rich that people use to make a living and turn it into a dumbed down toy for my grandmother. It's jaw dropping the features that have been ripped out.

There is NO excuse to not share with a community that makes a living on your software what the roadmap is, that IS NOT how professionals work. How can you have this much time letting every editing software pass you by and then come out with something that can't even do basic workflows that everyone was using on your previous software??? How can you not let AJA and others in on FCPX so that third party hardware works still? Why break things that work and are crucial to pro's?

If your argument is that we need to give it time and this is a version 1 software I call BS. They had plenty of time to get it where it needs to be for pro users but decided not to. They have released a beta toy.

Paul Harb-Producer/Director
Wrong Beach Multimedia
Dual 3.2 GHz Quad/10.5.5/8GIG RAM/FCP 6.0.4/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
Is there only one professional?
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:54:16 pm

I myself work in the broadcast field and I too find it very disappointing that features that I need are missing from this release. But have you read Gary Adcock's article? He outlines certain frameworks that he thinks are game changers. If you have any respect for Gary's experience or knowledge, than maybe you'll see what elements may be game changers. You should also read Gary's comment about "Not for Professionals?"

I know plenty of people who make a living (some of them make a very decent living) editing and don't need EDL, XML, OMF exports, tape captures, tape layouts, multicam. The point is, there is still an elitist attitude that unless you're making content for TV or theatres, you're not professional.

Plenty of Wedding Videographers/Editors deliver many more hours of content in one year than I deliver broadcast content. To me, they're professionals. This version would suit them very well. It doesn't suit me very well right now, but it wouldn't say it's not for "Pros."

And Gary Adcock is not a fanboy and neither am I. But I am respectful enough to not crap on other people's jobs and careers.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
http://www.chiholee.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Is there only one professional?
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:57:34 pm

[Chi-Ho Lee] "And Gary Adcock is not a fanboy and neither am I. But I am respectful enough to not crap on other people's jobs and careers."

Great comment, I even corrected my stance on my blog posting to reflect that very concept.

EVERYONE of us sees life from their own point of view, \

I live as a professional, someone tied to hardware, but that is not the case for a variety of other working pros, and I did not take those alternative points of view into account when I wrote that phrase.

Chi-Ho wisely see that beyond that phrase, I see things in FCPX that without a doubt will change the industry.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:25:15 pm

Your using the word "Pro" too narrowly; there are people who get paid to make videos who use Imovie - while they may be pro's that does not make Imovie a Pro App.

"Pro" means capable of handling the most challenging professional projects, not something that you can make a living with if you know the workarounds and your client isn't too demanding.

It does not demean wedding videographers to say that an application that can't handle multicam, that doesn't support external monitoring or output OMF and XML is not a Pro NLE.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 21, 2011 at 11:06:04 pm

[Chi-Ho Lee] "And Gary Adcock is not a fanboy and neither am I."

OK sure.
But isn't this your post from 7 o'clock this morning?

"Damn! You beat me to it!

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/top-features/
"

So do you use your iPhone, or iPad to hourly check the Apple website for FCP X being released?

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:01:18 am

[Scott Sheriff] "OK sure.
But isn't this your post from 7 o'clock this morning?

"Damn! You beat me to it!

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/top-features/"

So do you use your iPhone, or iPad to hourly check the Apple website for FCP X being released?
"

Actually, it was 8am EST. And nope, I received an IM from a friend who told me about it.

If you're gonna dig up dirt on people, you should at least get the facts right. LOL.

And me posting what amounts to an important piece of news about post production in a post production forum when I was informed about it makes me a fan boy? Ok, you caught me red headed!

Your snarky attitude and your self righteous post to tell people "I told you so!" makes you better than a fan boy right? I think the urban dictionary would that an a$$hat! LOL.

Good luck with yourself.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
http://www.chiholee.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:37:29 am

[Chi-Ho Lee] "Actually, it was 8am EST. And nope, I received an IM from a friend who told me about it.

"If you're gonna dig up dirt on people, you should at least get the facts right. LOL."

FYI, Here is the subject line:
Re: FCPX is released! by Chi-Ho Lee on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:13:29 am
I wasn't really digging, but I did see that post in the FCP forum. Don't know what time zone you're in, and don't much care. The thread is stamped with that time, not 8am.

"And me posting what amounts to an important piece of news about post production... "
It was so good for you to break that news. Otherwise it might have gone completely unnoticed. Maybe we can get you the Edward R Murrow award.

"...in a post production forum when I was informed about it makes me a fan boy? Ok, you caught me red headed!"
Yes, you are correct.
Except it is 'Red handed', not "red headed"

"Your snarky attitude and your self righteous post to tell people "I told you so!" makes you better than a fan boy right? I think the urban dictionary would that an a$$hat! LOL."
If you didn't like my 'New Coke' syndrome post, I'm guessing you won't like this one either:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/3150
You have now played the dreaded urban dictionary card, I guess I'm in for it now!
Don't forget I put that comment in bold too! And I also said something about taking a 'victory lap'.
So what?
I have obviously hit a nerve with the fanboy category, because I never mentioned you by name. In fact, I don't even know who you are. Wasn't talking to you, or about you.
My post said there were three camps in the iMovie Pro debate. 1. Fanboys, 2. Wait and see, 3. Skeptics. You are the guy that decided you fit into category one, and felt the need to declare "...is not a fanboy and neither am I." But hey, if the shoe fits, wear it.
And for the life of me, I don't know why you're dragging Gary into this, other that to name drop. I wasn't talking to him either. And even if I was, he is a big boy and can defend himself.
I went back and read the thread. Some people agreed. Some disagreed. Your the only one that took it personal. Try to man up a little.

Snarky, yes. Quite often I'm also be sardonic, sarcastic and dry. Sometimes all at the same time!

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]