FORUMS: list search recent posts

End of The Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
End of The Mac Pro
on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:14:36 pm

For those of you with a sense of humor ...

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20120219_1-Dinosaur.html

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: End of The Mac Pro
on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:27:59 pm

I'll admit I've written a number of Cow posts on the can.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 20, 2012 at 5:46:51 pm

[Bret Williams] "I'll admit I've written a number of Cow posts on the can."
I think I could only with low data-rate posts,
Unfortunately i don't have any iPod, iPad, iPhone ar even an Android or Galaxynote to make the test.
I'll try it with my Mac Pro.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:40:26 pm

I doubt there can be anyone unfamiliar with the persona of Leonardo daVinci, especially since we use the name so commonly, and of course for colorists DaVinci is a brand name.

But here's a sample of what he really thought:

It seems to me that men of coarse and clumsy habits and of small knowledge do not deserve such fine instruments nor so great a variety of natural mechanism as men of speculation and of great knowledge; but merely a sack in which their food may be stowed and whence it may issue, since they cannot be judged to be any thing else than vehicles for food; for it seems to me they have nothing about them of the human species but the voice and the figure, and for all the rest are much below beasts.
Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmentors of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them.

He was so far ahead of his time, we're still catching up.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 20, 2012 at 9:11:28 pm

Da Vinci as compared to the mass market products we have today? I think he was definitely way ahead of us, certainly ahead of the church that imprisoned him for thinking his thoughts, and most certainly far, far ahead of any conventional wisdom I see presenting itself these days. If you are comparing Leonardo da Vinci to Apple I think da Vinci wins hands down.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 20, 2012 at 9:20:35 pm

And, also you cannot distill what da Vinci thought in a few random lines. His was a long life for those days - sixty seven or eight years as I recall - and I don't think you can really tell us that we are not worthy of using any tool based on a da Vinci quote taken out of context. I feel sure that he would've been the first to question that. Because he asked questions.

Tim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:06:17 pm

. . . and yet he left us the da Vinci Resolve and the Resolve Lite.
Why would he do such a thing?
Why would he make such a good color grading tool but no NLE to go with it?
It would seem Reason had left him . . . even that was left to Propellerhead to develop.
Alas even "privy" has two meanings
sharing in the knowledge of (something secret or private)
a toilet located in a small shed outside a house or other building; outhouse.
or maybe it is really the same meaning articulated differently.
Would this forum be shared privy and that we keep it full.
;-)

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:44:51 pm

Privy has far more than two meanings. In this particular "quote" - translation really - I am fairly sure it refers to a latrine. What you refer to I am not entirely sure.

Tim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:47:40 pm

Did you read my post?
a toilet located in a small shed outside a house or other building; outhouse.
which could be a latrine.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 21, 2012 at 12:01:31 am

Yes, I did. Did you read mine?

Tim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2012 at 12:09:18 am

Yes, "latrine"
You mention more than two meanings but I only see two variations even in regards to old english.
latrine is close to the definition I posted.
The first known use of the word latrine was in the 1640s (France I believe) which was more than a century after he died.
Privy dates to the 1300s. Privy was a known word to da Vinci, Latrine was not.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 21, 2012 at 12:27:54 am

We are delightful and serendipitous accord as neither of us appears to have even the slightest idea what the other is talking about. But, if you're really interested consult David Crystals' The English Language on the meanings of "privy." It's not is an index or a glossary. You have to read the book.

Tim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2012 at 12:53:19 am

I'm not privy to David Crystals' interpretations or writings. Perhaps you can excerpt.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 21, 2012 at 12:54:01 am

I dunno.

I've always imagined, when considering the British phrase "privy council" - a group of people discussing issues of great moment ... whilst, uh, simultaneously ... enthroned?

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]