FORUMS: list search recent posts

This article talks about the end of the Mac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Kelly
This article talks about the end of the Mac
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:26:43 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/four-wow-features-...

This heralds the end of Macs

Gizmodo’s Jesus Diaz is being funny when he suggests "Mac is dead," but he is also kinda right when it comes to the future of "the desktop experience." OS X Mountain Lion drops the reference to Macs, making this version of its desktop software more and more like its mobile device platform iOS. Why? It’s as plain as the beautiful line of data in this chart from Asymco's Horace Deidu:

As you can see, Apple sold 156 million iOS devices in one year compared to 122 million Macs in 28 years.

As Tim Cook said about the also-insane iPad growth: “This 55 is something no one would have guessed. Including us. To put it in context, it took us 22 years to sell 55 million Macs. It took us about 5 years to sell 22 million iPods, and it took us about 3 years to sell that many iPhones. And so, this thing is, as you said, it’s on a trajectory that’s off the charts.”

It’s more than just form factor that makes these devices so popular, it's the document-free app-icon iOS platform. As Mr. Diaz says, after 25 years it's about time:

“This, the death of the desktop metaphor, is just the last step of getting rid of an antiquated way to manage our information. Good riddance. Because it was never designed to support the gigantic amount of information that we have to deal with every day. We've changed. Our information has changed. The Mac, the desktop—has to die.”

Last one out of the pool.....

Return to posts index

T.a. Franks
Re: This article talks about the end of the Mac
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:56:55 pm

I guess you could compare this theory with the Automobile industry except for the difference the "high end or sport" sections is kept alive do to marketing and innovation. For example Audi promotes there R8 and Diesel Engines with the R18 TDi.
Everybody wants a piece of the best, right.

Lets hope Apples marketing are that smart. ;)

Besides of that comparing Phones and Computers sales is like comparing bottle Water and Chteau Margaux sales.

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:50:14 pm

I was posting it in fun, but the significant success in consumer electronics compared to life time sales of Apple computers was just so out of whack.

I'm not as big on the apple bandwagon as I once was. I'm feeling like my privacy is no longer, and Apple is not doing anything to help.

My editing has moved to a PC, quite successfully. I'm online with my Mac and IDevices for safety primarily.

I'm just starting to wonder if Apple hasn't made some decisions they are not sharing.

Why would you take the Word Mac out of the OS name. I don't have any interest in editing anything other than an email on my iPad.

Just thinking....

D

Return to posts index

T.a. Franks
on Feb 18, 2012 at 11:58:51 am

Well there is only one way to keep your privacy go offline.
But on that not that is my favorite quote when people cry out about there privacy but then have a full blown account rolling on Facebook.

Privacy never excited in the new age we are just realizing it ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]