FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Nail?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marvin Holdman
Final Nail?
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:22:27 pm

Is this going to be the final nail in FCS?

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-macs-that-wont-ge...

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: Final Nail?
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:38:16 pm

Nothing would surprise me at this point. Clearly Apple tried to drive that particular nail seven months ago but, like the undead, FCS refuses to stay in the ground.

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:54:40 pm

I believe that upgrades aren't compulsory so FCS3 should continue to work if you don't.

I know Editors who are still working with Avid on OS9!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:35:28 pm

Absolutely true. I still use it. I also still use Avid 3 (for scriptsync.) But both of these will break at some point and I don't think Avid or Apple will be in a rush to help me out when they do. And so I have alternative plans. But my point was that it was Apple's intention, from the time FCPX was announced, to kill FCS. Dead. And the other point was that nothing would surprise me. Such as Apple bringing back FCS in some form, or engineering X in the future in a manner calculated to bring the people who perceive themselves as having been shunned back in to the fold.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 19, 2012 at 2:36:23 pm

Ditto!

I know of a place that was making plenty of money using an Avid that had to be 6 years old running on the same OS that it shipped with. Cripes! where is the law that states you must always upgrade. I have a G4 that is running FCP 4.5 that still could be used to edit most all of the jobs out there. Slow renders, but it STILL WORKS.

Not only that, Apple dumps support for old machines with their software with regularity. How else can the software tap into technology only available on newer machines. Don't you want the software to keep up with the hardware? If they held back the tech that can only work on the later machines, we'd not improve the performance of the software...

Jerry

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:02:32 pm

The new operating system won't work with processors that are over 5 years old? Who would've thought. If only technological advancement went slower. A lot slower.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:43:53 pm

Well, it's not exactly five years between Lion and Mountain Lion, but this is how they make money and I don't think anyone should be surprised. I'm not. And while I've pretty much committed to other platforms that does not mean I won't be paying close attention to Mountain Lion.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:47:23 pm

Oh, wait Andy. You said processors and you are absolutely right. Five years is a very long time between horses.

Tim

Return to posts index

Tapio Haaja
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:09:58 pm

Who cares? If you're editing with FCS why should you upgrade to Mountain Lion? Actually why should you update even to Lion? I think all 'pro' softwares still work in Snow Leopard. Even Avid MC6 works in Snow Leopard although Lion is recommended. So no hurry :)

Best
Tapio Haaja

On-Air Promotion Producer
http://avseikkailuja.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:56:46 pm

No. No hurry. But eventually these things will break and cease to be practically functional.

Tim

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:58:11 pm

Now that Apple releases a new OS every year or sooner, it seems insane to upgrade just because Cook has something new on the plate. It's his job to feed the consumer mob with new goods to fill his belly with cash. It's our job to make movies, not appease Cook.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:03:06 pm

[Lemur Hayop] " It's his job to feed the consumer mob with new goods to fill his belly with cash. It's our job to make movies, not appease Cook.
"

I really don't think the OSX update costs are very expensive

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 18, 2012 at 12:37:45 am

You are right. They are not expensive. The question is do they work for you? At this particular moment in my world the Mac OS upgrades do not work for me. Will they in the future? Perhaps. And If it turns out that what I do down the road does work within a Mac OS then I will not hesitate to reconsider. Right now Apple is headed down a road down which I cannot follow.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2012 at 3:42:32 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Right now Apple is headed down a road down which I cannot follow."

Which is what?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]