FORUMS: list search recent posts

And the big question is...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miłosz Koziol
And the big question is...
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:03:24 pm

Well! Despite having FCPX most of us still have FCP7 (not me though as I jumped into AVID). The big question is : Will apple drop support to FCS in upcoming Mountain Lion OS?

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
Re: And the big question is...
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:20:41 pm

The Carbon API's are depreciated in Mountain Lion:

"In OS X v10.8, mοѕt οf thе APIs іn thе Carbon Core framework аrе deprecated. In many cases, thеrе аrе alternative APIs уου саn υѕе, such аѕ APIs іn thе Core Foundation, Foundation, GCD (Grand Central Dispatch), аnԁ Disk Arbitration frameworks."

I think Lion will be the last OS that supports FCP 7.xx

-paul.

Return to posts index

Paul Harrison
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:38:53 pm

You may well be right that legacy FCP will not be supported on Mountain Lion OSX 10.8. However, your evidence is not compelling. The definition of "deprecation" in the software context is not "no longer supported", but rather (from Wikipedia)

"to indicate that they should be avoided, typically because they have been superseded. Although deprecated software features remain in the software, their use may raise warning messages recommending alternative practices, and deprecation may indicate that the feature will be removed in the future. Features are deprecated—rather than immediately removed—in order to provide backward compatibility, and give programmers who have used the feature time to bring their code into compliance with the new standard."

So, your quote from Apple is more likely to mean that Mountain Lion will be the last OSX version to allow legacy FCP to run.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:57:36 pm

Thanks for the life lesson.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:37:43 pm

Even if it isn't directly unsupported I doubt Apple is going to release a patch/update to fix conflicts or problems with Final Cut Studio 3 and Mtn Lion (or future versions of QT, iTunes, etc.,) not to mention third parties releasing updated drivers/support for FCP7 under Mtn Lion.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]