FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Keyframe editor? massive fail apple!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Palmos
No Keyframe editor? massive fail apple!
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:11:29 pm

Hi guys,
Boy, there is plenty to underwhelmed by, but I find it incredible there is no keyframe editor, not one that I can find...

I wish I hadn't been so trigger happy, FCP/Motion5 and Compressor are going to be sitting doing nothing on my system for quite some time I fear... If and when fcpx is good enough to actually use, the upgrade price will probably be the same as the purchase price I've just paid!

I wonder if they are offering refunds for vastly disappointed editors?

major fail Apple.

Mark.

Return to posts index

Brad Baker
Re: No Keyframe editor? massive fail apple!
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:54:13 pm

This may help:

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0/#ver8e3f20ea

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:53:58 pm

FCP7 had the worst keyframing in the business, but fcpX has now taken the crown... pathetic!

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:14:05 pm

If I remember correctly from the demo the keyframes are viewable in the timeline, I don't have FCPx but there should be a twirldown or option to show the keyframes.

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:05:55 am

Hi All,

So after toying around with it, I have found the keyframe editor and I find it to be incredibly fast and easy...

There is a small icon on the top left of every clip in the timeline that opens up to a small menu with the option for Vido Animation. Select that and then you get, essentially the motion tab from FCP7, directly in your timeline. It is the keyframes that correspond to the parameters in the inspector. Attached is a screenshot that will show the expanded keyframe editors for opacity and the Bokeh Random effect. Note the parameters of the Bokeh Random effect in the Inspector on the top right and how they correspond to the editor in the timeline. To mark a keyframe in the Video Animation editor, simply hold Option, and click where you want to mark it.

Again, it is super fast and super easy. A vast improvement over navigating through multiple windows and tabs to do simple things.

Panasonic HPX170 P
2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:08:12 am

Sorry, here's the screenshot!

Panasonic HPX170 P
2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:27:18 am

[Matthew Sonnenfeld] "So after toying around with it, I have found the keyframe editor and I find it to be incredibly fast and easy..."

Hello Matthew,
I have seen that, but that is hardly what I would call a keyframe editor:

You cannot expand any parameter that has more than one attribute (like crop or scale or position) - making it useless.
You cannot add bezier handles to keyframes
You cannot copy and paste keyframes
When you copy and paste attributes, you have no choices as to how they will be pasted, etc... it is dismal.

All in all, it is a step backwards from FCP where you had a terrible KFE, but could actually do more than you can now do with this lame software.

Mark.

Return to posts index

oliver michaels
on Jun 25, 2011 at 7:11:11 pm

But there is not keyframing on color or brightness/levels!!! i'm assuming that they are expecting a third party plugin but to market the app as being much better at color correction and leaving keyframes to a third party plugin makes no sense. the manual says cut the clip in half, adjust them separately and crossfade between them! how about that for accuracy???

Return to posts index

Tom Fuldner
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:57:28 pm

I agree with Oliver. I really, really wanted to like FCP-X. I'm already into a project and I've made the same discovery: no keyframe editor for color correction. Ugh! This has got to change!

Tom F.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

Ariel Dones
on Aug 9, 2011 at 4:32:01 am

adding keyframe point. Place the cursor to the desired point in the frame and hit alt+K. hope it helps

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Aug 9, 2011 at 6:46:48 am

Hi, thanks, yes I know that, but I am talking about a proper keyframe editor where you can copy, paste, bezier curve and adjust accurately.

Nope, FCX is so far from usable in a professional environment, I have sold my MBP and my macpro is on eBay... I am 100% finished with apple products.

Premiere Pro has been fantastic, and upgrade FCP8 should have been...
Thanks anyway...
Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Aug 9, 2011 at 6:48:17 am

Hi, thanks, yes I know that, but I am talking about a proper keyframe editor where you can copy, paste, bezier curve and adjust accurately.

Nope, FCX is so far from usable in a professional environment, I have sold my MBP and my macpro is on eBay... I am 100% finished with apple products.

Premiere Pro has been fantastic, and upgrade FCP8 should have been...
Thanks anyway...
Mark

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:56:14 pm

I also thought I found that keyframe editor on the first day FCPX came out. Then I realized it didn't really work and marking keyframes and moving them is a far cry from actually editing them.

I have not gotten rid of my Apple products alltogether as I like the build quality, the technology under the hood, and I like OSX... Guilty. I have however made the switch to Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

I could not agree more with Premiere Pro being what FCP8 should have been. There are still afew things that I would like to see, but overall, I've been very pleased. Also, I feel a lot better in Adobe's hands than in Apple's. When Apple ditches the pros, they feel nothing... If Adobe ditched the pros, that's the end of Adobe. I have the confidence that Adobe will listen and make the adjustments necessary to get Premiere to really shine.

Return to posts index

Bryan Fowler
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:38:49 pm

Mark, can you post a link to your ebay auction for your MacPro?

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Aug 12, 2011 at 3:23:03 pm

Hi Bryan
I have to relist it, it did not sell last week... I will post the link today.
Tx
Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Aug 12, 2011 at 3:40:32 pm

Hi Bryan

Here it is, I have relisted it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270798867442

Return to posts index

James Leonzio
on Oct 13, 2011 at 9:27:53 pm

This does not work at all for color correction, although it seems that is how it is SUPPOSED to work. It even says so in the manual.

What is the deal here? I'm about to throw my computer through the window! I refuse to send my project to Color and back to do basic color correction.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Oct 14, 2011 at 9:36:05 am

Mate, don't throw your computer away, just throw fcpx away, it's prosumer rubbish! Premiere is doing fantastic things...

Return to posts index

Diego Barraza
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:18:21 am

I have just found this the hard way. Right smack in the midle of work,no keyframes for color. Ahhhhh. FCP X is driving me nuts. Apple....please listen to the editors.

filmmaking-editing-dop-dad

Return to posts index

Jim Waterwash
on May 12, 2012 at 5:01:40 pm

Not being able to keyframe color corrections is stopping me from realizing some creative ideas. When the tool gets in the way, that's when I find a new tool.

This is frustrating, especially considering that "Color" shows up in the Video Animations keyframe editor. Are they trying to fool us into thinking it's possible???

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]