There's a lot if Nvidia + Mac rumors floating around
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:33:14 pm

What a Valentine's Day.

Sit tight peoples.

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
Re: There's a lot if Nvidia + Mac rumors floating around
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:57:50 pm

Sorry if I sound like a noob, but if Apple used Nvidia cards, what exactly would that mean for us? Significantly faster rendering and encoding compared to ATI cards? Also, would it be more beneficial to FCPX users than to PPro or Avid users, or would everyone reap the benefits? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:06:05 pm

[Jim Glickert]Sorry if I sound like a noob, but if Apple used Nvidia cards, what exactly would that mean for us?

It primarily means that Premiere Pro users would have a better option when it comes to the Mercury Playback Engine, which can currently only use NVIDIA hardware for GPU acceleration.

Sine FCPX uses OpenCL, it can take advantage of both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:23:10 pm

This has been posted in the FCP forum:

http://micgadget.com/21980/apple-is-close-to-finally-updating-the-mac-pro/?...

rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
Re: BS ;-)
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:55:33 pm

[Rafael Amador] "This has been posted..."
Hi
The move to Ivy Bridge Xeons is highly speculative - 8 core Sandy Bridge Xeon workstations have only just been announced by HP and Fujitsu now that Intel are finally shipping them after a 6 months delay.

Ivy Bridge Xeons aren't even on Intel's announced 2013 roadmap so far...

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
Mac mini will receive the Thunderbolt I/O
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:07:05 pm

http://micgadget.com/13052/the-upcoming-updates-for-apple-products/

Plus more mbp news
rc

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
Re: Mac mini will receive the Thunderbolt I/O JUNE 2011 newsflash.....
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:14:24 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "Mac mini will receive the Thunderbolt I/O"
Hi
LOL!
Hot news from June 2011.....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:58:30 pm

What Gary said.

It would give us better access to Resolve and allow CUDA processing to the applications that support it (Adobe being a big one).

Not sure what it would mean for FCPX quite yet, if anything. With 10.0.3, for me, things have slowed down a bit. I don't know why. It has me reaching to get a new GPU. I don't know if Nvidia will help as from what I have heard, their openCL support is not as good as ATI. Apple has been known to be working on different support platforms (i.e. the switch from PPC to intel) concurrently, so maybe there'll be a surprise. Who knows. I still have hope that manufacturers want to make things better, not harder. I'm a sap, I guess.

With some other major video applications running CUDA, this seems to get a bit messy if FCPX is best with openCL.

I'm sure we will know sometime soon.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:12:52 pm

For the record, Jeremy, I have an ATI Radeon 4870 with 512MB in my Mac Pro. It shipped with my Mac in early 2009.

A few months ago, when I was trying to figure out how to speed FCP X up (10.0.2), I ordered 32GB of ram for my machine (up from 12GB) and the best ATI card available, which is still the Radeon 5870 with 1GB of ram.

I installed the card, and for the life of me, couldn't see any performance improvement in general FCP X operation over my nearly 3 year old card. I didn't test exporting because it wasn't that important to me, but I looked for any improvements in scrolling speed, in timeline rendering, in zoom in and out on the timeline, etc. Nothing improved. I ended up keeping the 32GB of ram because it was cheap and gave me more headroom for running multiple apps, but I returned the 5870.

So if you order a better ATI card, make sure you can return it in you have to!

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:17:56 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "I installed the card, and for the life of me, couldn't see any performance improvement in general FCP X operation over my nearly 3 year old card. I didn't test exporting because it wasn't that important to me, but I looked for any improvements in scrolling speed, in timeline rendering, in zoom in and out on the timeline, etc. Nothing improved. I ended up keeping the 32GB of ram because it was cheap and gave me more headroom for running multiple apps, but I returned the 5870. "

Great timing, I was just thinking of doing exactly the same!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:52:47 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "So if you order a better ATI card, make sure you can return it in you have to!"

Thanks for that, Helmut. That's why I'm going to sit tight.

I did double my RAM when I installed Lion, but I think that there's still work to be done with FCPX optimization, or perhaps the Tahiti cards will be the answer.

If I knew Adobe was going to be the way, the 4000 would do it.

I don't know. FCP7, still making the money, and I don't buy anything...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 15, 2012 at 9:43:03 pm

I did the same thing (more ram, ati 5780). Didn't notice much in FCPX but notice a BIG difference in Motion over my GT120.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:45:21 pm

Don't forget about the CG guys - Maya uses the CUDA cores for rendering and previewing so having nVidia back is really good for all.

I would like to see more choices with both brands though - Mac users are always stuck with only a couple of outdated, underpowered and OVERpriced choices with graphics cards. ATI is introducing their 7000 series and nVidia gamer cards like the GTX580 are far more powerful and less expensive than the entry-level Quadro 4000 offered for the Mac. I hated paying $250 for my 5770 so I could run FCPX when the PC version is less than half that and a couple of generations behind.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:39:36 pm

I want a Thunderbolt GPU! :)

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:14:15 pm

the new nvidia cards that the slide alludes to look very nice. Good news for any tool that uses GPU effectively (not just Adobe).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]