https://vimeo.com/36746428

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: A glimpse of the future?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:18:17 pm

OOOH, that looks FUN! FCPX is pretty much "good enough" for my work purposes but I'm still mainly using FCS3.

If Apple really is heading in this direction with FCPX and it gets fleshed out nice and solid (they seem to be doing OK with touch screens so far), I could definitely see such a setup in my edit room. My clients (who know NOTHING of NLE's) would think it's cool and impressive as well, always a plus.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:45:27 pm

Looks like a lot more work flying arms around than a simple A5 wacom

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:47:42 pm

[Alan Lacey] "Looks like a lot more work flying arms around than a simple A5 wacom"

Might keep us a bit fitter though!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:15:25 pm

I don't think the touch interface is going to break our mouse/tablet (good god, I hope not). It would just be another method of manipulation at our disposal. Have some fun with the touch interface for assembly/organization then pick up the mouse/pen for the real, detailed work.

[tony west] "I don't see the benefit, unless you don't want to jog around the track and you want to get your workout this way : )"

With this "trackless paradigm" you don't have a choice! J/K

For me, a good portion of my edits are intensely simple. Title, couple cross dissolves, fade to black, and burn or upload. I think it would be fun for that stuff, real complex projects maybe not so much.

[Alan Lacey] "Looks like a lot more work flying arms around than a simple A5 wacom"

Maybe the screen becomes the tablet?

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:10:41 pm

The future seems to have lost the skimmer.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:24:43 pm

I saw an earlier version of this somewhere.

Keeping an iPad screen clean is one thing but imagine how grubby a 27" monitor would get.

Not for me - looks a really clumsy way of achieving a precision job.

I'd much rather edit with a 'Minority Report' type virtual screen and really throw things together including the past, the future and the present.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:08:02 pm

Yep. Not once did he look at a video in the event window. Because he can't. This would be better performed on an iPad where you don't have to reach 50 yards for each action. Why does he need bigger buttons for crying out loud? They're like 2 inch square on that thing.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:41:02 pm

The Mother of Invention can be quite a ditsy bitch.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:52:45 pm

I don't see the benefit, unless you don't want to jog around the track and you want to get your workout this way : )

It takes the skimmer out of the mix so that's a deal breaker for me right off.

Touch screens have their place.

I was in a hotel lobby the other day and they had a huge one on the wall and you could find pizza around the corner or weather. Very cool, but you only use it for a couple of minutes.

You would see editors falling over from heart attacks. The edit session is too long for all that.

I can see tagging footage on an airplane with an ipad but transferring to my computer when I wanted to work.

I think part of the reason X is slimmed downed in that timeline is to make it touch screen ready.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:54:20 pm

This might be fine if ALL you do is editing via mouse. I do so much with keyboard shortcuts, including precision editing via arrow keys and option-arrow keys, that this would be very unpractical.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:03:26 pm

[Shane Ross] "This might be fine if ALL you do is editing via mouse. I do so much with keyboard shortcuts, "

Exactly! What's quicker, flailing with your hands all over a screen or letting your fingers dance over a keyboard?

Mmmm

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 14, 2012 at 6:44:21 pm

Maybe. The thing is, after two years with an iPad, I'm not quite as enamored with the whole touch screen thing as I once was. Actually, its really made be value both tactile keys and the nifty Apple trackpads--and, for that matter, a good precision mouse. My gut tells me that touch screen pads are not the future I once saw them to be, though I still see them having an important place, primarily for media consumption and game playing. Of course, it could just be me.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:09:50 pm

Sorry I just finished watching the whole demo but is he kidding or what??!!

Imagine editing all day every day like that. My joints are cactus now. Imagine how they'd be if I'd started editing at 20 like that!

Phew!!

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:14:04 pm

Years ago when watching Star Trek I thought how horrible the future will be when we have to use touch screens that beep. At the time the DAW system I was using, dSP, had a touch screen option. I hated both the ergonomics of it and the fact that it was less elegant than the ergonomic controller that dSP made. The combination of dedicated controller and a keyboard made the touch screen seem slow and uncomfortable.

Compared to a mouse driven system it has some merits but why oh why doesn't someone just make a proper ergonomic controller for FCP? Learning keyboard short cuts makes more sense than this approach. anything that makes you reach and hold your hands in the air without wrist support is fatiguing and ultimately uncomfortable. Big touch screens are not the future but a 90's retro idea.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:43:52 pm

Geez,

Sometimes folks around here get so amazingly stuck on what they're used to that it baffles me. Look, if you don't want a thing like this - fine. I promise nobody will force you to buy one presuming it ever comes out as a product.

But honestly, I remember the first MacBook I bought that had a trackpad built in. Seemed really weird for the first half-hour to have to move a cursor with my right thumb. Totally "non-intuitive."

About a week later, the thumb pad had essentially "disappeared" from being anything but "normal" to me. Now, I switch back and forth from my desktop machine (mouse and keyboard) to my laptop (trackpad and keyboard) to my iPad (touchscreen only) and never really even think about which I'm using. They all feel perfectly "natural."

I think most of you guys are WAY over thinking the potential distractions and muscle use issues these things will generate. You're brain and your body will adapt. Period.

And if not, use something else.

Again, it's just another choice. And choice are nearly always a better thing than no choice.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Feb 15, 2012 at 12:01:21 am

[Bill Davis] "I think most of you guys are WAY over thinking the potential distractions and muscle use issues these things will generate. You're brain and your body will adapt. Period."

Righto Bill give it a go. Floor it!

Let me know how you're doin in 5 years time.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 15, 2012 at 12:13:25 am

[Alex Hawkins] "Righto Bill give it a go. Floor it!

Let me know how you're doin in 5 years time.
"

I think I can probably tell you right now. Based on my personal experience.

About 9 years ago, I re-vamped my edit suite. I bought a nice editing desk console from Middle Atlantic.

It has a dedicated monitor bridge. (Before that my Cinema display was on my edit desk at normal desk level.)

So when I put it up on the bridge, know what happened? My neck was sore for about a week. I was using specific muscles that weren't conditioned for that angle. Over the first few months, know what? The neck pain disappeared as I adapted.

I've been using this desk and similar monitors at this same angle now for nearly a decade. And have NEVER had another problem.

This does not dismiss the reality or serious of RSI (repetitive strain injuries) and I have immense sympathy for people who suffer from them.

But over my career - I've never encountered much of that.

People are different. What bothers one specific human can't be easily extrapolated to the whole class of humans. And so I think the smart thing is to allow everyone to decide what's best for themselves.

But to "presume" that a big touchscreen will be a physiological disaster before much of anyone gets to try it for themselves is kinda silly, IMO.

Simple as that.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Feb 15, 2012 at 12:26:15 am

Mmmm yes interesting, I get your point Bill. But seriously, you don't think that the less the hands have to move the better?

I guess off the bat I just don't see any advantage of it for an everyday user. Mucking about on your iPad, sure, could be fun but doing it 8 to 5 Monday to Friday, I don't think it would be my first choice.

I'm curious, what do you see as the benefits of it?

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:42:58 pm

[Alex Hawkins] "Mmmm yes interesting, I get your point Bill. But seriously, you don't think that the less the hands have to move the better?

I guess off the bat I just don't see any advantage of it for an everyday user. Mucking about on your iPad, sure, could be fun but doing it 8 to 5 Monday to Friday, I don't think it would be my first choice.

I'm curious, what do you see as the benefits of it?
"

Well, there's actually a whole class of people - exercise physiologists - that would probably argue that the "the less the hands have to move the better" is simply bad thinking.

There was a movement a while back where executives were putting in "standing desks" to combat the problems of becoming too sedentary.

We all know that overweight and lack of activity trends have taking a huge toll on worldwide health.

That doesn't mean that everybody needs to do their computing while on a treadmill(!) - but it also tells us that working towards a system where movement is reduced to twitching a fingertip - comes with it's own problems.

The point is that alternatives are usually a good thing.

Then you or I get to sit and twitch a finger. And the music video editor gets to dance while they toss stuff around on the giant touch-screen.

That works for everyone.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 15, 2012 at 1:54:43 am

I don't understand you Bill. You too have options. Please stop lecturing people on whether they overthink or don't know how to adapt.

Personally I have been into software and hardware innovation and testing for over 25 years. So I am not a luddite that won't adapt. Rather I am someone who has tried these so called new technologies and found good reason like ergonomics to judge them as inferior. As I pointed out better ergonomic controllers would be vastly superior to touch screens. That point was proven in the DAW world 15 years ago.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:57:25 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I don't understand you Bill. You too have options. Please stop lecturing people on whether they overthink or don't know how to adapt. "

You want to spin it as "lecturing" then fine. I consider it "offering an alternative point of view." Nobody's forcing you to agree - and you're totally free to reject my thinking if you like. I thought the point of forums like this was open discussion? Is the problem that I'm not being "polite" enough in expressing my opinions? If so, then sorry. Tha'ts not my intent. For a lot of years I was a contributing editor for a national video magazine and paid to write declaratively and express a point of view. Probably too much of that has stuck with me. Sorry it bugs you.

[Michael Gissing] "Personally I have been into software and hardware innovation and testing for over 25 years. So I am not a luddite that won't adapt. Rather I am someone who has tried these so called new technologies and found good reason like ergonomics to judge them as inferior. As I pointed out better ergonomic controllers would be vastly superior to touch screens. That point was proven in the DAW world 15 years ago."

Then the market will point that out and they'll fail. But the contention will NEVER be proven if the market never gets the alternative to test out.

And don't forget that society is doing a bit of migration these days from the "office" model where a company pays lots of overhead for space, offices and facilities what are standardized for the "average" worker.

The trend towards individual empowerment, home offices, smaller scale entrepreneurial endeavor and individual expertise rising in utility compared to group dynamics might mean that somebody has their first opportunity to do things the way that THEY want, rather than how to corporation tells them to do them.

If so, what's so wrong with letting them try out editing on a large format touch screen?

Personally, I've been through large corporate "efficient assortment' exercises to determine what choices consumers are presented with in stores. I 'm kinda laughing now that the internet has made it perfectly possible for people to circumvent that entire process and access every possible "niche" product on-line.

Why shouldn't workspace options take a similar path?

You still get YOUR DAW the way you like it.

And so can I.

What exactly is wrong with that?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:02:46 pm

[Bill Davis] "Sometimes folks around here get so amazingly stuck on what they're used to that it baffles me."

True -- and it's exactly as dangerous as assuming that newer is always better.

We should evaluate new and old concepts critically.

[Bill Davis] "I think most of you guys are WAY over thinking the potential distractions and muscle use issues these things will generate. You're brain and your body will adapt. Period."

Gorilla arm [link] is real. Ergonomics matter. This has to be done correctly to avoid fatigue.

[Bill Davis] "Again, it's just another choice. And choice are nearly always a better thing than no choice."

Hear, hear.

From your keyboard to Apple's product development teams.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 15, 2012 at 9:55:15 pm

Questionable...errr... option ergonomics aside, going with a totally touch interface like that can be very slow compared to using keyboard short cuts in conjunction with a mouse/touchpad/trackball/wacom tablet/tangent panels/etc.,. For basic things (like rough clip assembly) it could work fine but the deeper you drill down you'll have to memorize abstract gestures for commands which tosses the 'intuitive' touch interface out the window.

Performing a three finger half circle counter clockwise, or whatever, to match frame a clip back to its bin isn't anymore intuitive than hitting shift-f but hitting shift-f is a lot faster.

With all this being said, how many people have used Avid's iPad app? I haven't but I'm curious about it.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:49:15 am

Im sorry guys, but this is about the stupidest thing I've ever seen! It may look cool, like it's right out of CSI or something, but it's certainly not very practical from an editors point of view anyway!

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:15:58 am

I don't understand why so many people think the touch interface is so bad. Who ever said that if a touchscreen is used, that you get "locked in" and can ONLY use that? Am I missing something?

I figure if you want to touch and drag a clip to the timeline, you can. If you want to hit a keyboard shortcut, do it. If you want to use your pen tablet, use it. I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck with only touchscreen editing, but surely would enjoy having it available!

I can't possibly see ANY negative that would come from having yet another option at my finger tips. Come on guys, have some frickin fun with it!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:23:53 am

[David Eaks] "I can't possibly see ANY negative that would come from having yet another option at my finger tips."

I see what you did there.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:29:52 am

[David Eaks] "I can't possibly see ANY negative that would come from having yet another option at my finger tips."

Price? Lighting for a horizontal or sloping screen?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:52:43 am

[David Eaks] "I don't understand why so many people think the touch interface is so bad. Who ever said that if a touchscreen is used, that you get "locked in" and can ONLY use that? Am I missing something?"
In the demo the touch screen was used exclusively which leads people to believe that the point of the demo is to show how touch screen can be used exclusively with an editing application. I don't think you can blame people for commenting on exactly what was shown in the video.

In a comment on the video Jason (the person giving the demo) mentions that he doesn't use the touchscreen all the time. A demo of him using the touch screen in conjunction with a keyboard and mouse/trackball/tablet/touchpad would be much more worthwhile, IMO. An obvious downside to using a mixed environment is that in order to use the touch screen you have to move your hand(s) away from the kb/m and to the monitor which begs the question, in what instances is it quicker to touch and grab a clip or touch the play button versus hitting the space bar, clicking the play button or clicking and dragging a clip?

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Feb 19, 2012 at 3:17:24 am

Now, I can see editing FCPX projects on your iPad such as shown in this video! As the guy in the video explains, it would come in hand if you were just wanting to walk across the hall to show a colleague an edit your working on. He is not actually running FCPX on a self contained iPad app, he's just using the iPad as an interface to a more powerful computer with FCPX on it. What would even be cooler would be several persons working on the same project on different iPads at the same time!

http://fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/457-fcpx-on-the-ipad

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 15, 2012 at 1:09:22 am

I was messing with a buddy's Samsung Galaxy S2 phone the other day (which as far as cell phones go, has a monster screen).

It has a feature that I thought was pretty cool, and pretty simple.

When typing, it gave you just a touch of vibration feedback. It was just enough to feel like you were pushing something, but not enough to drive you crazy.

There's no question in my mind that FCPX was built with a touch interface in mind. It might be a few years, or five years, but that foundation seems to be built.

Return to posts index

dermot shane
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:02:45 am

It's really not very new....

Discussion of the Ampex Ace touch screen editor from the 80's
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/12062

those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeate it...

Sucked to do a 14hr day on it then, arms killed, back hurt, fingers felt like they were stubs...

Gimme a 9x12 wacom please...

But new? gimme me a break... it's really not "new"

d

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:53:50 am

In my opinion, touching the screen doesn't really make sense because if you have a big screen, you have to move all over the place to do the work.

That said, I do like the idea of touch editing. Personally, what I would like to see, is a 12-14 inch touchscreen monitor (like a large-ish iPad) with dual hand touchscreen gestures. The monitor would be programable so you could create a custom set of buttons along the top for your most used shortcuts (they could even be macro-type shortcuts for combining several steps into one button).

But you would use this in concert with a keyboard because let's face it, aside from flawless dictation, there aren't many better ways to input characters into a computer.

A touchscreen could be at an ergonomic incline and you wouldn't have to wave your hands around all day to edit. I would edit the hell out of that kind of system.

On a related note, I was in Mac Mall a couple of weeks back and they had this great Wacom tablet monitor there, 30 inches or so. But it was absolutely difficult to work with unless it was practically laying on it's back. If you are going to go through with a touchscreen NLE, at LEAST make sure it can be laid mostly horizontal.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:55:20 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "There's no question in my mind that FCPX was built with a touch interface in mind. It might be a few years, or five years, but that foundation seems to be built."

If so, I'm going to invest all my money in shares of the company who make Windex.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:32:00 am

I think I would be faster with a Keyboard. :p

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Feb 19, 2012 at 6:32:44 am

If I were to awaken from a frozen state, from pre computing days, and I was shown two models to control these new "thinking machines" - one where I moved my hands around a screen with images, and one where I had remote control with lots of tactile response that allowed me to view the images without my mitts all over them - frozen guy's going with the keyboard, trackball and jog shuttle.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 19, 2012 at 8:07:32 am

I disagree. And you have a real world example of this. If you've ever seen a toddler take to an iPad. They pick it up immediately and instinctively. Mouse and keyboard take a lot more brain power then grabbing and pointing,

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Feb 19, 2012 at 8:20:17 am

[Juan Salvo] "I disagree. And you have a real world example of this. If you've ever seen a toddler take to an iPad. They pick it up immediately and instinctively. Mouse and keyboard take a lot more brain power then grabbing and pointing,
"

Well, first of all, I'm not sure you can disagree with a personal preference.

Secondly, the idea that something takes more brain power to master isn't a bad thing. Take physics for instance.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Feb 19, 2012 at 9:16:11 am

Let me take my point a little further, beyond the obvious, "just because something's new doesn't mean it's inherently better" thing.

Fingers have amazing sensory and manipulative abilities, and our ability to do amazing things with them comes from eons of evolution. All of this tactile response isn't because millions of years of previous fingers moved over glass surfaces.

We're wonderfully evolved to manipulate 3D surfaces. For instance, I'm sitting at an electric grand piano right now. On the screen that I'm typing, I can call up a virtual version of it...all 88 keys that will trigger the same 3GB samples. There's no way anyone can input or manipulate the data/keyboard on the 2D surface with the control, dexterity and speed that you can on the physical grand piano's responsive keys. Now add the sustain pedal...

Another advantage of the tactile feel from even a thin Mac extended keyboard, for instance, is the ability to train your fingers to do a vocabulary of commands quickly, without looking at them or the keyboard while you're visually processing information on the screen.
In other words, you're able to use a tactile and visual skill set simultaneously with 3D input.

Musicians, editors and typists can learn to fly on their devices specifically because of what they can feel and how they've trained their brains and developed muscle memory to work in a precise, defined, 3D area.

I don't think fingers can be trained to perform a similar non-visual simultaneous skill if there's nothing for them to reference and train on physically.

I think there are lot's of techniques and devices for inputing and expressing information that won't be improved with fingers on a 2D screen.

Return to posts index

T.a. Franks
on Feb 19, 2012 at 12:18:49 pm

I kinda agree and disagree, this is the same discussion when the mouse hit the market and look what happen to that.
I have seen a musician play a virtual keyboard on a iPad with no stress, laid it down on the desk and went to town with it.
Another example Smoke is design for the tablet to use muscle memory.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 19, 2012 at 1:22:00 pm

[Jim Giberti] "Fingers have amazing sensory and manipulative abilities, and our ability to do amazing things with them comes from eons of evolution. All of this tactile response isn't because millions of years of previous fingers moved over glass surfaces."

Not to say that these skills can't be applied to glass...eventually. The larger issue for me remains precision. Being precise on an iPad is a pain in the ass. Can you imagine trying to use that text selection "press, magnifying glass, slide...oops, dangit, press again, etc" process for multiple fields of metadata?

I'm not saying that you need arrow keys per se, but in the current scheme of things, there's not a simple way to nudge something on any touch interface I've worked with (not that I've worked with them all), and frankly, I need all the nudge tools I can get my hands on.

And better access to an undo button, or even better, a list of previous undos a la Media Composer. I can imagine a touch interface getting there eventually...maybe...but I don't see anything coming that will increase my precision. The solution for now seems to be more toward the application making MY precision part of the "old, outdated" way of doing things, by linking things together in ways that avoid circumstances where precision is called for, like re-syncing.

Good for them for thinking of ways to reduce my opportunities for making mistakes. Fooey on them for thinking of ways to reduce my opportunities.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 19, 2012 at 3:51:08 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I'm not saying that you need arrow keys per se, but in the current scheme of things, there's not a simple way to nudge something on any touch interface I've worked with (not that I've worked with them all), and frankly, I need all the nudge tools I can get my hands on."

Oy, exactly.

LogMeIn gives you arrow keys on their virtual keyboard, and they make a huge difference.

I keep seeing these demos of laser keyboards. Maybe something like that might be a control surface of the future?

You keep your hands off the screen leaving more real estate, you won't cover the screen with your hands, you could have a 3d control surface with moving parts, just no electronics.

If you read some of Apple's development docs, they explicitly say that for now, tablet app design should be made for short periods. You get on, find what you need and move on.

That being said, I do like the trackpad gestures in Lion. I find them very useful and makes certain actions more efficient.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:48:44 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "That being said, I do like the trackpad gestures in Lion. I find them very useful and makes certain actions more efficient."

Agreed. Of all the things that have matured out of the touch explosion, I'd say the multi-gesture glass trackpad experience is by far my favorite, and by far the most useful. After two years of use, I'm not soured on pads, but I do find them limiting in many ways I never expected.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:55:38 pm

[Chris Harlan] "After two years of use, I'm not soured on pads, but I do find them limiting in many ways I never expected."

I know this will sound weird, but those limitations are purposeful. As I mentioned, if you read the Apple documents on how they envision designing a touch app, what it's used for and for how long it's used, it fits the model they envision for now.

I'm not saying this won't need to change, and that this is the way it's going to be forever, but as Apple does, they are taking it slow.

Although, with the announcement of Mountain Lion, they seemed to have hit the skip chapter button a little bit. I just hope Mountain Lion included some real AVFoundation control and goodness.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 20, 2012 at 5:11:56 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I know this will sound weird, but those limitations are purposeful. As I mentioned, if you read the Apple documents on how they envision designing a touch app, what it's used for and for how long it's used, it fits the model they envision for now. "

What you are saying is interesting, but what I'm referring to is the lack of precision that seems to be a natural byproduct of using the screen itself instead of an analog device like a trackpad or touchscreen. I've been working with touch-like screens since I got a Cintiqe about four years back, and they have definite value, but nothing like I thought they'd have.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:01:48 pm

[Chris Harlan] "tself instead of an analog device like a trackpad or touchscreen"

"touchscreen" should have read "mouse or graphics pad."

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:52:21 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Being precise on an iPad is a pain in the ass."

Exactly!

[Tim Wilson] "Good for them for thinking of ways to reduce my opportunities for making mistakes. Fooey on them for thinking of ways to reduce my opportunities.
"

Hear, hear!

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:30:57 pm

Another quick musical analogy.
We were traveling while I was in the middle of a another project in the music world.
I picked up a Martin Backpacker, a tiny, lightweight guitar with a 3/4 scale neck that I could just carry on and store overhead.

It was great to be in Tortola working on the beach and on a boat, but what I gained in portability and convenience I lost in precision and more detailed control.

There are always going to be things that are best done bigger not smaller, and with an actual 3D interface built to match human physiology.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]