FORUMS: list search recent posts

Success Story?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shawn Bockoven
Success Story?
on Feb 12, 2012 at 6:47:11 pm

A corrupt hard drive inside one of editing stations set of a interesting chain of events. FCP X kept crashing and of course we wanted to blame Final Cut. Ran a repair disk for the heck of it only to find out there was a huge problem with the OS drive. We were able to rescue the Project file from the RAID, but not the Event from the Movies folder on the OS drive (bad management on the part of our editor, but that’s another story). Opened up the project file on another computer then used the relink tool on the timeline (or whatever you call it now) and the clips were back. Exported the timeline just to be safe, imported the media again and kept editing. I guess the relink feature works.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Success Story?
on Feb 12, 2012 at 6:54:33 pm

Very reassuring to know it works, thanks for posting

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Feb 12, 2012 at 7:19:39 pm

Quite a dramatic way to check it's working!

I've done some trials where I've duplicated files, set up an event and imported them, edited a trial project then shut down, trashed the files and reconnected to the originals.

And it all works really smoothly.

So it's a relief to have that facility again.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 13, 2012 at 1:43:29 am

Funny how basic functionality is applauded. Only Apple could get away with that.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:34:21 am

[Brian Mulligan] "Funny how basic functionality is applauded. Only Apple could get away with that."

Yes - you're right there!

Just imagine what we will be saying when we get our 2nd viewer back.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:38:55 am

I've tested Relink and it will relink shorter files to missing longer and visa versa in the timeline. This assuming the starting TC exists and is long enough to cover the range used.

I think this feature was added with the designers kicking and screaming. Such a thing should not be needed in their perfect world... welcome to reality. Let's hope reality continues to influence Apple.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:57:45 am

Just moved a feature project to another drive, 2500 clips, FCPX struggled to reconnect all the clips on the first pass and only managed about 50%, had to do the remaining clips in batches of 200 but at least it worked.

In the process of doing this I also managed to corrupt the event file, FCPX asked me if I wanted to revert to the saved backup and that worked too.

I know it's basic functionality, but it's still good to know there is a level of disaster recovery available.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]