FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI AV monitoring out from my graphics card in 10.0.3?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Schultz
HDMI AV monitoring out from my graphics card in 10.0.3?
on Feb 10, 2012 at 2:20:57 am

Anybody know if it's possible to set an HDMI TV coming out of my graphics card as my monitor in FCPX 10.0.03?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: HDMI AV monitoring out from my graphics card in 10.0.3?
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:57:13 am

As a 2nd monitor or main? Yes it will work either way.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 10, 2012 at 3:33:27 pm

What I/O device or card are you presently using, if any?

10.0.3 has video monitoring capability that Apple has labelled "beta" at this point. To display to TVs and monitors via HDMI requires an I/O device with HDMI out. So far, AJA and Blackmagic have released drivers for some of their cards and boxes. Matrox is releasing its drivers next week.

The results of this beta version have been mixed, but most have said they are experiencing imperfect playback do far. You can search this forum for posts on the subject.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 10, 2012 at 6:19:33 pm

He mentioned using his graphics card which requires a simple DVI or mini Display Port to HDMI adapter. I'm currently using a mini DP to DP cable from monoprice.com to go directly into a Dreamcolor for 2nd display - works great!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Justin Schultz
on Feb 10, 2012 at 6:31:11 pm

Thanks for the replies gents.

I'm actually trying to get the HDTV to been seen as the A/V out monitor from FCPX not just another display.

Right now with the HDTV hooked up, FCPX Preferences>Playback still shows "none found" for the monitor select drop down.

David you may be right about the beta-ness, since it's not coming out of a true I/O device and out of the HDMI port on my graphics card. My system is a little frankenstein-y. I have a non-Apple (Diamond) 5770 card hooked up to an external ExpressCard GPU dock on an old MBP.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2012 at 8:29:46 pm

Yeah, you can't do that and it probably never will. I have the same graphics card. A 5770 with HDMI out. HDMI is also a standard computer monitor connection. If you want to see that video, choose the put viewer on second display option and hook up your second display to the hdmi out. BTW - on the Mac, you can't use 3 monitors with that card if that's what you're trying to do. You can have 2 and the HDMI mirror the 2nd. But even if you could, it would just be another computer monitor output. HDMI and DVI are actually the same thing. HDMI is just DVI with audio added (and a different connector). But you're using the HDMI with computer refresh rates and such which is going to be judder land.

The AV out in FCP X 10.0.3 is for capture cards with drivers. AJA, BlackMagic, Matrox.

On my new iMac with FCP 7, I'm using the MiniDP to HDMI cable adapter to go to my HDTV until the come out with the Intensity Shuttle. Well I was. I went ahead and bought the Matrox thunderbolt adapter for my MXO2 mini which is now shared between 2 systems.

I still think they need to simply add HDTV monitoring via the Apple TV. Yeah, it will lag, but they might as well. If they come out with FCP X on iPad I'm sure that will be the monitoring of choice. Although currently limited to 720P.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:06:10 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "He mentioned using his graphics card which requires a simple DVI or mini Display Port to HDMI adapter. I'm currently using a mini DP to DP cable from monoprice.com to go directly into a Dreamcolor for 2nd display - works great!"

I know what Justin asked Lance, but the question was actually ill-conceived.

Sure, anyone can Gerry-rig a way to port the output of a computer display card to a TV or potentially even to broadcast monitor, but that's not the proper way to display a proper video signal to a TV or video monitor.

And of course, neither is your rig for porting your computer graphics to your Dreamcolor monitor. It might be handy, but technically, it's no better than displaying to an ordinary computer monitor. You might have the color tweaked closely enough for your work, but you won't be able to display fields properly or detect errors such as mismatched fields.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]