FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT- What I want on my iPad 3.....or 4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Walker
OT- What I want on my iPad 3.....or 4
on Feb 9, 2012 at 5:49:54 am

It is pretty much a given that the next rendition of iPad will have an HD Retina display, and will probably have a iOS version of FCPX available for it. If so Apple take note.

1. 128GB of storage
2. Thunderbolt connectivity
3. Gigabit WiFi (rumor is this is very close to being a reality on MACS)

I know we have the capability to record straight to an laptop in the field, (i've done with some success with Adobe's "On Location") but wouldn't be great to have a ProRes recording iPAD setting on the hot shoe connector of my camera. It could function as a Field production monitor, recorder, and same day editor all in one piece.

To add to that is the Air Play function that could play back the video to an Apple TV, wether it be a current Apple TV iOS device or the rumored actual "Apple TV"

I know that the iPad has 2 camera's on it, but I'm not ready to give up the flexibility built into my P2 camera just yet. I just wish that Panasonic, Sony or Canon, would put a Thunderbolt connector on a camera. The possibilities just boggle the mind.

I shuddered at NAB 21 years ago when I saw the Video Toaster demo proclaiming that a computer was going to replace my D-2 equipped edit suite. Now at 50, the technology doesn't scare me anymore.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: OT- What I want on my iPad 3.....or 4
on Feb 9, 2012 at 2:51:54 pm

I'm not so worried about increasing storage capacity. I wouldn't use it for music that much, except for maybe outside of streaming services, and I don't plan on carrying any kind of movie collection on it. 32GB is, for me, the most (works just fine on my iPhone 4S...still nowhere near filling it up).

Probably won't see Gigabit Wi-Fi either. Where would you be able to hook into that? I also don't see Thunderbolt as being an option...and, again, what would you do with it if you had it?

Probably better cameras, faster processor, quad-core, and perhaps a retina display.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Feb 9, 2012 at 3:29:10 pm

Gary,
I was not thinking in terms of personal use, a 16GB iPad 2 would suffice for me personally. I was coming from the standpoint of a device that we could use on a professional basis. If I could use an iPad connected either directly to a camera or through an i/o to create ProRes files in the field and then do a rough edit on that device, i think it would be awesome, hence my desire for much larger storage.

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 9, 2012 at 3:56:12 pm

You would need much larger than 128GB for that, and I highly doubt that the iPad will ever be able to be used in that manner, especially not for many years.

At least in the ProRes format. You can already shoot video with its camera and do a rough edit of the low-bitrate H.264 video it generates.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:09:36 pm

[Gary Huff] "Re: OT- What I want on my iPad 3.....or 4 by Gary Huff on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:56:12 am
"

I think I could enjoy using one for rough offline editing now and again, but I fear the offline/online process, along with things like TC, will never exist in Consumerville, and are rapidly being exorcised from Prosumertown as well. Pity.

The other side of it is, though, that the more I use an iPad--got one of the first ones--the more I appreciate laptops. There are a few interesting things that Pads do better, but I really do believe that the huge sales over the last few years have more to do with gee-whiz than their actual superiority to other portable computing platforms.

I do really like the hybrid elements that have been produced, however. The glass trackpad on a Macbook Pro is amazingly useful to me, and maybe that would not have come about without the iPhone and iPad.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:16:25 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I do really like the hybrid elements that have been produced, however. The glass trackpad on a Macbook Pro is amazingly useful to me, and maybe that would not have come about without the iPhone and iPad.
"

I think the Macbook Air is almost a hybrid iPad/Laptop anyway, perhaps they might offer a dual boot OSX/ iOS version with touch screen one day

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:28:57 pm

[Steve Connor] "I think the Macbook Air is almost a hybrid iPad/Laptop anyway, perhaps they might offer a dual boot OSX/ iOS version with touch screen one day
"

Yeah! I look at that as it is now and think about how cool it would be to use one as a casual editing device, though I can't make the argument that it should replace a 17 Macbook Pro. Still, the recent 17s are so light, that I'd be a fool to actually complain.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:14:39 pm

A 17" MacBook Pro with a 1TB drive in place of the Superdrive would be the cats meow for me. OWC is also offering 16GB of Ram for the current version model of MBP. That would beat my 2008 8 core, hands down.

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 10, 2012 at 3:20:28 am

[Don Walker]A 17" MacBook Pro with a 1TB drive in place of the Superdrive would be the cats meow for me.

You can already have that, though not direct from Apple.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:56:02 pm

[Steve Connor] "I think the Macbook Air is almost a hybrid iPad/Laptop anyway, perhaps they might offer a dual boot OSX/ iOS version with touch screen one day"

Hmmm... nice idea.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]