FORUMS: list search recent posts

Effects browser crashes app

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Effects browser crashes app
on Feb 7, 2012 at 2:11:41 am

Noticed after the update that if you do a lot of browsing using the effect browser - just skimming over various effects - it eventually crashes. May be RAM dependent (although I have 16GB), as it seems pretty consistent that you only get so far and then a crash occurs.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
Re: Effects browser crashes app
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:43:18 pm

I went 100% crash free until the upgrade and have experienced the same thing Oliver as well as a crash while CCing a clip, something that never happened before.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:29:07 pm

I've removed some of the third-party plug-ins to see if the situation improves. Don't know yet.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:31:08 pm

BTW - today the system is stable. No crashes. Last night I had removed the Coremelt Complete plug-ins, because I had experienced some of the crashes around those choices. May be unrelated, but no crashes now that they've been removed.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Feb 9, 2012 at 8:24:01 pm

Oliver,

I had a brief discussion a couple of months ago with Simon Ubsdell in the Techniques forum about possible plug-in bloat. I tend to download anything that Simon or others at the Cow create and I've already found use for a number of them, but most of them just sit there in the Effects Browser.

He didn't know at the time if having a ton of additional plug-ins would slow the start time of FCP X or even the program in general. This thread seems to imply that it could. The only crashes I've had recently were definitely connected to the real-time previews of effects. The worst offender in my case was the Gaussian Blur. Twice in one day, the preview brought up the spinning beach ball and I had to re-boot.

If plug-in bloat is a real issue like opening FCP X with too many Events and Projects, I wonder if someone can or will come up with a simple app like Event Manager to load and un-load plug-ins before you open FCP X. If nothing else, it would allow for easier troubleshooting.

Dave

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:28:24 pm

[Dave Gage] "He didn't know at the time if having a ton of additional plug-ins would slow the start time of FCP X or even the program in general. This thread seems to imply that it could."

An interesting question and worrying if it's true. I can only report that I have a large number of templates sitting in my various Motion Templates folders, including not only everything I have made for myself and obviously the effects I have shared with others, but also the massive FXFactory set, and I have had no problems associated with the Effects library.

Maybe I have been lucky, but it's possible there are particular sets of effects that are causing issues. I have heard a number of anecdotal accounts of issues with CoreMelt plug-ins which may or may not be actual issues.

I'm not at all sure that the sheer number of plug-ins is an issue in itself but obviously am keen to know if that is the case.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]