FORUMS: list search recent posts

Umm. Am I weird?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Umm. Am I weird?
on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:34:49 am

I mean, I know I'm weird, but I have been playing with Lion some.

You know what? I kind of like it.

On my MBP, the gestures are actually very useful (three finger drag is very nice, and fast). I like fullscreen, and as much as it's a real pain to setup, Launchpad is actually alright nice you get it organized and use a gesture to get to it (it takes way too long to get it organized, and is completely oversimplified at the point).

Sorry, I am so weird.

I will now go back to my corner of internet shunned questionable pro-ness.

go windows

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Umm. Am I weird?
on Feb 5, 2012 at 3:19:13 am

Yes you are but so am I. The magic trackpad I got a year ago finally had a point. Launchpad- I did just like my iPhone and organized the apps by type. Compression, editing, animation, DVDs, etc. Swiping between fullscreen apps is nice. Not just cuz it looks cool, but because I can swap apps without the dock or keyboard. But the whole thing feels very unfinished. Especially launchpad. Why'd they hide the user library? FCPX was also unfinished, and the iPhone 5 never came out, but the iPhone 4s with beta Siri did. Thunderbolt too. Came out without much to get for it. I think Steve was trying to cram 2-3 years of forward progress into 9 months.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 5, 2012 at 5:04:37 am

I like that I can still command tab in full screen and it doesn't ruin the full screen.

I do feel like in the midst of hitting the reset buttons, things have been hurried out the door.

Could have to do with Steve Jobs, or perhaps it's the way it is. Dunno.

Also, the install and update of Lion has been very smooth. Had an old Qio driver that caused some trouble on my laptop but easily fixed.

I also found this which will create a bootable Lion USB installer stick from the Lion download, good for when I need to update everyone in the studio: http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 5, 2012 at 3:35:10 pm

You can also just grab the download and burn it to a DVD and the DVD is bootable just like a store bought Snow Leopard DIsc.

I lost a few Rosetta apps. Like MS Office X. But needed to get the latest for docx stuff anyway.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 5, 2012 at 4:30:50 pm

[Bret Williams] "You can also just grab the download and burn it to a DVD and the DVD is bootable just like a store bought Snow Leopard DIsc. "

Hmmm was her the impressions that it's not that easy.

The lion disk maker makes an actual bootable partition instead of burning an app, but maybe I am missing something.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:54:06 pm

Finally being able to re-size an active window from any edge is nice.

The new layout of Mail is too.

Mission control is Okay, but lost some Spaces functionality.

I thought I would never like the new "natural" scrolling. Meaning, scrolling on a Magical Mouse or Pad is now like an iPhone or iPad. I've been scrolling the other way since, well since you could. But, if you don't use the new natural method, swiping between screens is backwards. I decided to give it a try and now I'm amazed I'm fully adapted to it. When I pick up my MacBook Pro it's frustrating because it's still running Snow Leopard.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 5, 2012 at 3:30:22 pm

This natural scrolling wasn't thought through. It really dates back to being a click lock on the scroll bar, which is very natural representation of where you are in a page. And it also makes sense on things like audio sliders in FCP 7 audio tool (remember how nice and useful that is guys?). But with natural scrolling on, you have to pull down to get the faders to move up. Hardly natural. But, I switched too. I dunno why. It was a little challenge.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 5, 2012 at 4:25:06 pm

I have turned off the natural scrolling, as well as the "open windows as I left them" or what Apple calls "Resume".

In the past, I felt like I never used these interface add ons, with Lion, I feel like there's some useful functions.

I do like the four finger "crunch" to bring up launch pad, and the jazz hand move to do away with it.

I wish there was a way to rearrange the launch pad pages and folders. Keep/add what I want, delete what's unnecessary.

I have no idea what Lion means for developers, my bet is that there's some problems since that seems to be the general consensus with Apple these days.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 5, 2012 at 6:00:26 pm

Personally, I wish Launch Pad would allow me to select and activate an app with the keyboard instead of having to click on it.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 5, 2012 at 6:02:54 pm

I, too, wish there were arrow keys on iOS devices.

Same idea..

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:27:08 am

VERSIONS is as good enough reason to never use Lion or FCP X. They need to make that an option yesterday.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:55:24 pm

That reminds me.

No Save As ...

Why in the world they eliminated that feature is beyond me.

Save As ... has got to be one of the oldest features found in the File Menu, for probably any application.

Well, except of course FCP X.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 6, 2012 at 2:41:18 am

I'd suggest you roll with it as Apple gives it to you, at least for a week. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll get annoyed with unnatural scrolling once you get used to it.

Check this out - if you use the Magic Mouse, two finger tap opens up mission control. Two finger swipe on the mouse switches between spaces, and you can get your library folder back via a terminal command that google will provide you.

I've been rolling with Lion since the first beta and really like it a lot. For an OS that's at .3, it's pretty awesome. It's also becoming more and more apparent that those who wish to customize and reject the apple way (logitech mice, DIY RAIDS, etc., are going to miss some of the most obvious and super easy features Apple products provide. So many folks reject the magic mouse, but man it's so addictive. I never thought it would replace my logitech, but it did. Do yourself a favor and get 'better touch tool' for the trackpad. I added a five finger tap to CMD-W (close window) and 3 finger tape to 'open in reader' for Safari. You can also make app specific ones for the trackpad for things like insert edit, overwrite, etc. So so awesome.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 5, 2012 at 3:34:06 pm

It's working for me, too. If you have a Wacom Bamboo tablet, you can drive the gestures on it with your fingers, too. If some of the Lion behaviors are not to your liking, there a utility called Lion Tweaks that lets you modify some of these behaviors.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 5, 2012 at 3:59:03 pm

I don't love it but also don't find it wildly difficult to adapt. And, as someone just said (sorry, I forget who) you can adjust certain functions so that they no longer appear backward as compared to previous versions. All in all I don't share the white hot hate that many people appear to have for Lion.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 5, 2012 at 4:29:48 pm

[Oliver Peters] "If you have a Wacom Bamboo tablet, you can drive the gestures on it with your fingers, "

Bummer. I have an Intous4. I'll check out Lion Tweaks.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 5, 2012 at 4:47:53 pm

[Oliver Peters] "If you have a Wacom Bamboo tablet, you can drive the gestures on it with your fingers, "

Oliver, does the bamboo work with the native Lion gestures or do you have to set it up in Wacom software?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 5, 2012 at 6:53:01 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Oliver, does the bamboo work with the native Lion gestures or do you have to set it up in Wacom software?"

I think you have to install their drivers. I haven't used it much, so I don't know how extensive the support is, but you do have the option of using it like a trackpad and at least some of the gestures work.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]