FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fianl Cut ProX update 10.03 disables program. Can I still get back the previous version???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Shamwell
Fianl Cut ProX update 10.03 disables program. Can I still get back the previous version???
on Feb 4, 2012 at 11:07:32 pm

This is about as frustrating as it can be.
Here is what has happened to me:
I launch FCPX and once its up, it starts rendering....slowly. And I don't know just what.!? Whether I a in the Project Pane or in the Editing Pane it rendering on startup. I have a 27inch-3.4g-i7-16gbRM
Before the update, I could view all of my Projects in HQ with no problem.
Now during playback I get a lot of dropped frames and eventually a message that says "Many Video Frames have been dropped during playback. The disk does not appear to be fast enough. Consider using proxy mode." And worse, anything I put in the editing window takes a very long time to render, unlike before. I had optimized my drives and had everything going where it should. FCPX makes a lot of files and can fill up your boot drive quick if you don't keep it clean or better yet make sure you create projects on your 2nd drive like I do and FCPX runs much smoother with less render time. I have 2 FW800 externals I keep Raw footage on. I export it to the HD2 drive for any active projects. I have deleted and installed the program twice, and updated the OS to 10.7.3(11D5ob), the one with the fix. Still the same. Anyone else have this same problem? And dose anyone know if Apple is aware of such problems yet? (Larry J. I know you are out there, you have to know something!)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Fianl Cut ProX update 10.03 disables program. Can I still get back the previous version???
on Feb 4, 2012 at 11:59:04 pm

I'm actually having some similar issues today.

Long renderers that seemed to go on forever.

I was also getting what appeared to be phantom "shared disk" messages and broken links to render files. - stuff that I tend to associate with Unix file management stuff, rightly or wrongly.

I just rebuilt my Disk Premissions and that seems to have made things a lot better.

I think there's a LOT of new code in this beast - and the old projects and files are having to sort themselves into the new array and stuff is getting messed up along the way. But that's just an un-educated suspicion. I haven't a clue what's going on under the hood.

I'm going to go slower and make sure I give the program time to re-render and reconnect stuff and try to stop being impatient and shutting down if something doesn't work instantly after a few clicks.

Hopefully, whatever "background tasks" that appear to keep auto-running have finally done what they need to do and things are stabilizing.

We'll see.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Fianl Cut ProX update 10.03 disables program. Can I still get back the previous version???
on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:16:56 am

I'm not sure if this is related, but I did the OS 10.7.3 update yesterday. I noticed that after the update, Spotlight wanted to re-index something. Could if be that this might also be going on in the background?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:59:11 pm

Well that doesn't sound good. I haven't had a chance to download the update yet. Now, I'm not sure I will.

Long renders, as in longer, or it's re-rending things?

You're getting error messages about missing render files? Is this causing things to re-render?

Bill, please post back after you've had more time with 10.0.3.

Return to posts index

Craig Shamwell
on Feb 5, 2012 at 5:18:49 pm

To those who have replied: Yes I did update my OS as well as the "fix" Apple quietly and swiftly released a few days later. And yes it is re-rendering "everything" it seems after every launch. And I did notice that when I re-set the playback to HQ, everything gets worse and files seem to be missing. And "yes" at this point I would not recommend updating until Apple fixes this problem as I see now I am not the only one. While I have had my criticisms of FCPX, and still think there should be options to have more control of the timeline, I have to say it grows on you everyday you use it...and just hope they (Apple) get it right...soon. Multi-cam editing will be much appreciated and looks to be a great new approach to it. But as of this moment, my editor is down. I can't use it. So I will be patient and contact the App Store and see if I can get version 2 back on my machine until they get the bugs out of version 3.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Feb 6, 2012 at 2:01:56 pm

It makes me wonder who, if anyone does beta testing for them? Internal testing is one thing. But you really need to let users (who are willing) to test your software as well. There are some limitations with internal testing. For one, their systems are probably properly maintained. They probably do clean installs of all their software. As opposed to users you have upgraded their systems a variety of ways over time. The OS and the applications.

They are probably using the same media over and over as well. Handing the SW off to real users you'll find issues you probably won't find testing it yourself.

Return to posts index

Craig Shamwell
on Feb 6, 2012 at 4:52:47 pm

Just talked to Apple (phone was low on juice, go figure!) Nice guy who is an editor gave me a few things to do, so after re-installing it I will get back to you and let you know if it worked.

Return to posts index

Chris Lambert
on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:43:48 am

Any joy? I hope were not going to have too wait another 2-3months for another update too make this program workable! I stuck with FCPX through all the initial problems but its been a week and nothing i simply cannot work professionally waiting 15+ seconds for the computer to register a backspace delete this section edit, whilst i background render the same 20sec clip i was 3hrs ago. REFUND time apple i think

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 7, 2012 at 11:15:04 am

Is it doing it on new projects? Not everyone is getting this issue, I'm not getting it on my system so far even with old projects but there are lots of reports on the Apple forum of it happening.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17523467#17523467

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 7, 2012 at 4:09:35 pm

Messy 24 hours- then everything seems back to normal.

I'm slammed with deadlines, but X is chewing through the edits with no problems.

No time to experiment, since paid work deadlines are almost daily so far this month.

More when I have time, but all seems well in both my laptop and MacPro where I'm alternating on two different projects (one video, one stills against VO)

All appears well.

Suspect Oliver may be correct about background indexing.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Shamwell
on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:31:40 pm

Well, I am still in transition...
I verified and repaired any disc permissions. And while it seemed a bit more stable, after every launch FCPX has to re-render everything to be played back at HQ. The same is true when I add a project to the timeline from the project window. It seem as though there is some kind of connection/communication problem from projects created in the previous version. One of my projects (a 30sec spot), its main VO was distorted, like a alien filter had been applied. The left and right channels bounced as well. Its still happening.
I talked with a nice Kid named Aaron at Apple and he said he had not heard of any problems and that everything was fine on his machine. He said he was an editor himself, and seemed sincerely concerned.
I guess we can only hope that there is enough buzz for Apple to check it out and find out if its inside the program or if there is a download problem, or its an issue with the recent OS upgrade.
The bottom line is this. With the addition of Multicam Editing, along with other new enhancements, FCPX will be the single best on-the-fly-editor money can buy for web editors especially..... If it can run SMOOTHLY! I have several projects coming up this week and I will see how it goes, but right now my shyt is not running smoothly.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:13:56 am

[Craig Shamwell] "The bottom line is this. With the addition of Multicam Editing, along with other new enhancements, FCPX will be the single best on-the-fly-editor money can buy for web editors especially..... If it can run SMOOTHLY! I have several projects coming up this week and I will see how it goes, but right now my shyt is not running smoothly."

It's just past 2am here.

In the past 48 hours, I've had to deliver two projects as rough cuts.

So I was seriously concerned when I had those issues the day after the 10.0.3 release.

But everything appears to have settled down. I had one evening, one overnight, and a morning where things were a little squarely. I did some cleaning out of older Events (moved them to alternate drives) and did that one "repair permissions" via Disk Info - and everything seems to be fine now.

Got two more projects out the door yesterday, and one more has about 5 minutes to go before I upload it via YouSendIt.

Whatever was happening to X over the weekend, appears to be over. At least in my work.

YMMV.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]