FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matrox drivers coming soon

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
Matrox drivers coming soon
on Feb 4, 2012 at 4:12:16 am

I just received good news for Matrox MXO2 users. The new drivers for FCPX 10.0.3 re going to be released the week of Feb. 13th.

As everyone knows, "pro" monitoring is in its initial beta release in X 10.0.3, so rather than rushing to release them, the Matrox gang decided to tweak their drivers a bit more.

Let's hope they can get more out of them than the other I/O manufacturers who've had some reported issues with the new monitoring features.

Hope this helps...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
Re: Matrox drivers coming soon
on Feb 4, 2012 at 4:43:30 pm

David,
Are you a Matrox user? I have been an AJA fan, despite the higher cost, because of their great product support. Now because my LHe is not supported, and I believe that FCPX will become my NLE of choice, I am looking at buying a new I/o device. The Matrox devices intrigues me, because of the ability to have the Compress HD option integrated into the i/o as opposed buying it as a separated PCIe card.
Are there any significant reasons not to go with Matrox as opposed to AJA?

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 4, 2012 at 7:31:55 pm

[Don Walker] "David,
Are you a Matrox user?"

Yes sir! And AJA too...

[Don Walker] "The Matrox devices intrigues me, because of the ability to have the Compress HD option integrated into the i/o as opposed buying it as a separated PCIe card.
Are there any significant reasons not to go with Matrox as opposed to AJA?"

What I like about the Matrox MXO2 line is the portability and ease of connection of their devices, and the MAX h.264 encoding feature, which is found no other I/O devices. AJA's PCIe Cards are more limiting at times, in the sense that their firmware is not as easily flashed and updated as it is with the Matrox devices. So, as you've seen, some PCIe cards can become obsolete faster than the MXO2 devices, which were built to be easily updated.

There are certain times when new Matrox drivers have been delivered a bit later than those from AJA, but that has not been a deal-breaker for me or for most users. Plus, I try to stay in touch with the Matrox product development manager, and that sometimes means that we on this forum get access to new drivers before they are released to the public.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 4, 2012 at 7:47:47 pm

I might actually look at an MX02 when the drivers come out.

I've kept away from Matrox after being badly burned years ago when PPro came out and my shops Matrox Digisuite cards weren't ever going to be supported by it, ( Sounds familiar!)

But I've heard lots of good things about them nowadays

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 4, 2012 at 8:23:24 pm

Steve,

I think you'll like the small footprint of the MXO2 devices, and their wonderful adaptability, which allows for connection via a single cable to every kind of Mac available; PCIe bridge (MacPro), Express card (older MBPs), and now T-bolt (iMac, and newer MBPs).

The elegant design of the MXO2 line, with outputs on the back and inputs on the front means you can have a very attractive and handy little patch bay right on your desktop, that will keep you off your knees at those awkward times when clients are watching you connect any outboard devices you might have to hookup to you system. The AJA breakout boxes are similar functionally, but not nearly as elegant by design.

I find the HDMI inputs and outputs of the MXO2 line are really handy too, providing an inexpensive one cable monitoring solution, with audio if needed.

BTW, effective immediately, I begin a new career phase as I move over to ProMax Systems, where I'll be joining the post-production sales team in the ProMax Burbank offices.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 4, 2012 at 8:25:20 pm

Thanks David, good luck in the new job!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 4, 2012 at 8:26:56 pm

[Steve Connor] "Thanks David, good luck in the new job!"

Thanks! I appreciate that Steve.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:01:17 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "BTW, effective immediately, I begin a new career phase as I move over to ProMax Systems, where I'll be joining the post-production sales team in the ProMax Burbank offices.

David Roth Weiss"

Congratulations, David.

Your company founder, Charles McConathy was a huge force in adapting hard drives into Mac workflows in the early days. I was privileged to sit with him at quite a few NABs back in the day learning a modest amount about the ins and outs of storage technology out of his immense wealth of deep, deep knowledge.

I bought my first few DV based systems from him, bypassing more local vendors because he always knew "what worked best" for a given configuration.

He is greatly missed by all of us who got to know him.

Glad to see you continuing that proud ProMax tradition.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:19:14 pm

Don, If you are interested, I have decided to sell my Kona3 card. I am switching to da Vinci and they need a Decklink card so I am prepared to sell at a reasonable price as the Decklink and NVIDIA cards that I need are not as expensive as the Kona3 was.

I love this card but it has to go to make way for da Vinci. email me privately if any one is interested

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:51:19 pm

[Bill Davis] "Glad to see you continuing that proud ProMax tradition."

Thank you Bill. Those are kind words and I appreciate your going out of way to express them.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Feb 5, 2012 at 1:38:20 am

This is great to hear David.
I was literally just looking at the MX02 mini for my home studio where I'm doing more and more work.
I was thinking it could be a nice solution when fcpx got it's monitoring worked out.
I wonder if the monitor calibration feature has anything going on.

On the ProMax note, congratulations on the move.
Talk about bringing back memories. Charles was my long distance mentor when we were setting up the first Mac based NLE in our region. PP 1.0 on a Quadra 840 AV all specced and done through ProMax.
His was a name that was used regularly around my shop...I haven't heard it in too long.

Talk about circles being unbroken.
I feel like we're distant cousins or something.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:56:59 am

[Jim Giberti] "I wonder if the monitor calibration feature has anything going on."

My monitor is calibrated professionally, so I have not used the Matrox utility other than just to give it a cursory check. I've been told that it works quite nicely if you have a properly sized monitor that allow it to map pixels 1 to 1.

[Jim Giberti] "On the ProMax note, congratulations on the move."

Thank you Jim. I know you want one of everything, so my job will be to make sure you only order what you really need.

[Jim Giberti] "Charles was my long distance mentor when we were setting up the first Mac based NLE in our region. PP 1.0 on a Quadra 840 AV all specced and done through ProMax. His was a name that was used regularly around my shop...I haven't heard it in too long."

Like you Jim, everyone I talk to has so many great things to say about Charles. He was a legend in his own time they say.

[Jim Giberti] "Talk about circles being unbroken.
I feel like we're distant cousins or something."

I used to have good friends up in Burlington, and I shot a film up there with them while I was in film school at Boston University. So, I have fond memories of your hood, and a very good mental picture of you in your studio, skimming away in FCPX.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Feb 5, 2012 at 7:00:33 am

David,
Thanks for your answer...... I have been in visiting my sons at college all day so I just got around to reading it. I got a lot of soul searching to do, because like Michael Gissing, I too would also like to use Resolve someday, which would preclude both AJA and Matrox.

Michael, I would love to have a Kona 3, but like I mentioned above, I have a lot of pro's and con's of each board to evaluate, before I make a decision.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 5, 2012 at 7:17:09 am

Thanks Don. The 'make an offer on the Kona3' is serious and open to anyone.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Feb 5, 2012 at 10:20:59 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "BTW, effective immediately, I begin a new career phase as I move over to ProMax Systems, where I'll be joining the post-production sales team in the ProMax Burbank offices."

David,

Good luck and best wishes for your new future.

Are we still going to be graced with your portrait at the top of this (and various other) forum?

Kind Regards,

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 5, 2012 at 11:07:01 pm

[Alex Hawkins] "Good luck and best wishes for your new future."

Thanks Alex.

[Alex Hawkins] "Are we still going to be graced with your portrait at the top of this (and various other) forum?"

Well, I can't say definitively just yet, but certainly I'd like to keep contributing here, just as I've been doing since the dawn of recorded time. :)

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:14:21 am

That would be great David.

I know I'd miss your insights and sage advice (witty and acerbic comments free of charge).

Cheers.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:38:28 am

[Alex Hawkins] "I know I'd miss your insights and sage advice (witty and acerbic comments free of charge)."

Thank Alex. I love ya man!!!

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 6, 2012 at 8:56:37 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Well, I can't say definitively just yet, but certainly I'd like to keep contributing here, just as I've been doing since the dawn of recorded time. :)
"

Well if the Mayans are right you only need to stay on here for another few months and you can get to the end of recorded time too!

Seriously, I hope you manage to find the time to keep contributing.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:56:44 am

[Steve Connor] "Well if the Mayans are right you only need to stay on here for another few months and you can get to the end of recorded time too!"

Well then, the Apple software development team better get cracking so X is done before Armageddon, cuz we'll want to document it, and we won't want to take the time to transcode. Right?

[Steve Connor] " I hope you manage to find the time to keep contributing."

Thanks Steve! I appreciate that...

DRW

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]