FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX- a jilted mistress.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Scioli
FCPX- a jilted mistress.
on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:44:18 am

Yes, I admit that FCPx BLOWS. New iterations come out, such as 10.0.3 or 7to x, I get psyched up and start trying to work in X for a while, then the thing just gets really cumbersome, buggy, counterintuitive and I have to spend a lot of time doing things that in FCP7 i could do in 1 minute.

I really want it to work, but after the 100th time, I admit it sucks.

But I'll try it again with the next upgrade/add-on/plug, etc. that comes along.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
Re: FCPX- a jilted mistress.
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:40:13 am

[Don Scioli] " have to spend a lot of time doing things that in FCP7 i could do in 1 minute."

When FCP first came out, how long did it take you to do those things?

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Feb 4, 2012 at 2:44:10 pm

I was using a NLE called Cinestream so I didn't get into FCP until v. 3 or so. Cinestrem was much easier to se than FCP and I was using Avid before that and it was much quicker than FCP, though you had to eat lunch or dinner while it rendered.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:02:07 pm

[Michael Sanders]When FCP first came out, how long did it take you to do those things?

When FCP first came out, consumer desktop NLEs where still in their infancy. Now we have a decade of development and still have these issues?

Please.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:28:29 pm

[Gary Huff] "When FCP first came out, consumer desktop NLEs where still in their infancy. Now we have a decade of development and still have these issues? Please."

And, let's not forget, FCP 1 wasn't replacing an existing NLE that had already undergone ten years of refinement that made it the most popular NLE on the planet. The argument that X is only in it's first version only flies so far - as others have said, 10.0.3 should probably have been Apple's first "public" beta release.

Good news is, Apple seems to have shaken-up their PR department a bit. It's clear they've been paying attention to all the complaints and they seem to thinking a bit more clearly now, and are, at the very least, trying to make a concerted effort to regain some of the PR loses they earlier ceded to AVID and Adobe.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 6, 2012 at 2:23:13 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "And, let's not forget, FCP 1 wasn't replacing an existing NLE that had already undergone ten years of refinement that made it the most popular NLE on the planet. "

Well, maybe it was kind of doing exactly that. :-)

The basics back then really were very much the same: source/record, tracks, etc. FCP 1 didn't require a complete rewiring of the brain because it discarded many of the basic interfaces and underlying schemes associated with professional editing for the previous 10 years. The changes in FCP were meaningful, but still relatively iterative.

Blowing it all up might be a good idea blah blah blah, but when we talk about what FCPX replaced, let's call it 20+ years of refinement.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:48:14 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Blowing it all up might be a good idea blah blah blah, but when we talk about what FCPX replaced, let's call it 20+ years of refinement."

I think we're in agreement Tim, but it's tough to tell with you most of the time. :)

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Brad Davis
on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:09:36 pm

Dave- How did Apple reorganize the PR department over this? Just curious because this is the first I've heard of it.

Thanks,

Brad

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 7, 2012 at 4:04:24 pm

[Brad Davis] "Dave- How did Apple reorganize the PR department over this? Just curious because this is the first I've heard of it. "

If you read the following Apple press release, you'll see that Apple steals pages right out of the AVID and Adobe playbook, and you'll see they actually put names and email addresses on to, which I think is a first (at least lately).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-Updates-Final-Cut-Pro-X-bw-959590638.ht...

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Brad Davis
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:29:57 pm

I'm kind of chuckling over this and didn't realize it. Most if not all PR departments do that but Apple chose not to (until recently) to contain their public image. Maybe its a result of the fiasco or that Mr. Jobs isn't around anymore and that perception needs to change for the business sector.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:21:15 pm

[Brad Davis] "I'm kind of chuckling over this and didn't realize it. Most if not all PR departments do that but Apple chose not to (until recently) to contain their public image. Maybe its a result of the fiasco or that Mr. Jobs isn't around anymore and that perception needs to change for the business sector."

I too had a chuckle, and can't help thinking that this is an attempt at thinking outside the box for our friends at Apple. I'm surprised no one else has even mentioned it.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]