FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project and Media on same volume

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Project and Media on same volume
on Feb 3, 2012 at 8:45:18 pm

FCPX is moving in the right direction feature wise. See my recent discovery about growing/updated files in the Debate forum. We still have issue architecturally in regards to storage and project organization.

We are Xsan based and because of how FCP, and really every other app, saves projects we have an Xsan volume dedicated to projects and others dedicated to media, including renders. Our project volume is obviously smaller and less potent than our media volumes. FCPX saves render files in it's self defined project folder. This is a big problem for us in terms of performance required for playback and managing overall project location and size. We do allow AE render files in the project volume due to their sporadic use but render files would overwhelm the volume I fear.

The other issue is organization because FCPX projects can't be directed to enclosing folders that contain every other project file for a job. The only option is to let FCPX make it's project folder then save all the others in there.

How are others dealing with media files sharing the same volume as projects and how are you saving other apps project files for the same job?

I'm going to send a request to Apple to allow render files to be split off to a media volume.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Project and Media on same volume
on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:18:28 pm

I'm just running the trial, but yeah, I don't let FCP touch my system drive. Everything goes on the pegasus raid.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Feb 4, 2012 at 2:32:59 am

I used to have my projects and media on the same 8-drive miniSAS raid, and felt FInal Cut X ran slow. I moved my projects to a different drive (my system drive) and it's been running faster since.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 4, 2012 at 2:45:22 am

Performance aside, doesn't it fill up with render files very quickly?

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Feb 4, 2012 at 5:26:14 am

Yes, it does fill up my system drive (a 250GB SSD). It's one of the little inconveniences that go with FCPX.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]