FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X does not have Log and Capture (or transfer) feature

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Ohara
Final Cut Pro X does not have Log and Capture (or transfer) feature
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:36:53 pm

Just purchased FCP X, it doesn't have a log and capture command. The reason I purchased was to use the Canon MXF plug in to import my files from my Canon XF100. All the Apple site says is that Canon XF files are supported with 3rd party software - anyone know how/where I can make this work?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Final Cut Pro X does not have Log and Capture (or transfer) feature
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:41:30 pm

I have not been able to find a page for Final Cut Pro X on the apple site. Do you have a link? The only data is in the app store. I think you're referring to FCP 7,

I would assume though, that FCP X can natively use your footage. I haven't downloaded yet. Is it just import?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:44:04 pm

Never mind. It just wasn't there early this morning I guess.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:46:33 pm

[Bret Williams] "I would assume though, that FCP X can natively use your footage. I haven't downloaded yet. Is it just import?"

i opened a card i shot on the AGAF100, FCPX refers to it as a camera archive.

i clicked import all and in a few seconds was able to work with all my shots, apply effects and color correction to the all quite smoothly.

i didn't select the create proxies or prores option so these were native AVCHD files

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:50:25 pm

Gary Adcock's article is coming any minute, I promise. :-)

Here's what it says about this:

INGEST OR IMPORT?
Since there is not a way to open previous projects, your best practice here is to start from scratch with the newest tapeless camera you have access to.

However, while Apple’s approach with FCPX defaults to ingesting the media directly from the camera, a reality is that we no longer shoot our projects on a single camera or a single form of media.That concept precludes using the camera as a media ingest device, especially when you consider that many cameras use USB as the only connection, yet I can transfer from SxS, SDHC or CF cards over SATA at 10x the speed of USB.

My main reasoning for this is simple- why bother hanging a camera when you can edit with the content directly from the cards while the transfer of media is going on in the back-ground? The only difference is when the media copy is complete your timeline playback be-comes noticeably faster.

Currently FCP X easily supports the DSLR cameras, Panasonic’s P2 and AVC-I format cameras along with any Apple Devices. My pre-release version of the software had some issues with importing of Sony’s EX and XDCAM formats, so I resorted to using the XDCAM Transfer Tool.

There is no support for any of the RAW camera formats or frame based workflows like DPX or Tiff working with this release. Workarounds for higher end cameras include using the QT reference files with R3D media, and just importing ProRes from the ARRI Alexa. However in both of these cases much of the camera metadata is ignored.

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:57:34 pm

So, how did you use the XDcam transfer tool, please?

I've just installed FCP X on my secondary edit system after making system clones onto a partitioned drive and an external drive. I can still run FCP 7 on my system, so I haven't lost anything, just gained what I hope is a new editing app that'll be added to rapidly by Apple.

An import to FCP X from my NEX FS-100 worked fine, but no such simple luck with XDcam EX cards.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:40:49 pm

Never mind, just exported files from the XDcam transfer tool to a folder and then imported that. Clumsy but works.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Randy Ohara
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:51:10 pm

The Canon XF100 uses MXF file format - and the FCP X import feature doesn't recognize it. In FCP 7 you can use the Canon XF plug in and use the log and capture command (which is missing from X)

Return to posts index

Jim Strater
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:41:35 pm

Same problem here. i have a Canon XF100. How do I get my video into Final Cut Pro X?

35 years and never had a real job

Return to posts index

David Bishop
on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:00:01 pm

Same here. I downloaded FCPX this morning. I thought it was supposed to support MXF native, but I can't even find a way to make it work with "extra software".

Return to posts index

David Bishop
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:08:06 pm

Evidently the Canon XF Cameras aren't supported: http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/cameras/en/index.html

??????

Return to posts index

Don Connors
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:21:20 pm

I can't get FCPX to recognize (import or ingest) AVCHD files that I copied with file structure intact over to a hard drive. Premiere sees them and plays them with NO problem... what's happening?

Any suggestions much appreciated...

Don

Return to posts index

Randy Ohara
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:40:59 pm

I believe someone else commented that you need to hook up directly to your camera - you can't bring in the files if you've copied to your drive (even if you have all the file structure).

Return to posts index

Don Connors
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:53:29 pm

Actually, I was able to do it....something about opening an archive... sorry I can't be more specific... I'm in France with only internet access at a McDonald's... can't even learn FCPX as the help files are all on line....

more later when I have better inet access

regards,

don

Return to posts index

Travis Lee Moser
on Oct 1, 2012 at 3:58:46 pm

ARRRRGGGHHHHHH! Sorry, I know it's not cool to start with that but I "log & capture" in FCP& from a live feed. Video switcher to Blackmagic Decklink SDI video input card to FCP7. Now X doesn't even SEE my video card. Any help guys?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]