FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Soundcard for 5.1 editing/monitoring

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sjaak Doedens
External Soundcard for 5.1 editing/monitoring
on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:27:02 pm

I have an iMac 27" with an i5 processor. I like to edit videos using FCP X. Now I want to edit 5.1 sound. In order to monitor sound I have an external sound card, the optical output of the iMac is not sufficient and I mean to edit 5.1 sound in FCP X!

But what sound card do I need?? In a training video from Larry Jordan I saw that you really need an external sound card. He advises in his video the M Audio Fast Track Ultra. This USB Audio Card is 'End Of Life' (the Netherlands). A company I wanted to order this card they offered me for the same price the M Audio C600 (actually the successor to the Fast Track Ultra. A nice offer.

Yesterday I installed the card. As far as I can see I managed all items I get sound out of the card only it's stereo...I still can't edit 5.1 sound with FCP X...

Who knows what card do I really need? Or am I still missing something in the C600? Also in MIDI / Audio configuration I set a 5.1 setup (speaker setup) but I cannot assign the different channels to the different output (6 of them, they are stil paired in stereo 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6).
Now I'm looking at the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24. I saw on Youtube a guy who has this card working with FCP X (??) but there's no sound on this video....

There is so little information about this topic (hardware for FCP X). Who has the key for me? Who has an audio card (USB or Firewire) with working 5.1 sound on FCP X (and can edit this!!!)

I'm actually now more than a year to get this workling and I'm also getting something frustrated....

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
Re: External Soundcard for 5.1 editing/monitoring
on Feb 3, 2012 at 9:00:39 am

There are a number of Firewire based external units available that would meet your requirement. I use an RME Fireface 800.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Sjaak Doedens
on Feb 3, 2012 at 9:12:24 pm

Thanks Geoff for your answer!! I really appreciate!

Do you have some cheaper solutions? The ME fireface 800 is too expensive for me. Pricerange between the 200 - 400 dollars?

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:15:02 pm

Have a look at M-Audio, they produce a two channel USB interface that comes with a cut down copy of Pro Tools for around abot $150.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Feb 4, 2012 at 11:00:16 am

Sorry, that unit only provides two channel output. Hve a look at the M-Audio Profire 610 (6 in, 10 out)about $350, the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 (8in 6 out) about $220.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Sjaak Doedens
on Feb 4, 2012 at 5:39:23 pm

Thanks again Geoff! I think I'm gonna give it a try with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24! If I have succes, I'll let you know.

Return to posts index

Sjaak Doedens
on Feb 12, 2012 at 12:38:10 pm

Geoff, at last...... SUCCESS!!!!!! Yesterday my Saffire Pro 24 arrived. It was a bit difficult for a good routing of the audio interface but now I can finally edit and monitor 5.1 sound! Thanks for your support!!!

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Feb 13, 2012 at 10:26:32 am

Good news, pleased to hear that its all going well.

Focusrite have a good reputation.

geoff

Return to posts index

Justin Lamoureux
on Jan 7, 2014 at 1:49:00 am

Can either of you explain how you have hooked everything up? I purchased an m-audio 1814 and then returned it because I could not get it to work with my system.
I just purchased a Pioneer receiver and have it hooked up to 2 mains, 1 center, 2 rear and a sub. I am at fault here for trying to use a receiver to monitor my audio? Would I have to use the TRS outputs from audio card to get audio? I have been only trying to output via s/pdif.
Please help...I am learning but also getting frustrated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]