FORUMS: list search recent posts

Isn´t this funny?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Armando Ciurana
Isn´t this funny?
on Feb 2, 2012 at 2:25:27 am

Some how I fell the people at apple are trying so hard to make FCPX as good as FCP7 was!

They are adding some "cool" new features as multi cam, xml export, maybe they are going to add in a near future a "source" monitor, and alternate sequences without duplicating the whole project...

Apple: YOU WHERE ALREADY THERE!!! it was a simple thing, build a FCP7 with 64bit architecture and the few good new things on FCPX and that was it!

I think is like trying to make a better wheel inventing a square one, and then improving it rounding the edges.

Best to all!

President
Ciurana Dussauge Films Mexico

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Isn´t this funny?
on Feb 2, 2012 at 3:29:38 am

Actually no. That's exactly what Apple is not trying to do. They are trying to build an entirely new paradigm for editing, and are now trying to put back in the ancillary features they couldn't implement in the first release. If you notice over the course of three revs and nine months development almost nothing has changed on the editing functions themselves. This is not an attempt to get back to FCP7 editing features. I don't think FCPX will ever edit the way FCP7 did.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2012 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:33:23 am

Exactly Tom. What's funny are the people running from Apple and FCP7 and X to some other NLE. They can't see past their noses.

Just think, only 2-3 months ago, many FCP7 users went to NLE's because X didn't have multi-cam editing, XML, and monitor output. By the time they did their research, reconfig the computer, learn the software, etc.... FCP has already passed them up.

FCP X: Type A
[spell check OFF]

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:33:55 am

Yeah and it looks like Avid is going that same rout with there new Avid Studio Application!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avid-studio/id491113378?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 2, 2012 at 11:07:29 am

Though they have an iPad version, Avid Studio is as far as I can tell still a Windows only product. At the price point they're offering it, they could compete seriously with FCP if they put in a few more featured.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2012 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Feb 2, 2012 at 11:21:53 am

Avid studio apart from looking very similar to fcpx also has a magnetic timeline but this different fron fcpx it can be disabled.

Also you can print to tape. Its usefull for low end stuff. maybe they will develop it further to compete for he same market fcpx does.

richard

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 2, 2012 at 2:54:51 pm

[Sean Thomas]Just think, only 2-3 months ago, many FCP7 users went to NLE's because X didn't have multi-cam editing, XML, and monitor output. By the time they did their research, reconfig the computer, learn the software, etc.... FCP has already passed them up.

Where the heck does this attitude originate from? FCPX is not a one-time offer.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Feb 2, 2012 at 5:58:03 pm

Armando, I can tell you I am very happy FCPX is not FCP8.
It is not the 64-bit that makes FCPX feel so quick and simple. It is the whole paradigm and the new tools that make the step up. If you want FCP8 better get Adobe stuff.

Return to posts index

Armando Ciurana
on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:39:01 pm

I apreciate all your answers and honestly I´m going to look further into FCPX in order to understand and eventually love the new paradigm.

Best

Armando Ciurana

President
Ciurana Dussauge Films Mexico

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:18:56 pm

For me, its the fact that learning FCX isn't going to make me any more marketable in LA. Avid users who knew FCS3 were very marketable. If you do your own events editing, then I think FCPX has everything you need. But I can't see any decent paying job asking for FCPX editors in this city. For editors that can choose whichever platform they want (mainly people who shoot and edit their own projects) FCPX looks like a viable choice.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Feb 5, 2012 at 8:47:00 pm

[David Powell] "But I can't see any decent paying job asking for FCPX editors in this city."

Will be interesting to look at that in 12 months.
I understand it is hard to get into an existing workflow right now with X. But in these fast times with delivery getting quicker and quicker FCPX will be invaluable for many.

Just today I got a late gig for a Super Bowl show (non-broadcast). They wanted 3 programs:
- a 26 minute broadcast, but new music and new voice over was recorded. Took me 2,5 hours to re-do the whole sound in 4 channels and output as XDCam422.
- a DVD with several greetings from people around the globe (mix of PAL and NTSC). Since FCPX does conform NTSC in the timeline (cinema tools is built in!) it took merely seconds to mix these format and output in PAL. Needed DVD Studio pro though......
- a looping DVD with sponsor logos and ken burns. Didn´t need AFX or Motion, just used the Ken Bruns effect in FCPX.

S one client, 3 hours of time, 3 deliveries that I would NEVEr had done in FCP7. No way.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 6, 2012 at 2:41:39 pm

Without getting into the relative usefulness of FCPX....

[Thomas Frank] "Yeah and it looks like Avid is going that same rout with there new Avid Studio Application!"

Don't forget, Avid Studio originated as Pinnacle Studio, and is squarely a consumer application. You used to be able to buy it for $99 at Circuit City and K Mart. When Avid bought Pinnacle in 2005, the software was just coming up on version 9 I think. Maybe 10. It had precisely zero to do with professional editing.

There was a pro-oriented implementation of the same features and technology in Pinnacle Liquid, then Avid Liquid....then EOL'd not so long after the software-only Media Composer was released...which didn't pick up any of Liquid's major interfaces or technologies.

So, in review: Pinnacle Studio's interface came long before FCPX. It has nothing to do with mainstream professional editing today, any more than when it was released many years ago. Avid had years to evaluate the usefulness of this approach for professional editing from the inside...and passed on implementing any of it.

Studio on the iPad should be compared to iMovie on the iPad. Both are a lot of fun, and pros will find uses for them, just as pros have always found uses for everything they can get their hands on...but these are in no way designed for even moderately heavy lifting....

Again, without commenting one way or the other on X....

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Feb 6, 2012 at 8:01:22 pm

Alban, when I say jobs is LA, I'm referring to Post houses mostly. I think X is probably a great tool for someone doing everything on their own. I'm going to start a new thread on the topic but the FCS 3 comparisons aren't as relevant to me since the 2 other A's had already implemented new technology and releases while FC users waited for a real update to FCS 2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]