FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is FCPX worth it now with the new update?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Targia
Is FCPX worth it now with the new update?
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:29:11 pm

So now that FCPX finally has multiclip (and an awesome one from what I have seen), as well as some other features like a new chroma keyer and 7toX plugin, is FCPX worth getting now?

================================================
MacPro Octo Core Intel Xenon 2.8Ghz 10GB DDR2 Ram
FCP 7.0.3
-I highly recommend el Gato Turbo264HD-

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Is FCPX worth it now with the new update?
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:36:45 pm

If you find it worth it, then yes. It's up to you. I'd download the trial and spend some quality time with it.

It does take some getting used to. A few hours of poking around isn't enough.

Don't forget there's now video out as well.

This is a major update for sure, but the underlying Event/Project structure still remains as well as the trackless timeline. If you didn't like FCPX before, you might not like it now.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Eyad Hamam
on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:28:31 pm

i read about a "bloated project size" problem

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/21342#21459

any idea if this problem is solved?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 1, 2012 at 5:14:58 pm

FCPX is still a paradigm shift. What's happened with this update is that it's much more functional within the new paradigm. There are now more ways to reach similar ends done with the old paradigm and in some cases done much faster and more easily than the old.

For many the 7toX tool (additional $10) makes it easier to import FCP7 projects to directly compare old and new means to reach the same end. That it keeps backups of project makes it a bit more secure as well.

If you can't immediate free your mind of old ways its all that much more important to watch tutorials first. You really have to think different with FCPX but once you cross that, you may find you can act faster on new thinking than the old thinking.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:19:57 pm

its an old, old harping craig but that timeline is still way too heavy in operation - moving clips around, you feel like they are wearing lead weights, and that springy vertical drift on connected clips drifting up and down as you move them left or right drives me out of my mind. as does the dissolve behaviour on clip delete. if nothing else connected clips should be snapping to go only horizontally until you definitively pull them up.

Also... the way keyframes are exposed in that stack over the clip is crazy - where you have to zoom into - because of the fact that exposing the keyframes is physically tied to the clip on the timeline is nuts. the keyframe editor should not be tied in that fashion I don't personally think. I'm not even going to go at the colour corrector - I half like it now and the power windows are class and superbly reactive - its a dodge and burn dream.

it boils down to the timeline for me. don't get me wrong: apple are busting their ass to get this thing to where they think their pro customers need it to be. the multicam implementation is just about amazing, and its almost shocking that they pulled that together so well and so fast - but the core attributes of the timeline, not even getting into the issues with its conceptual constraints, are a deal breaker - its simply too gloopy and clunky - for me at any rate.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:25:43 am

I'm certainly taking a second look, it's still not quite right for my day-to-day but maybe its going in the right direction.

Ill save my fanboyist screeching triumph till I've had a good play-around ;)

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Feb 2, 2012 at 2:01:48 am

I've edited a variety of short promos in FCP X. And I'm still faster in FCP7 and I can't see how FCP X will ever actually be faster for me. How much time do we have to put into it before deciding that actually it's not worth the effort to learn a "new paradigm" if the new paradigm is actually slower for the type of work you do?

FCP X gets in the way, the interface feels less responsive on the same hardware because it's constantly trying to do realtime previews of things every time I float the mouse around. I use open tracks as a creative brainstorming board, constantly shuffling layers up and down to see different combinations, enabling and disabling clips. FCP X doesn't let me do that.

I'm glad to see Apple is supporting FCP X and adding some pro level features and not leaving it as "iMovie 64 bit" but for me Smoke on Mac is the way to go forward.

-
CoreMelt V2 plugins

Return to posts index

Iain Anderson
on Feb 2, 2012 at 9:20:10 am

I don't have the same issues with responsiveness that you report; it's always been fast and responsive, certainly much better than FCP 7. Though, if you don't like skimming, you can turn it off. Shift-dragging moves clips up and down without moving in time, and V is enable/disable if you want that.

An interesting discovery someone made recently is that FCP X is quicker to render while exporting (as it uses the GPU) than if you let it render in the background (CPU only). If the render always happens when you are truly idle, that's a net win, but if it's getting in your way you might prefer to turn auto-render off.

Return to posts index

Stephen Bakopanos
on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:22:34 pm

I must say, this update does dramatically improve the usability of FCPX for my workflows.

Previously, if I modified files outside of FCPX they'd go offline with no way to relink them short of manually re-adding the files to the event and the timeline - massive pain in the ass... BUT now they seem to stay online, which means I can create and modify clips in After Effects and other such apps! You can also manually relink files, but you have to go out to the project viewer and do it on a project level to all the clips... not ideal (ideally you could do it on a clip bu clip basis), but a step in the right direction.

I'm currently sticking with FCP7 for the most part, but am dipping my toes in the PPro pool and dabbling with FCPX where I can. Both seem to have advantages and disadvantages ATM... It will be interesting to see what Adobe bring to the table with CS6...

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:35:33 am

Iain, FCP X renders faster than 7, but rendering is just a pretty small part of the whole workflow.

FCP X magnetic timeline slows me down, it gets in my way and it clearly is not such a ground breaking pradigm shift that it will be adopted industry wide. It allows people that have never edited before to get running quicker and thats it. I don't see any benefit to it for experienced editors, it doesn't save me any time, actually I spend time rearranging things I didn't want to have jump around because absolutely EVERY freaking thing is connected to something.

Sometimes I just want two clips on separate layers to stay at the same position on the timeline no matter what else I do, since I can't lock tracks thats actually hard to do in FCP X.

Add an option to turn off the magnetic timeline and have a normal open timeline and a src/record viewer and I'd use FCP X. As it is, its just not fast or usable for me. Suggesting I change my editing style is not an option, why should I when I'm faster and more productive with other tools?

-
CoreMelt V2 plugins

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 3, 2012 at 9:17:05 am

[Roger Bolton] "Sometimes I just want two clips on separate layers to stay at the same position on the timeline no matter what else I do, since I can't lock tracks thats actually hard to do in FCP X.

Add an option to turn off the magnetic timeline"

Using the position tool disables ripple. You could also lay a gap clip in the primary and use only a secondary storyline and above to disable the ripple effect and the clip connections.

I do music edits all the time where I need clips to stay in the same position relative to the timeline.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 3, 2012 at 9:32:23 am

[Steve Connor] "
Using the position tool disables ripple."

I know this is often said, but is this exactly true about the Position Tool?

Lift from Storyline, Overwrite to Primary Storyline, and Nudge (either using the comma/full stop keys or the numeric keypad) also "disable ripple" in the same way you are talking about in that all these operations don't result in a rippling behaviour.

The notion that the Position Tool is some kind of unique "magnetic timeline disabling" tool seems to me to be simplistic and possibly unhelpful as an explanation - especially when you are trying to clarify the interface for users who are having difficulty with it.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 3, 2012 at 9:37:48 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "The notion that the Position Tool is some kind of unique "magnetic timeline disabling" tool seems to me to be simplistic and possibly unhelpful as an explanation - especially when you are trying to clarify the interface for users who are having difficulty with it."

It might be simplistic, but it's true, if you edit with the position tool instead of the select tool, it does disable the ripple behaviours.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]