I know, the walls are tumbling down

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
Re: FCPX to ProTools
on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:29:29 pm

I wonder if they'll come out with a FCPX to OMF solution. We export our projects out to OMF from FCP7 so our audio guy can mix them in sonar. I don't believe sonar can read AAF.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,FL.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:03:36 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Roles to tracks via AAF. Sweet."

I haven't used ProTools or FCPX before, but my question is, would going from FCPX to ProTools and back again be similar to 'old' FCP to Soundtrack Pro and back again? As simple as that?

Peter Dunphy

2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4870, ATTO ExpressSAS R380, Sonnet D800 Raid 5

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:25:58 pm

Probably not full round-tripping. Typically once a show is handed of to audio you'll get finished stems (dialog, fx & music) ready to cut back into finished show for delivery etc.

If it's a true AAF that should mean it could go into any AAF friendly app like Nuendo, Avid, Vegas Pro, PPro?

Hey what's with all these pro features and FCPX anyway?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:06:54 pm

>>[Jeremy Garchow] "Roles to tracks via AAF. Sweet."

I know, the walls are tumbling down

Pity Apple built walls around the app in the first place.

So now I can go FCPX>XML>AAF>AutomaticDuck>OMF. Sweet. Hope the media gets consolidated with handles somewhere down the line.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:13:27 pm

I asked in another thread whether the original FCPX>AutomaticDuck>OMF was still working with this update? Anyone able to test that?

I am getting closer to the day when I can tell editors that they can bring me a FCPX project for grade and sound post so long as they do the XML and OMF exports first.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:19:16 pm

I hear it's broke. It never was super reliable for me in the first place.

We will have to wait for new tools.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:27:21 pm

Thanks Jeremy. So still waiting for OMF and AAF. This new software isn't available until the end of February according to their website.

I will be very curious to see how they can assign roles which basically bus like material to individual tracks. A common thing for me in docos is to have layered dialog tracks. If roles just says dialog then how will it split that stem into lots of individual tracks so that clips don't overwrite?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:31:47 pm

[Michael Gissing] "If roles just says dialog then how will it split that stem into lots of individual tracks so that clips don't overwrite?"

Multiple tracks, I would think. A Role does not mean one track, or even a separate container such as a nest.

I think it would arrange the tracks by Role, then by layer in each role, then the next Role and next set of layers just like a track based timeline.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:34:26 pm

Yes I presumed it would have to do a bit of a magnetic timeline thing itself and create extra tracks if two roles overlap or collide in any way. If so then the track arrangement would be random rather like the way many editors treat track assignment now.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:49:18 pm

[Michael Gissing] "If so then the track arrangement would be random rather like the way many editors treat track assignment now."

:)

I think it will be less random.

It will be Assigned Role > the number of tracks it needs to be without any clip overlap on same track (so, say tracks 1-4)

Then Role > the number of tracks it needs to be without any clip overlap on same track (5-12)

etc

The roles will certainly overlap, but that doesn't mean much. It's more about the clips themselves.

It should work just like tracks if you keep everything on separate tracks like a good person should. I would imagine it would make the organization easier as you receive it as the role will have the tracks fairly organized already, but I don't know anything, just making logic guesses.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:56:53 pm

Well only another month to see how they will do it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:01:52 am

[Michael Gissing] "Well only another month to see how they will do it."

I do hope they will add OMF as well.

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Feb 3, 2012 at 9:36:49 am

Automatic Duck is apparently DOA with FCP 10.0.3. It was OK for the few months that it worked. 'Just gotta wait for X2Pro.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:57:56 pm

It just occurred to me that rather than wait for this software, perhaps Xto7 could be used to move the audio into FCP7 which then makes an OMF. If anyone has this software and can test if that works I would appreciate it. All that is needed is audio plus handles. No video.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:01:15 am

[Michael Gissing] "perhaps Xto7 could be used to move the audio into FCP7 which then makes an OMF"

Yeah, that's one of the great benefits of Xto7 is you get all the interchange back.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:40:49 pm

[Michael Gissing] "It just occurred to me that rather than wait for this software, perhaps Xto7 could be used to move the audio into FCP7 which then makes an OMF. If anyone has this software and can test if that works I would appreciate it. All that is needed is audio plus handles."

Hi Michael

Acting on this supposition I tried this route to get my audio out of FCPX. I only got as far as FCP 7 before it all went pear-shaped.

See here for a list of major (and currently fatal) hazards that I encountered:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/7938

Not a route I would recommend at this point in time, though IA are looking into these issues for me.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:49:21 pm

[Steve Connor] "http://www.x2pro.net/

X opens up a bit more!
"

Cool.

Return to posts index