FORUMS: list search recent posts

What?! No Multicam Support?! No output to tape?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob O'Brien
What?! No Multicam Support?! No output to tape?
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:05:53 pm

Larry Jordan mentions that there is no multicam support in FCP-X. If this means that there is no multiclip function, then this is absolute awful as at least a third of my work involves more than one camera.

No output to tape either?!!! Totally okay for me, but Apple has definitely let down the television producers out there with this one.

(Yes, I might buy it anyway for the single camera jobs I do. But I am extremely disappointed that 64-processing will not be coming to my multicam edits).

Bob

Return to posts index

Pat DeFilippo
Re: What?! No Multicam Support?! No output to tape?
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:14:43 pm

There are several other things that Larry mentions, Bob, including no importing from Final Cut 7 or earlier projects as well.

G5 Quad Desktop with 4GB Ram, 750GB HD & eSata ~ 30" Cinema Display & 17" Sony SVGA
~ Swift Data 200 Internal 1.6TB SATA II RAID 0 ~
2.33gz Intel MacBook Pro with 3GB Ram, 500GB HD
AJA Io LA
Final Cut Studio 2 on G5 & 3 on MBP
Sony UVW-1800 Beta-SP
Sony DSR-40 DVCam

P D Post Productions, Inc.
TV~DVD~WEB-Device
for Corporate Communications, Commercials, Infomercials, Television Programs and Family Occasions since 1983
E-mail PD@PDPost.com
Website http://www.PDPost.com
Business/Cell Phone (847) 275-5671

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:19:47 pm

As big or at least somewhat big as Multicam Editing is I would suspect it to be in the next update. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a .5 update 4-6 months from now either.

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:31:45 pm

Yeah, I sure hope so. Multiclip is a HUGE deal-breaker for me.

CAMERAS
Sony EX3, Sony DSR570 DVCAM, DXC637/PVV3 Betacam-SP

PORTABLE EDITING
*MacBook Pro - 2.33Ghz - 2Gb RAM
*Matrox MXO / 23" Cinema Display

DESKTOP
*8-Core Mac Pro, 6 Gb RAM, 2 internal eSata drives, FW800 externals
*AJA IO
*Sony 2800

SOFTWARE
*OSX10.4.11, QT 7.5, FCP 6.0.4, Livetype 2.1.3, Soundtrack Pro 2.0.2, DVDSP4.2.1, Adobe CS3 Prod Suite

Return to posts index

Pat DeFilippo
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:40:20 pm

I'm not sure, but I think the Auditions feature of Final Cut Pro X will replace Multi-clip. Auditions lets you have multiple clips pre-loaded (similar to the old linear days where Grass Valley systems let you save and recall from several marks for different takes, etc.) and I would assume you can sync several camera angles in one clip (like you can in a Multi-Clip), edit with one camera angle, "blade" it, and then "audition" to another camera angle. Read through the new Audition feature - I think this is one of the functions it can do, in addition to let you audition several takes of the same scene, several different color correction "looks", etc. FCPX might actually do multi-clip, but it has a lot of other professional features that it took away to account for.

G5 Quad Desktop with 4GB Ram, 750GB HD & eSata ~ 30" Cinema Display & 17" Sony SVGA
AJA Io LA
Sony UVW-1800 Beta-SP
Sony DSR-40 DVCam

TV~DVD~WEB-Device
for Corporate Communications, Commercials, Infomercials, Television Programs and Family Occasions since 1983
E-mail PD@PDPost.com

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:45:40 pm

You might be right, Pat. I certainly hope so.

I wonder if the new Motion is compatible with FCP7.

Bob

CAMERAS
Sony EX3, Sony DSR570 DVCAM, DXC637/PVV3 Betacam-SP

PORTABLE EDITING
*MacBook Pro - 2.33Ghz - 2Gb RAM
*Matrox MXO / 23" Cinema Display

DESKTOP
*8-Core Mac Pro, 6 Gb RAM, 2 internal eSata drives, FW800 externals
*AJA IO
*Sony 2800

SOFTWARE
*OSX10.4.11, QT 7.5, FCP 6.0.4, Livetype 2.1.3, Soundtrack Pro 2.0.2, DVDSP4.2.1, Adobe CS3 Prod Suite

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:49:12 pm

I was thinking the same thing Pat, if Auditioning works properly (a BIG if) then it could be a better way. Multicam was important but at the same time, flawed.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:45:28 pm

Not even close. What makes FCS7s multiclip practical is the fact that you can see all relevant angles and switch in real time. I was afraid of this...now I have to decide if X is worth purchasing for the one or two projects a year I have that doesn't require it...

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:39:26 pm

Hence the Larry Jordan quote stating that it was not yet ready for professional use.

Return to posts index

Pat DeFilippo
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:13:57 pm

I just got this eMail back from Larry Jordan regarding if Audition can replace Multi-Clip:

"No. Audition does not replace multiclip. the big problem is that you can't blade an audition. It is all a single clip, no cuts."

So, yep, FCPX for this and other major reasons is not for professional use (as of yet). Gary Adcock and Larry Jordan agree on this. I also read somewhere that the upcoming release of Lion and the following FCPX might put FCPX in the professional ballpark, though.

-Pat DeFilippo

AJA Io LA
Sony UVW-1800 Beta-SP
Sony DSR-40 DVCam

TV~DVD~WEB-Device
E-mail PD@PDPost.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:42:07 pm

It's weird, because the underlying code that eneables the magnetic timeline, and the added automatic synchign features of X seems like the natural foundation for a more efficient multicam implementation.

I suspect that customer er, INPUT, shall we say, (to keep it polite) will lead to either a third-party plug-in for this or an Apple update down the road.

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:23:30 pm

no multicam support does seem odd, not just because of the pro need of it, but it seems like they could have done it 10x better than before with the new power they have under the hood now. They have auto audio syncing, so instantly line up tracks through that(if needed), and they have the new any codec/resolution engine that would allow different format sources to be multicammed.

I could see a simple interface for multicam clip building, drag clips to a screen with 9+ numbered boxes, a dropdown dialog at the top would let you choose how the clips sync (timecode, marker, audio), then a generate clip button at the bottom to add your multiclip to your project.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:30:11 pm

Exactly, Nevin, we're in synch on this, but unfortunately we can;t use it to multicam (yet) :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]