FORUMS: list search recent posts

Check out the multicam videos

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Check out the multicam videos
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:40:19 pm

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html

I wish we could arrange audio Roles like that!

Looks a little how I thought the "Zones" could operate that we talked about months ago.

This is looking pretty decent.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Check out the multicam videos
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:22:09 pm

Yep, multicam is looking good. It seems well thought out, and it seems to offer new and improved features that are actually "better" than what came before.

I think Herb will like it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:25:14 pm

Rather than spending almost all the time showing how to set-up the multi-clip I wish the demo had spent more time showing the actual cutting on the timeline, how the clips reacts to being cut internally, ability to use clips out of sync intentionally, ability to assign audio ... I will say the feature set seems to be all I was hoping for, but the devil is in the details.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:24:17 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Rather than spending almost all the time showing how to set-up the multi-clip I wish the demo had spent more time showing the actual cutting on the timeline, how the clips reacts to being cut internally, ability to use clips out of sync intentionally, ability to assign audio ... I will say the feature set seems to be all I was hoping for, but the devil is in the details."

There you are!

I was wondering what you would think. Looks like you can knock anything out of sync if you want to.

Not sure about audio, I haven't played with it yet.

Curious to hear your findings.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:31:05 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Curious to hear your findings."

February is a very busy month for me, I plan on waiting till March to download and give it a real work out. From a features point of view it sounds very promising. I also plan on getting out to NAB this year and see what Adobe has to offer. I need to make a decision by May; let the best ap win.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:29:54 pm

Yep, looks promising. And check out that Angle Editor UI -- it kinda reminds me of something... One can dream ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:34:38 pm

[David Lawrence] "And check out that Angle Editor UI -- it kinda reminds me of something... One can dream "

Yes, multi-cam with a source viewer and tracks. I wonder if you can treat a single clip as a one angle multi-clip?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:44:39 pm

[David Lawrence] "Yep, looks promising. And check out that Angle Editor UI -- it kinda reminds me of something... One can dream ;)"

Certainly!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 1:32:10 am

Just learned that you can put audio in its own angle and tell FCPX to use that angle for audio.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 1, 2012 at 1:54:02 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Just learned that you can put audio in its own angle and tell FCPX to use that angle for audio."

That's nice, but it's not the issue.

When I shoot with multiple cameras I use the tracks of the various cameras as a multi-track audio source. All cameras get a mixed track on ch. 1, but I iso the various talent on each of the Ch.2 tracks on the different cameras, along with iso shotgun effects tracks. While I'm sure it's easy to switch the video of a given clip between the various angles, how easy is it to witch the audio of a given clip between the various angles and between different channels, all while maintaining sync?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:19:45 am

Some multicam tutorials up on the COW now, well worth watching

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:09:34 pm

[Herb Sevush] "When I shoot with multiple cameras I use the tracks of the various cameras as a multi-track audio source. All cameras get a mixed track on ch. 1, but I iso the various talent on each of the Ch.2 tracks on the different cameras, along with iso shotgun effects tracks. While I'm sure it's easy to switch the video of a given clip between the various angles, how easy is it to witch the audio of a given clip between the various angles and between different channels, all while maintaining sync?"

If every camera has the same ch1, then you would simply switch to what audio angle and video angle you'd need.

Isn't that what you do in 7 now?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:18:54 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If every camera has the same ch1, then you would simply switch to what audio angle and video angle you'd need.

Isn't that what you do in 7 now?"

Actually what I need to do is use some of the different Ch.2 iso's to fix problems in the mixed track. With 7 there are a number of ways to do this, using either the audio from one of the angle's of the multi-clip or actually matching back to the original source clip to get the audio.

I'm watching Andy Neil's MultiCam tutorials and I see that the multi-clip functions allow for switching audio between angles fairly easily, so it looks good so far, as long as I can isolate Ch.2 from Ch.1 when I need to, although I've heard this is one of the clunkier aspects of X.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:32:05 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Actually what I need to do is use some of the different Ch.2 iso's to fix problems in the mixed track. With 7 there are a number of ways to do this, using either the audio from one of the angle's of the multi-clip or actually matching back to the original source clip to get the audio.

I'm watching Andy Neil's MultiCam tutorials and I see that the multi-clip functions allow for switching audio between angles fairly easily, so it looks good so far, as long as I can isolate Ch.2 from Ch.1 when I need to, although I've heard this is one of the clunkier aspects of X."

That's what I figured. If you're going through and doing post switch audio work, you'll be fine.

I find choosing audio tracks in FCPX not to be clunky, but this is me you're talking to.

I'm sure you can match back to a clip, add the audio only and choose which audio track, or simply choose which audio track to use in the inspector before you add to the Project.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:41:57 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I find choosing audio tracks in FCPX not to be clunky, but this is me you're talking to.
"

I had been led to believe that switching back and forth between different audio channels from the same source clip was awkward - that is going ch.1 / ch.2 / ch.1 audio from a single continuous clip.

Well, I guess it will have to wait till I try it out and then I'm sure I'll have lots or real questions to post.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:58:47 pm

[Herb Sevush] "I had been led to believe that switching back and forth between different audio channels from the same source clip was awkward - that is going ch.1 / ch.2 / ch.1 audio from a single continuous clip. "

If by switch you mean adjust the audio nodes, FCPX is amazing at this. You can select ranges on the fly and turn the levels up or down. You can have multiple audio tracks in the timeline just like seven and adjust levels between them just like seven. I know I'm a geek about this stuff, and everyone will make their own decisions, but I find X's audio mixing to be pretty nice if you can embrace the tracklessness.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:34:08 pm

Jeremy -

under the heading of 1 pix and a lot of words let me present the following:

The audio is in sync to the video clip. The middle audio section (highlighted) is ch.2, the host's iso track, the left and right audio sections are from ch.1, the mixed track. The reason for the edit was clothing rustle on the talents mic which ruined the mixed track. Is this sort of thing easy to do in X?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Tomas Rugevicius Rugys
on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:42:24 pm

Hi all.

I found no way to access separate audio channels on multiclip on the timeline. There is no way of detaching them in timeline as you usually do with simple clips if you want to work with separate channels.

You can only turn of/on a right or left mono channel on original clips engaged in multiclip.

Or I am missing something, or Apple is.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:48:59 pm

[Tomas Rugevicius Rugys] "I found no way to access separate audio channels on multiclip on the timeline. There is no way of detaching them in timeline as you usually do with simple clips if you want to work with separate channels. You can only turn of/on a right or left mono channel on original clips engaged in multiclip"

Well that's not welcome news, is it. I guess someone will come up with a work around.

That's the problem with using demo's based on music videos - they're actually very easy to cut and don't have the required complexity to test a multi-cam function properly.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:39:43 pm

Herb-

First of all, is that America's Test Kitchen??? Cool.

Second, thanks for the picture.

In your case, I'd lay channel 1 as angle. Then use the rest of the angles as separate mono tracks as needed.

You can then blade where you want, and change the audio angle on that section like you have shown.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 2, 2012 at 2:30:56 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "First of all, is that America's Test Kitchen??? Cool."

Yes its ATK. I hepled develop it 12 years ago and have been Dir/Editor ever since.

[Jeremy Garchow] "In your case, I'd lay channel 1 as angle. Then use the rest of the angles as separate mono tracks as needed. You can then blade where you want, and change the audio angle on that section like you have shown."

For next year I can change the audio assignments so everything I want is always on Ch.1 of the various angles. it would be nice to be able to cut back and forth between Ch.1 and Ch.2, but it's not a deal breaker as long as I can specify how the material is shot.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]