FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Prelude

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Bailey
Adobe Prelude
on Jan 28, 2012 at 5:33:10 pm

I've just seen this: http://bit.ly/zDf52c

Not much info at the moment, but Prelude is supposedly a new tool for logging, annotating, transcoding and exporting. Although the interface on one image looks strangely similar to FCPX!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Adobe Prelude
on Jan 28, 2012 at 6:22:33 pm

[Ian Bailey] " Although the interface on one image looks strangely similar to FCPX!"

Check out eyesight ;-) Not everything with a dark UI looks like FCP X. In fact, Apple is rather late to the game with this UI design. Adobe's UI design has looked like this for years.

In any case, I would expect a rather strong NAB showing for Adobe this year. Clearly their update of the Production Premium bundle (whatever shape that takes) is going to be the logical replacement for the various elements of Final Cut Studio. That's not to take away from FCP X; but if you find it lacking, then Adobe is seeking to capitalize on the difference.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 28, 2012 at 6:27:27 pm

Interesting that the Prelude import interface, skimming, and selection marking looks very much like iMovie.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2012 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 28, 2012 at 7:07:46 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Interesting that the Prelude import interface, skimming, and selection marking looks very much like iMovie.
"

Someone mentioned "hover scrub"!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 28, 2012 at 7:08:13 pm

As an aside... Adobe Sundance filmmaking panel:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-sundance-/how-technology-is-influencing-...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Jan 28, 2012 at 8:06:12 pm

[Oliver Peters] "As an aside... Adobe Sundance filmmaking panel:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-sundance-/how-technology-is-influencing-....."

Ah ha! Nice distraction technique (unless you're browsing on an iOS device), but that won't stop me speculating about Preludes similarity to FCPX despite a complete lack of information!

Seriously though, if this is a metadata centered app that includes logging and annotating tools, then maybe Adobe and Apple are seeing the same puck.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jan 28, 2012 at 8:16:19 pm

It doesn't look like iMovie at all. Why? Because there's a timeline with thumbnails. Are you serious? It looks pretty much like all Adobe apps have looked in the past years, totally consistent with their CS UI.
Frankly, given the current climate they'd have to be suicidal to make their apps look like iMovie or FCPX.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 28, 2012 at 8:24:24 pm

Distraction? LOL! As far as metadata, Adobe has been on that bandwagon long before Apple. If anything Prelude looks like a mash-up between OnLocation and Bridge. In fact, maybe OnLocation is gone. We'll see at NAB.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 28, 2012 at 9:14:34 pm

I'm with you on that, Oliver. OnLocation never quite seemed to gain the legs it needed to bridge the gap (no pun intended) between Bridge and the off-line logger/project organizer it hoped to be. But Adobe has a way of listening to its users, dropping things that don't work, and adding things that do.

For my money, I'd much rather see Bridge incorporate the best features of OnLocation, then the reverse. I've used Bridge for years to manage (and organize using Metadata) broadcast media and graphics numbering in the tens of thousands. It works like a charm. Now all it needs is the ability to log, mark in and out points, and a few other features and fixes (some of the motion media handling in Bridge can be buggy, expecially in CS5), and it will be close to perfect.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jan 28, 2012 at 9:45:23 pm

I do wonder what the Adobe galaxy will look like. The Lightroom 4 announcement heralds: "Extended video support for organizing, viewing, and making adjustments and edits to video clips."

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/?promoid=JOTFB

So I do wonder about having Prelude, Bridge, OnLocation, Lightroom all with slightly different but largely overlapping functionality ...

Franz.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 28, 2012 at 9:48:20 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] " OnLocation never quite seemed to gain the legs it needed to bridge the gap"

As I recall, OL started out life as DVRack, which was acquired by Adobe. Originally it was simply a virtual VTR to record and monitor FW-based video signals on a laptop. So from that base, Adobe has been evolving it as the recording portion of an ecosystem to fit between Story on one end and Flash at the other. Their whole plan is to use Dublin Core metadata (open source) throughout the whole process with the hope that other companies will make tools that also tap into this, since it's not proprietary to Adobe. Of course, facing the same tape versus file-based acquisition as everyone else, OL has out of necessity had to change.

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I'd much rather see Bridge incorporate the best features of OnLocation, then the reverse. I've used Bridge for years to manage (and organize using Metadata) broadcast media and graphics numbering in the tens of thousands."

I think what you are seeing is Adobe build a system that seamlessly works with all images (stills and motion) using similar tools. For example, Lightroom 4 Beta handles videos in ways that earlier versions couldn't.

I suspect this is just the first of what will likely be some interesting surprises at NAB.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 28, 2012 at 10:16:40 pm

[Tom Wolsky] " Interesting that the Prelude import interface, skimming, and selection marking looks very much like iMovie."
Considering that iMovie we know today started out as First Cut, an ingesting / logging app, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some similarities.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:17:05 am

You know this is not Pro right? Only one screen, no broadcast output, no multi cam, no EDL...
First Cut - iMovie
Prelude - Premiere X ;)

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:40:55 am

[Thomas Frank] "You know this is not Pro right? Only one screen, no broadcast output, no multi cam, no EDL...
First Cut - iMovie
Prelude - Premiere X ;)"

I am sure the winky is scarcasm.. but in case not. Prelude is not an editor. It's a logger and viewer and more. I would say it's a producers tool not and editor's.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2012 at 7:04:43 am

Let's hope it incorporates XMP better than Bridge.

Maybe it will tap into some files native metadata and be able to edit that so the meaningful data travels with the footage and not in a proprietary sidecar file.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jan 29, 2012 at 11:35:20 am

Key points here:

- consistent Adobe UI - yes mimicking FCP X wouldn't be a smart marketing move to most types here...
- I don't have a lot of hair left, so please don't make me pull the rest out by asserting that Apple was thinking about metadata before us. We had a full metadata panel in all apps except AE since CS4.
- you can't wiggle bits out of me though as usual, I would love to tell all and share all. ;-)

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:00:28 pm

Maybe Adobé had the metadata panel, but it didn't do anything with it. Al Mooney made it clear that this was a significant gap in the Adobe workflow. Prelude's a good start, but it needs a good deal of work to make metatagging efficient, flexible, and easy. Right now it's based on Premiere's capabilities and doesn't seem to expand beyond markers and subclipping and offers nothing like tags or collections or whatever you want to call it.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2012 at 2:40:30 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Maybe Adobé had the metadata panel, but it didn't do anything with it. Al Mooney made it clear that this was a significant gap in the Adobe workflow. "

That may be what he said, but it isn't true. Metadata currently flows from Story to OnLocation to Premiere Pro and I think, Flash and Bridge, as well. I realize it might not have been implemented very well, nor is it completely finished, but my gut feeling is that these approaches are rather Utopian. Concepts of all-encompassing metadata almost never pan out except in closed-loop environments.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:23:05 pm

"Concepts of all-encompassing metadata almost never pan out except in closed-loop environments."

Isn't that exactly what the production suite wants to be?

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:28:40 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Isn't that exactly what the production suite wants to be?"

Absolutely.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:38:46 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Isn't that exactly what the production suite wants to be?"

The trouble with software suites is whether or not they offer "best of breed" products. They rarely do for every product in the suite. In Adobe's case, Production Premium sold because of After Effects and Photoshop. In Final Cut Studio, Soundtrack Pro and Motion never gained widespread use. In the end, the better the tools "play with others", the better they are for the users.

I think that means that for Prelude to gain traction outside of the Adobe suite, its metadata and rough-cutting info will have to be able to be migrated into FCP X, FCP 7 and Media Composer, as well as Premiere Pro. Maybe also to CatDV and some newsroom tools.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
@Tom
on Jan 29, 2012 at 5:52:04 pm

I don't know whether you're being a revisionist in favor of Apple, or you just haven't used Bridge or any of the CS products much, but I, for one, was using, and very successfully, Adobe's metadata within Bridge quite a few years ago in my job as Art Director at a broadcast station, to manage hundreds of thousands of graphics files, from QT movies and AVIs, to Targa, Tiff, JPEG, and other still formats. Sure, there were some limitations and some wrinkles, but I submitted issues to Adobe, and their products have improved based on user requests, something Apple, from what I've seen, hasn't done yet.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:09:55 pm

Want you mean CS4 before Apple? Apple and many other had meta data running before that in iTunes! ;)

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:43:33 pm

According to Mooney, Prelude will send to Premiere using FCP7 XML. Not sure why it doesn't use the same project type as Premiere so it can simply be opened by Premiere.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:47:39 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Not sure why it doesn't use the same project type as Premiere so it can simply be opened by Premiere."

Probably doesn't matter, since a cuts-only rough cut only needs a glorified EDL, if that. This could also be some foreshadowing related to CS6. Or maybe a single format allows easy export for a variety of apps, for instance, such as DaVinci Resolve or maybe their own Speedgrade.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]