FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconsidering Postproduction

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Bailey
Reconsidering Postproduction
on Jan 28, 2012 at 3:38:16 pm

Hi All,

There have been some fantastic posts on this forum detailing how facilities plan to move forward in the light of FCPX. Trying several software alternatives and even exploring what Windows has to offer. But what if you’re not that person? What if you’re unable to make such large investments? What if, like me, you’re just one guy or gal considering your options and wondering if you could achieve the same for less?

I felt the release of FCPX last year presented me with an opportunity to reconsider my whole approach to postproduction and media creation. Up until then I’d been using Final Cut Studio, After Effects, Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

This is the criteria I used to shape my decision-making:

* I want to spend less on software, but still achieve high quality results
* I can take some risks as post work isn’t my main source of income
* I want to stick with OS X
* I prefer FCPX over the alternatives
* I occasionally need to master to tape
* I’m happy to spend time learning new software
* I don’t want to buy a software suite when I only use a few of the applications

So, I’ve searched my soul, thought the unthinkable, contemplated the infinite and this is where I’m at currently:

* Video / audio editing and colour correction: FCPX
* Sound recording and music: Garageband (including sound library from Soundtrack Pro)
* Motion graphics and visual effects: Motion, Blender
* Video graphics, web graphics and textures: GIMP
* Conversion: Compressor, Streamclip, Miro
* DVD and Blu-Ray burning: Toast
* Mastering to tape: Media Express (Blackmagic card)
* Web design and development: Aptana Studio, Joomla
* Preproduction: Celtx

Obviously what suits me might not suit anyone else! The very thought of open source software will send some of you running for the hills. The workflow is not as efficient as Final Cut Studio.

No doubt this list will change over the long term. It depends on the direction Apple, Adobe and other software companies take.

Ian

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Reconsidering Postproduction
on Jan 28, 2012 at 3:50:37 pm

[Ian Bailey] "* Mastering to tape: Media Express (Blackmagic card)"

Obviously you can still use FCP7 for this as well

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jan 28, 2012 at 4:18:52 pm

I am afraid I don't really understand the point of your posting. If you have used Photoshop before I assume you have a licence so why switch to Gimp now?
Gimp's allright, but if Photoshop is sitting on the same drive waiting to be fired up Gimp wouldn't be my first choice. Won't save you a penny either. Same for After Effects, Dreamweaver etc. If you have used them in the past you may as well use them now and in the future since you have already paid for them.
Some of your sw choices have severe limitations (dvd, blu-ray) but if it suits your needs that's just great.
If your decision to switch to something else is not budget driven... fine, but that's not the point you were trying to make.

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Jan 28, 2012 at 5:13:11 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "I am afraid I don't really understand the point of your posting. If you have used Photoshop before I assume you have a licence so why switch to Gimp now?"

My Adobe software is in need of up-dating, so I'm considering the alternatives. Still a big fan of both Photoshop and After Effects.

I should clarify:
I've made a personal decision to reconsider all the software I use and where I want to be in light of the FCPX release. Others on this forum have done the same and opted for Premiere and Avid, I though it might be useful to show a different point of view.

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Jan 28, 2012 at 7:52:19 pm

My previous explanation was a bit rubbish, so I'll put it another way:

Plenty of people are still confused by the demise of Final Cut Studio and as part of my job I'm often asked what I would recommend as a replacement. Unless their requirements are very specific, I refuse to make recommendations and instead point them to the various trial versions available. I am however happy to talk about the decisions I've made (as I've done in my initial post) and people either find it useful or think I've lost the plot. Either response is valid!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:51:07 am

Dude, what ever floats your boat. This setup wouldn't float mine, but if this floats yours and gets you down the river, paddle on.

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Jan 28, 2012 at 9:59:08 pm

try pixelmator for photoshop style work

try wordpress for websites its very good

try some other web packages like sugarcrm if you are running a business

just what I have seen to have useful interface that goes far enough in many cases

Return to posts index

Vincent Lowe
on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:09:23 am

...this was very helpful, thank you.

I'm finding that the ideal of a single unified toolset is really not in the cards. There always seem to be bits and pieces of a production that require tools not in a single suite -- so I appreciate your thoughts about the toolset you find useful.

---v

Vincent Lowe - Schoolhouse Earth
vincentlowe@schoolhouseearth.org
http://twitter.com/agentv

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:45:45 am

[Ben Scott] "try pixelmator for photoshop style work

try wordpress for websites its very good

try some other web packages like sugarcrm if you are running a business"

Heard lots of good things about Pixelmator and glad to see there's a trial version. I'll give it a whirl: http://www.pixelmator.com/try/

I'm a huge fan of Wordpress and I've set-up WP sites for other people. But it is still very blog orientated, whereas Joomla is more like a website and has a better fit with e-commerce.

Thanks for your sugarcrm recommendation, I'll take a look.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:38:39 pm

Also look at Freeway Pro or Freeway Express if your needs are limited.

Pro
http://www.softpress.com/products/freeway-pro.html
Express
http://www.softpress.com/products/freeway-express.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]