Jeremy Garchow
Re: OT: concepts in new UI design
on Jan 28, 2012 at 3:19:28 pm

Very cool.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 28, 2012 at 6:32:13 pm

Feels like software designers have sensibly embraced the robust development in graphics technology (transparency now being such a trivial call compared to years ago) and "modal operations" which seem to be the big enablers of the HUD to try to improve function.

High rez graphics with transparency is nothing but good for everyone (tho the 1984 mac interface photo sent me back down memory lane and made me smile.)

Model, however, is the big change for the future. Lots of software programs use it and it's clearly a growing trend. The button says this now, but if you're doing something else, it presents a different choice.

That's a solid win for efficiency when it's implemented well.

I just hope that as with font menus - where it's pretty easy for a non-pro to end up with drop down menu with 100+ choices - the designers don't go crazy with the new tools and push users toward situations where they're dealing with dozens transparent modal menus floating everywhere.

Still, as that same 1984 Mac interface proved, you give the public a hundred fonts, and somebody WILL use them all in one document.

Progress marches on!

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:12:45 am

This is how I launch applications on the Mac (via Spotlight) and Windows (via search). Tap Alt-Space or the Win key, then start typing the name of the app I'm looking for.

It strikes me as middle ground between the menu system and full hotkey system. You can get there a bit faster than through the menus if you don't know where you're going, but it doesn't seem to be as fast as fully dedicated hotkeys.

Maxon has a vaguely related UI idea in Cinema 4D, where a couple sets of secondary hotkeys are stacked behind a primary hotkey. For example, tapping the N key will bring up a little popup window with a list of view-related hotkeys. After tapping N, the A key will toggle Gouraud shading, the B key will toggle Gouraud shading with lines, the C key will toggle quick shading, etc. Secondary hotkeys are functionally grouped, so the N hotkey set is dedicated to view functions, the U hotkey set is related to selection and common selection-based modeling functions, etc.

Gmail uses functionally-grouped two-key combos, too: the G key will Go, and the * key will select; G I goes to the Inbox, G D goes to Drafts, G S goes to Starred, etc., and * A will select all, * N will select None, etc. It's just missing the very helpful reminder popup window showing your options after that first keystroke.

This is a great system for binding a lot of functions to the keyboard that allows the user to get the benefits of keyboard acceleration without learning every single hotkey and allows the user to operate the system without requiring them to play a game of finger Twister on the modifier keys. I'd love to see more apps adopt a system like this.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 2, 2012 at 7:44:18 pm

I just realized that I've also been using search instead of menus for years in the After Effects Effects & Presets panel. It's helpful both when you know exactly what you want (searching for "box b" returns Box Blur as its only result) and when you only have a general idea (searching for "blur" reveals a variety of blur effects).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]