FORUMS: list search recent posts

the right camcorders for final cut pro X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
filippo de capitani
the right camcorders for final cut pro X
on Jan 21, 2012 at 3:40:04 pm

Hi all, is anyone who could advice me on which camcorder to buy that i can use easy on final cut pro x. My budget is 1500/1600£ or 2500$.
I am very confuse with the list http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/cameras/en/index.html?

thank you

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: the right camcorders for final cut pro X
on Jan 21, 2012 at 8:04:24 pm

That list is far from complete or even current given how quickly new cameras come out.

You'd need to prioritize your features. Also, given the support for camera manufacturers develop plugin codec support, things can change.

If ease of import is critical than AVCHD and H.264 .mov based cameras work well.
Given that, most camera manufacturers provide means to wrap files to .mov. For example, I use XDCAM EX and although Sony promises plugin support, I use Sony's software to wrap to .mov just as I did with FCP7. I suspect those who are using Canon XF series are also finding a way.

If you're looking for shallow depth of field for instance, Canon DSLRs work well but so may others. Sony's FS100 isn't on the list but I'd suspect that would work well (although about double your budget). The Sony VG10 is on the list but the VG20 isn't but that should work just as well. There are some warnings about not supporting 1080p60 from certain cameras that shoot in that mode.

Basically look for the camera features you want and see how easy it would be to wrap to .mov if not on the supported list but be aware that many cameras not listed work fine and camera manufacturers may be developing plugins for those that aren't "natively" supported.

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Jan 23, 2012 at 6:20:03 pm

One of the nicest cameras on that list is the JVC GY-HM100U, which is the older model of the new model called a JVC GY-HM150U

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/821133-REG/JVC_GY_HM150U_GY_HM150U_Pr...

I've used the 100, which you can still buy on sale for less than $2500 for the past year, and found it reliable, and likable from an Apple perspective. The even nicknamed it the FCP Camera in one thread I read. The new model is a little over your budget, but might be affordable.

This camera is used by CNN (250 copies), and others in the broadcast news/documentary segment. I use it for corporate videos, stuff like that. At the price it's hard to beat.

You can see tons of footage at youtube.com/dbkcreative. The first 5-6 videos were produced with it.

Good Luck

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:53:43 pm

A bit over budget, and I haven't used one personally, but....

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-nxcam/product-NEXFS10...

That being said, I'm not sure I'll ever buy another 3-chip camera. Large, single sensor camera's rock the house for low light.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:31:46 pm

[Marvin Holdman] " I'm not sure I'll ever buy another 3-chip camera. Large, single sensor camera's rock the house for low light."

3 chip cameras have value in ENG, run and gun and sports where shallow depth of field can be a problem. Hand held (when easy to use form factor is important) and shoulder mount situations. Even some of those situations can be handled with a single sensor camera and proper lens and settings selection. The niche for 3 chip cameras is narrowing but it's not gone.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jan 24, 2012 at 4:00:17 pm

True enough regarding depth of field, however you can always iris up and get a wider DOP. That being said, 3-chip is still functional for ENG, but I made the assumption he was more of an EFP kind of person. Good point though.

Still, for low light large single chips seem more versatile. Just an opinion.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Jan 24, 2012 at 1:21:53 am

Marvin,

A little over budget? It's more than twice his budget!

That's funny.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 24, 2012 at 1:53:15 am

If someone is thinking in that direction he might get a Canon D60 or 7D DSLOR and buy an external recorder. He may have some money left over to get some inexpensive lenses.

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Jan 24, 2012 at 2:05:09 am

Shooting and using a video camera is completely different from shooting video with a Canon DSLR.

The look isn't the same, and the operation is no where near as easy and convenient for primary Video Applications.

I've owned and used a 5D, and a 5D mark II, as well as a D90 and D7000. Try and pull a smooth zoom with a DSLR. Then try and keep it in focus, then try to auto adjust the IRIS - or Aperture.

The new Canon super camera might be a solid solution, but it's also $16K without glass. You'll need L glass to do the sensor justice. So with battery and accessories, you'll have little change from $25K.

Our OP, has a budget of about $2.5K

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 24, 2012 at 2:15:36 am

[Darren Kelly] "Our OP, has a budget of about $2.5K"

And a DSLR is possible in that budget.
It really depends on what he wants to do. It's an option and one that professionals do use.

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Jan 24, 2012 at 2:41:50 am

Craig,

The DSLR's you are proposing are not in his budget. Let's take a look.
Prices from B&H

Canon 7D: $1,345.00 - 60D is about $1,000.00
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens: $707.00
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Autofocus Lens: $1,049.00
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens: $1,226.00
Audio recorder:Zoom H1 On-Camera DSLR Audio Kit: $180.00

No calculator, but I just easily spent about $4500, and I don't have a mount for the camera, a focus puller. This is just a basic lens kit - don't suggest he start with a 50mm f1.8 - it doesn't have the range. It's a basic digital audio recorder - once again, don't suggest the onboard recording. It sucks.

You need to spend a considerable amount more for a DSLR package that can compete with a simple $2500 JVC, Panasonic or Sony camcorder.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 24, 2012 at 3:05:33 am

Canon 60D with stock lens $1189
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732048-REG/Canon_4460B004_EOS_60D_DSL...
Zoom H1 $180 as you note
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731488-REG/Zoom_H1_H1_On_Camera_DSLR_...

$1369
About $1100 to get whatever else he wants. There's no reason for him to spend beyond his budget when starting out. There are much less expensive lenses than what you're mentioning. Many people go used when starting out for those.

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Jan 24, 2012 at 3:10:35 am

As usual, in an attempt to win your point, you propose a wildly inaccurate answer.

The standard lens with that package does not cover the range that any of the camcorders in his price range covers.

It doesn't cover it from frame capture rates, audio quality, zoom range, camera control & mounting. He would be frustrated so quickly, and then be even further behind than he was when he started.

Craig, you really have the most bent version of reality of anyone on these forums.

Return to posts index

filippo de capitani
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:23:35 am

Hi and thanks so much for the advice. I went for the JVC GM 150, deliver today, hope i did the right thing, even if in low light possibly is not the best... anyhow thank you all

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]