FORUMS: list search recent posts

is FCPX dying a death on the appstore?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
is FCPX dying a death on the appstore?
on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:11:41 am

Gordon Modin:

Getting back on track with Final Cut users switching software I think it more telling if you look at the Appstore and view the rankings of Final Cut, Motion, and Compressor with a side glance at iMovie. Currently iMovie sits at #8 moving down from #7 in the last week. FCX is at #21 having been #19 a little while ago. Since iMovie sells for $14.99 and FCX at $299, it would take roughly 20 times more people purchasing iMovie to equal FCX.

That said we now look at Motion and Compressor. Motion is currently at #49, but used to be #37. Compressor used to be #56 before dipping to #80. You would think Motion and Compressor would be considered part of an editing package and be purchased in equal numbers right along with FCX. Such is not the case even though both are priced at $49.99.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: is FCPX dying a death on the appstore?
on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:23:03 am

My question would be what is the ranking criteria of the App Store? Is it an all-time ranking or just this month? Or for current versions as with ratings? Do we know?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:37:01 am

Well it's not like a tin of Baked Beans, something you need to buy each week.

I would have thought most people who were interested in buying FCPX etc would have done so already.

And I wouldn't see it as a recreational purchase.

Life's too short for that.

I'd be interested to know what the conversion rate was for the try before you buy option.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:17:49 pm

It would be interesting to track the drop in ranking with the timing of the release of the trial version. Has this been a gradual or a more sudden drop, for instance?

My guess, though, is that there was an initial rush, which has now died down to a more normal pace.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:54:14 pm

Where are the numbers coming from? If you go to the App Store iMovie is 12th and FCP X is 16th.

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:18:23 pm

Keep in mind there's Top Grossing and Top Paid. While it's not detailed, Top Paid seems to be "units sold." Top Grossing is probably just that, raw dollars.

In US Apple Store, FCPX hovers between 2 and 3 in Top Grossing, occasionally passed by Pages. Lion is always first.

In Top Paid FCPX is 16 today ahead of Angry Birds which is 17 and behind GarageBand which is 15.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:29:39 pm

...and when the sales number gets to a low enough metric, Apple will release some new version number and bump sales.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:48:51 pm

[Richard Herd] "...and when the sales number gets to a low enough metric, Apple will release some new version number and bump sales."

Why, when they can simply modify the metrics on the App Store to reflect whatever image they're currently trying to project to the public?

We have absolutely no idea what those numbers mean now, or how they're quantified. There's no explanation posted anywhere that explains their numbers, how often they're updated, or what period of time they reflect.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:39:00 pm

True. I was assuming some rigor in their sales report, but none is required of course. Much like book sales, NYT best seller list.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:48:35 pm

This sort of analysis doesn't really mean anything n the absence of some standard to judge it against. So iMovie moves more units. OK, it's 1/20 of the price; that's not unexpected. The App Store stats don't let you determine how many more units (save that it can't be more than 20x as many, because FCP X grosses more than iMovie). Even if you could find this ratio it wouldn't mean anything without some baseline to compare it to, e.g. how much iMovie previously outsold FCP 7.

If your point is simply that FCP X sales aren't as high as when it was initially introduced, that doesn't mean very much either. Most people who were going to upgrade probably did so early on. I imagine most software sees "bursty" sales surrounding new releases.

If we're engaging in App Store kremlinology, though, two things lead me to believe FCP X is actually doing rather well. First, it's outselling Aperture despite being 3.75x as the price and despite photography probably being a more common activity than video editing. Second, it's consistently the first or second highest grossing app (not counting Lion, which isn't really an 'app'), often outselling Pages, which is kind of impressive. It's 15x the price, but a word processor is so much more of a mass-market product that it's surprising to see a $300 video editing app selling even 1/15 as many units as a $20 word processor.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jan 20, 2012 at 9:36:04 pm

Chris Kenny - "It's 15x the price, but a word processor is so much more of a mass-market product that it's surprising to see a $300 video editing app selling even 1/15 as many units as a $20 word processor."

Since the majority of market share for word processing is PC based ergo MS Word, it really doesn't surprise me that FCPX surpasses Pages. Price is not as much of a factor as penetration. I don't think Pages has as much "mass-market" as one might imagine. That being said, I like it better, but still have MS Word to so-exist with the bigger world.

That comparison is not really relevant.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jan 21, 2012 at 1:34:50 am

[Marvin Holdman] "That comparison is not really relevant."

Pages is reliably first or second bestselling (actual) app by unit volume in the Mac App Store. The only way comparisons to Pages could be irrelevant to determining an app's success would be if the whole Mac App Store were a failure.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 24, 2012 at 3:44:52 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Gordon Modin:

Getting back on track with Final Cut users switching software I think it more telling if you look at the Appstore and view the rankings of Final Cut, Motion, and Compressor with a side glance at iMovie. Currently iMovie sits at #8 moving down from #7 in the last week. FCX is at #21 having been #19 a little while ago. Since iMovie sells for $14.99 and FCX at $299, it would take roughly 20 times more people purchasing iMovie to equal FCX.

That said we now look at Motion and Compressor. Motion is currently at #49, but used to be #37. Compressor used to be #56 before dipping to #80. You would think Motion and Compressor would be considered part of an editing package and be purchased in equal numbers right along with FCX. Such is not the case even though both are priced at $49.99.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics"

So what this just tells me that other Apps are also being bought.
And maybe not every Soccer Mom is using it as the other two A's are saying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]