FORUMS: list search recent posts

GE to introduce Apple desktops

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
GE to introduce Apple desktops
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:31:22 am

There's an article over on Macrumours about GE, led by the introduction of iPads and iPhones into the corporate business, is starting to offer Mac computers alongside PC's.

I wonder what bearing, if any this will have on peoples perception that Apple don't care about Mac OS and thus desktops, anymore.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
Re: GE to introduce Apple desktops
on Jan 19, 2012 at 12:07:59 pm

They care about the MacOS as long as this transitional period goes on. And Lion is a step in the direction of the unification of both MacOS and iOS. Of course, it cannot just happen overnight, hence the transition we're experiencing. This perception is clear to everyone who's paying attention to what's being told by Apple.

"Apple is a mobile devices company. This is what we do." S.J.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jan 19, 2012 at 12:14:47 pm

[Christian Schumacher] ""Apple is a mobile devices company. This is what we do." S.J.
"

I wonder if that emphasis has changed now Tim Cooks in charge. I think I'm right in saying that Android devices out sell iPhones in the US.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Jan 19, 2012 at 12:26:28 pm

[Michael Sanders] "I wonder if that emphasis has changed now Tim Cooks in charge"

Mr. Cook is in charge for a long time now, many years before Mr. Jobs passed away last year.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:01:47 pm

[Christian Schumacher]Mr. Cook is in charge for a long time now, many years before Mr. Jobs passed away last year.

Technically, but I think the jury is still out on how Apple will move forward from here, now that Steve Jobs has passed

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:07:31 pm

[Gary Huff] "Technically, but I think the jury is still out on how Apple will move forward from here, now that Steve Jobs has passed"

Very true

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:13:12 pm

[Gary Huff] "Technically, but I think the jury is still out on how Apple will move forward from here, now that Steve Jobs has passed"

Technically speaking, a big company lays out its strategies much further in time. Who is in charge doesn't matter in this regard, as the company's CEOs will have to comply with the Board's goal. Even Steve Job's ideas and leadership couldn't have gone anywhere if they didn't resonate that. Job's compliance with the App Store only confirms it. And so does Cook's excellence in overall management. Apple's strategies are explicitly aimed at mobile computing and the CEO's task is to work it all out and also convey the message to the public, as Mr. Jobs did, and so will Mr. Cook. Both work differently, but towards the same goal. That's the truth, unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:28:12 pm

[Christian Schumacher] "Mr. Cook is in charge for a long time now, many years before Mr. Jobs passed away last year."

Maybe on a day to day business level but from everything I've read, even until very close to his death Steve Jobs was still actively involved in the vision and direction of the business.

And lets remember he wasn't always right. As I understand it he was actively against the App store and it took lots of lobbying from board members to bring him round to it.

Take a moment to think where would the iPhone be without the App Store.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:27:28 pm

I don't think this changes anything with Apple because they are going to keep doing what they want to do. Did Apple target or woo the business sector? Not really, Apple made products they wanted to make, people really liked them and a 'bottom up' movement started getting Apple into the hands and offices of corporations. Instead of IT saying "this is what you get" employees have said in strong enough numbers "this is what we want to use so figure out a way to support it".

I think the differences between OS X and iOS will continue to shrink, desktop machines will drift more and more into the specialize niche roll (possible getting 're-envisioned' altogether) and mobile devices will keep moving towards being the daily driver computing device. 10yrs ago we had 'big iron' workstations, desktops, and laptops. Today desktops are the new big iron, laptops are the new desktops and mobile devices are the new laptops.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]