FORUMS: list search recent posts

Eastman Kodak Files for Bankruptcy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Eastman Kodak Files for Bankruptcy
on Jan 19, 2012 at 7:56:26 am

News today that Kodak are filing for bankruptcy.

'Kodak has filed for bankruptcy in a bid to survive a liquidity crisis after years of falling sales related to the decline of its namesake film business as digital cameras have taken over the market.'

The first 8mm films I made with my mothers wind up movie camera were Kodak, in fact the camera was a Kodak, as was my first stills camera.

So a time to reflect on the digital revolution and how it has affected companies like Kodak as I take a break from editing.

Hard times

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Eastman Kodak Files for Bankruptcy
on Jan 19, 2012 at 8:42:44 am

Sad but inevitable news.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
Re: Eastman Kodak Files for Bankruptcy
on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:34:02 am

Yeah Kodak seems like a key player in my life since photography was the basis for my entire career in video and film. It's hard to watch an old friend smashed against the rocks like that but the entire media industry has changed enormously over the last 10 years and we all knew it would happen. When I bought my first digital camera almost 10 years ago I never thought I would never shoot another frame of film. I wonder how much longer film will be available for purchase?

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Film Fading to Black , Re: Eastman Kodak Files for Bankruptcy
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:05:59 pm

Somewhat related, Debra Kaufman wrote an article for Creative COW Magazine a while back, observing that ARRI, Panavision and Aaton haven't manufactured a single film camera since 2009.

There are obviously plenty still for rent, and plenty of movies and TV series are still being shot on film...but when there aren't any more new film cameras, the horizon is still the horizon, but now it's in view. Somebody is holding the last film camera that may ever be made by these guys....

Film Fading to Black

ARRI, Panavision and Aaton have all quietly ceased production of their film cameras to focus exclusively on the design and manufacture of digital cameras. Film? Fade to black.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Film Fading to Black , Re: Eastman Kodak Files for Bankruptcy
on Jan 20, 2012 at 9:00:08 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Film? Fade to black."

Much to our loss. I'm amazed I don't hear other people complaining but I now refuse to go to any movie theater that uses Digital Projection - I'd rather see it at home. The lack of color quality is astounding, it's like looking at someone lit by fluorescent lights - positively ghoulish. I know it's not an option because of costs, but I'll take the scratches, grain and projector weave of film projection anytime.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jan 20, 2012 at 9:26:12 pm

A big two thumbs up from me for that statement! Reminds me how much I miss my cherished grindhouse round the corner.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 21, 2012 at 10:48:05 pm

Hate to disagree Herb but many multiplex film cinemas in my country look awful. Digital projection has actually improved many of them. I still like direct film projection but there is no reason why digital projection should be washed out if done properly.

I heard an anecdote from a director friend who was lunching with Dean Semler (Oscar winning Aussie DOP) who went to watch Master & Commander which was shot by his fellow Aussie DOP Russell Boyd. He bought the ticket only to discover it was a digital projection. He asked to change it for a later screening on film in the same multiplex. The ticket attendant said he would buy Dean a ticket to the later film projection if he didn't like the digital. Dean watched the digital projection and was so impressed he then bought the ticket to the later film projection and thought the digital was superior.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 22, 2012 at 2:58:20 am

[Michael Gissing] "many multiplex film cinemas in my country look awful. Digital projection has actually improved many of them."

I've been to dozens of different theaters in the New York City area and digital projection in all of them is horrendous. I believe it if you say digital projection "can" be good, but I have never seen it.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 22, 2012 at 4:42:42 pm

[Herb Sevush] " I believe it if you say digital projection "can" be good, but I have never seen it."

If I can't see a film digitally, I don't go. I find the bouncing around intolerable, scratches distracting, the changes between reels jarring. I wouldn't tolerate a tenth of that in my tv, and see no reason why I would pay money for such dramatically poorer presentation, especially when I'm not allowed to be in my pajamas.

I suspect that the combination of professional projectionists and fresher prints in New York probably helps that. I could probably even wear pajamas in a movie theater there.

The fact is that there are ways in which we're in the early days of digital projection. Star Wars (Fake) Episode II: Attack of the Yawns, was in 2002. At that point, digital shooting and projection was almost entirely a science project. Although the big push didn't start until Avatar, the "real" roll-out didn't get underway until 18 months ago. It wasn't until last spring that the head of the National Association of Theater Owners announced that there will be no more film prints delivered to theaters by the end of 2013.

Statistical trends point to January 2012 as the point at which digital screens become the majority. The transition is happening more quickly than it can be managed...but it will be. NATO is all-in on this, and I guarantee that they're not going to let this be one of the things that contributes to their demise.

The article wasn't about distribution, though. It's about filmmaking. We didn't try to pin down a date, but to me, the tipping period (rather than tipping POINT) was as RED and Alexa began pushing the previous limits of the light that a "film" picture could capture. Not just range either, but actual warmth. DPs can do new things, and old things better.

There are still legitimate reasons to consider film, but even the two current movies with the most loving nostalgia for film's past were shot digitally (The Artist on RED...at RED Studios, actually... and Hugo on Alexa) for exactly the reasons I mention.

I'm hopeful that the intensity with which film-loving directors and DPs are embracing the new possibilities of digital filmmaking will translate to their advocacy for better projection. In the meantime, I'm voting with my pajamas.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 22, 2012 at 7:07:12 pm

[Tim Wilson] "If I can't see a film digitally, I don't go. I find the bouncing around intolerable, scratches distracting, the changes between reels jarring. I wouldn't tolerate a tenth of that in my tv, and see no reason why I would pay money for such dramatically poorer presentation, especially when I'm not allowed to be in my pajamas. "

Apparently we're both voting with out pajamas.

Since I grew up with film projection none of the artifacts bother me, as long as the projection booth is handling things properly. I also don't think the issue is movies that are shot digitally, I just saw "The Artist" projected on film ( I think) and it looked great. My problem is strictly with the horrid color saturation and contrast in every digitally projected film I've seen. I understand the commercial pressure to do away with film prints, it's just that if your trying to lure people out of their houses it helps to show them a picture better than the one they can see in their living room. Until then, the PJs win.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 22, 2012 at 7:27:46 pm

[Herb Sevush] "My problem is strictly with the horrid color saturation and contrast in every digitally projected film I've seen. I understand the commercial pressure to do away with film prints, it's just that if your trying to lure people out of their houses it helps to show them a picture better than the one they can see in their living room."

Herb it's time you make the move to Los Angeles. We have many truly excellent movie theaters (the Arclight chain for example) that take pride in how they project both film and digital prints. Angelenos demand to see films as they were intended, and it's a real blessing to know you're in good hands.

However, I did go to an academy screening of the most recent Planet of the Apes movie, shown at a private screening room on Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank. The digital protection at that joint was, in my opinion, lower than VHS quality. So, I can certainly understand why you don't like digital projection when it's bad.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]