FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPx in local TV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
FCPx in local TV
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:32:06 pm

Hi,

Do people think that FCPx would work well in a small TV setup (i.e. 2 edit stations). This would be for cutting fast turn around news and magazine programs. Is it possible to turn round stories fast? What are the possible problems/shortcomings.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.funkytwig.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: FCPx in local TV
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:35:23 pm

What format is the footage coming in?

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:42:16 pm

We are talking a new station so a format that works with FCPx would be chosen. I was quite surprised when I heard FCPx was being considered hence the question here.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:56:19 pm

If you're shooting AVCHD, it'll be very fast. I think it's a very good news cutter. There are a few here who seem to be doing similar work with it. If you're shooting XDCAM it's hurry up and wait for Sony to deliver direct support. The next FCPX update (should be soon) should get it over some the hurdles it still faces. It's keyword/metadata based media organizing could be great for news although it still needs some more control over access/media availability.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:58:28 pm

Are you saying with AVCHD everything is not transcoded into ProRes. Apples's ProRes fetish is my main issue. If I understand correctly the ProRess ingesting has to be finished before the final project is output.

--

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 8:18:19 pm

I've ingested AVCHD and haven't bothered to transcode. You don't have to transcode to ProRes. Not even in the background . . . assuming a reasonably fast system.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:11:42 pm

"I've ingested AVCHD and haven't bothered to transcode. You don't have to transcode to ProRes. Not even in the background . . . assuming a reasonably fast system."

OK, I thought FCPx did this automatically.

--

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:35:23 pm

You can enable or disable a background transcode to ProRes.
One of the things that impresses me is how well it handles AVCHD on a reasonably fast system.
It'll also handle DSLR H.264 files as well without transcoding.

I do wish it could handle XDCAM EX without a rewrap to .mov. Sony is working on that.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:50:08 pm

[Craig Seeman] "You can enable or disable a background transcode to ProRes.
One of the things that impresses me is how well it handles AVCHD on a reasonably fast system.
It'll also handle DSLR H.264 files as well without transcoding.
"

In my experience AVCHD gets rewrapped to mov, FCPX doesn't use anything natively unless it's already a .mov.

It's just a rewrap, not a transcode. AVCHD files end up being h264 .mov.

You can still edit right away as footage is being rewrapped, though which bodes well for those 20 minutes edits that have been talked about here.

I don't know how you would have done this with FCP7 as the transcode to ProRes is a time killer.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:04:28 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "In my experience AVCHD gets rewrapped to mov, FCPX doesn't use anything natively unless it's already a .mov."

True. If I look in Original Media, the files that came from AVCHD show as .mov.
But the files that were imported as H.264 .mp4 still show as .mp4 (these are recordings from live streams that I sometimes have to work with).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:22:34 pm

[Craig Seeman] "But the files that were imported as H.264 .mp4 still show as .mp4 (these are recordings from live streams that I sometimes have to work with)."

Very true. You could also change .mp4 to .mov and they'd still work.

I guess its hard to define AVCHD as theres a couple of iterations.

The one I have is af100 footage which is in its own MTS structure.

That needs a rewrap in my experience.

I really really hope FCPX allows non rewrapped media in a future update, and also allows the simple hires/lores transcode feature. Best of all worlds, that would be.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:59:23 pm

People have used the term reasonably fast system a few times. Is 2x2 3Ghz considered reasonably fast in this context?

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:43:52 am

Yeah make sure you have approved OpenCL graphics cards. I'm using ATI 5770 I picked up at Frys in a 2.1 MacPro (old) and it runs great. Card seems to be doing most of the work while editing.

Also re-wrapping XDCAM stuff to .mov goes pretty fast using the Sony software as a stand-alone app. I did a bunch of XDCAM 422 and it went very fast and runs great inside FCPX.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:39:21 pm

So Craig, what you are saying is the FCPX DOES transcode avchd to prores, it just does it quickly in the background. That's a different answer to the the one you gave, which said it doesn't have to transcode.

It does.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:14:45 pm

[Darren Kelly] "So Craig, what you are saying is the FCPX DOES transcode avchd to prores, it just does it quickly in the background. That's a different answer to the the one you gave, which said it doesn't have to transcode."

You can have it transcode or not. It's a preference setting. It works just fine if you don't transcode though assuming a reasonably powered system.

In fact if you want to talk about iOS AV Foundation innovations, consider that your iPhone or IPad with iMovie is editing H.264 (no transcode) on those devices.

Personally I haven't yet found the need to transcode. AVCHD, H.264 .mp4, H.264 .mov all work in FCPX just fine. No transcode.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:20:48 pm

[Darren Kelly] "So Craig, what you are saying is the FCPX DOES transcode avchd to prores, it just does it quickly in the background. "

You have a choice.

You can rewrap to "avc1" (h264) .mov.

You can transcode to ProRes, or Proxy which takes longer than the rewrap.

All of that happens in the background. you can edit while transcoding, for example.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:29:22 pm

Although I'll add that I'm finding the H.264 .mp4 isn't even being rewrapped. MTS is though.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:36:53 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Although I'll add that I'm finding the H.264 .mp4 isn't even being rewrapped. MTS is though."

mp4 is basically h264 mov. You cannot play mts in Quicktime, for example, but you can with mp4.

Would you call mp4 AVCHD? I guess I wouldn't, but what the hell do I know.

I would say the mp4 is AVCHD encoded, but it's not AVCHD. I think AVCHD needs the transport stream wrapper.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:44:22 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "mp4 is basically h264 mov."

Different metadata but close. Actually .mp4 is the same as .m4v. You can just change the extension. You shouldn't do that though between .mp4 and .mov. Quicktime can handle both though.

I guess to be precise AVCHD would be AVC/H.264 in an MPEG-2 Transport Stream. AVC itself can have any number of extensions.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:50:54 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I guess to be precise AVCHD would be AVC/H.264 in an MPEG-2 Transport Stream. AVC itself can have any number of extensions."

Yes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:10:35 pm

Grass Valley Edius is an established, FAST and reliable system for news editing. That's what it was built for. I'm sure Avid makes a similar editing application for news.

When the video comes in the door at 4:38 and needs to be on the air at 5:02, you don't want to fool around with something that may or may not work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:03:41 pm

Potentially I think FCPX would be ideal for a small TV set up.

If it's running on a fast Mac with fast drives (thunderbolt?) it could cut short news pieces like a hot knife through butter. They are normally very straightforward and with pre-designed graphic components it could work well.

And again it is ideal for short straightforward magazine type programmes.

Where it really starts to slow down is during complex compositing, using numbers of compound clips.

When all is going well it is a joy to work with but I'm not sure it's quite ready for such deadline dependant workflow.

I also would not underestimate the amount of time it takes to get to know this programme. I'm 6 months in with it and still finding out new workflows, workarounds and shortcuts.

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:33:23 pm

It could be fast yes. But there is a lot more to creating a news piece than just cutting. Accumulating footage, shared storage, cooperating with others, what will be used for playback? File. Tape, Live to air from timeline? Doable, but not sure FCPX can do all thats needed yet.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:54:56 pm

Speed is far less important than functionality - I worked for fourteen years at a broadcast station whose main assets were, and still are, on tape. BetaSP, 3/4 inch, one inch, and DVCPro 25, not to mention some 16mm film archives make FCPX a decided non-contender in any station that still has its News and Commercial production assets on the cheapest format around - tape. Although accessing the file would be much easier if it were digitized, the massive amounts of redundant storage required would cost hunreds of thousands of dollars. A tape and a shelf to put it on is what does the trick right now, and considerably far into the future.

However for startups that have no archive to deal with, it could be a contender, if you can make it work with an inspect monitor for on-air checks, and the list of the many other detriments which have been bandied about endlessly on this forum.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:53:37 pm

[Victor Perez] "It could be fast yes. But there is a lot more to creating a news piece than just cutting. Accumulating footage, shared storage, cooperating with others, what will be used for playback? File. Tape, Live to air from timeline? Doable, but not sure FCPX can do all thats needed yet."

Accumulating footage: check
Shared Storage: Check
Cooperating with others: Check
Playback: Not here
Live to air from timeline: Possible with are our Frankenstein setup (have to love the engineers) but not being used yet

Problems: the daily's editors are to fast and aspected to have a faster turn around.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:47:05 pm

Works here... only thing that slows down the process are the Journalist.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:57:51 pm

Thomas,

Any chance of a chat, my contact details ate at http://www.funkytwig.com/contact-us (not sure if we are allowed to post email addresses.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:11:51 pm

Sure what do you want to chat about?

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:16:31 pm

If you are saying you have FCPx working in a small (commercial) station broadcasting to cable/satellite or terrestrial I would love to talk to you about how you did it/what problems you have etc. Probably best to take this off forum as the thread is getting quite big.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:18:23 pm

[Ben Edwards] "If you are saying you have FCPx working in a small (commercial) station broadcasting to cable/satellite or terrestrial I would love to talk to you about how you did it/what problems you have etc. Probably best to take this off forum as the thread is getting quite big.
"

Actually it's exactly the sort of thing that we like to hear on this forum. Thread size isn't an issue on here!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:34:57 pm

I think we all can share, no?

Well all our footage come in solid state or gets captured to ProRes and moved on to a RAID where everybody has access to.
The footage then gets edited also receives its voice over (depends on the project). If needed we have created lower 3rds in Motion which can be access in FCPX. Kinda cool.
After the edits are done they are send out as ProRes LT and then played out over the routing system or gets sends out.
Thanks for the latest version all the clips can me exporter to Stems if need to in your pipeline.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:40:30 pm

What's the station, website would be great.

Sharings great:)

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:33:06 pm

There are a couple of elements that actually make FCPX a worthwhile choice for editing news.

The primary storyline paradigm is well suited to cutting news quickly (using it as a voiceover track). The database structure can make broll hunting quite a bit easier. But the key advantage is how graphics packages can be integrated through Motion and easily attached to stories in FCPX.

Obviously, FCPX doesn't currently have video output for either monitoring or edit to tape so once it's in FCPX it has to stay digital. Presumably that isn't an issue for your news operation.

The biggest disadvantage would be it's instability since it's a fairly new program. It's not a big disadvantage since I've had lots of experience working in a news environment with new and unstable technologies, but it's something to be aware of.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:59:46 pm

No one in Local News has time to keyword clips and database before they edit. Most broadcast editors edit visually.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:32:03 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "No one in Local News has time to keyword clips and database before they edit."

Maybe not while editing a news story, but you could organize an event of stock footage with keyword collections to easily browse and find video broll for news stories. FCPX's database structure could make that extremely useful.

Also, there was a post somewhere on the forum here talking about how FCPX keyword collections were being used for sports IN GAME for quickly organizing plays and players for finding and cutting teases and promos.

There seems to be this persistent thought that creating and maintaining keyword collections is hard, or requires a lot of typing. Neither is true. If you have time to drag and drop, you can organize with keyword collections.

Andy

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:46:12 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is deliverables. What are your playback system requirements? If it is some form or mpeg, then you might have problems getting it out of FCPX, especially if it is somewhat proprietary. That being said, you will probably end up with some flavor of encoding software, if that is the case. As mentioned before, the single task of "cutting a news piece" can be easily accomplished via FCPX. The question you need to ask is, will it work in the big picture for your longterm goals (data management, scalability and legacy compatibility).

The choices are many, but the consensus I glean from this forum is that FCPX has promise, but is not quite there. Do you want to gamble your future on an unknown? Some will say that FCS had a slow start, but that was a different time, and a much different company.

Good luck.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:56:10 pm

The deliverable will be onto Freeview (DVB-T) which I believe is MPEG-4. I believe the idea is to used dedicated transcoding hardware. As this is a startup, and if FCPx is the chosen option, the other components will be built around this.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:20:05 pm

You know who would be a good person to ask about this? Bob Zelin, a gent who has built broadcast production facilities from the ground up. You'll find him on the COW's Broadcast Video forum.

How many people in this thread actually work in broadcasting? And in news, to boot? And have to cut on deadlines so tight it'd make you head spin? I wasn't joking about that "through the door at 4:38, on the air at 5:02" remark I made earlier.

Can I see some hands?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:08:44 pm

here.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:12:02 pm

Hi Ben,

Is this for one of the new Local TV channels in the UK?

What people are asking is what are you going to play it out from? i.e what format is your transmission suite working in?

FCP X can delivery Quicktime mov files which can go directly to some servers but if you want to play out to tape etc that's a different ball game.

FCP X in this environment could work well as its very cheap and runs on cheapish computers (iMac's etc).

For US cousins: The Local TV channels in the UK are the brain chilld of our culture secretary James Hunt, have extremely small (even by UK standards) of coverage and viewers and thus very low budgets and running costs.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:48:44 pm

[Andy Neil] "If you have time to drag and drop, you can organize with keyword collections."

I think a lot of people miss this bit of info. Dropping a clip on a keyword collection tags it. Once you have the collection, it's about as easy as dragging to a bin. Often, if you're marking in and outs for any purpose it can be as little as a keystroke to tag that.

My own hunch is that Apple is going to be extending the management side of this further on the server/san side of things. Just a hunch but it just "screams" for that sort of capability given the metadata capabilities. Good large library management would be a great feature.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:10:28 pm

It's a very good point that keywording is a simple as drag and drop. The hard part is a keywording system which get created, then consistently used, by the multiple users in a broadcast facility. You've got Photogs cutting packs, you've got producers cutting packs, you've got anyone who happens to be on staff covering the weekend cutting packs and stories - unless one person comes up with the system to use, it will become a nightmare in a matter of days.

Case in point - the database used to log news stories for playback had keywords in it. In their skewed, knee-jerk logic (or lack thereof), the News producers called the first instance of the story "Hanover Robbery". As soon as a suspect in the robbery was nabbed, the story, and clips were called "John Doe Suspect", with no reference at all the "Hanover Robbery".

While it's all a nice thought, remember that this is a News department, used to running around like chickens with their heads cut of, and, as soon as a story airs, flushing their brains, so they have no thought in mind except what the next story is going to be. And don't even talk about having an archivist (which is exactly what is needed to develop a good, usable keywords system). They use interns for producers half the time. The only big budget is for the News Director, Assistant News Director, and Chief Photog. Anyone else can make more at McDonalds.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:22:06 pm

Ain't that the truth, Joe....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:58:48 pm

I was the chief editor for the Fox affiliate in San Diego from 2000-2007. In that time I oversaw the use and integration of both Avid and FCP edit bays, 7 years of news and stock footage archives for a facility that was one of the first news operations in the country who operated with a tapeless to air workflow. I think I know a little bit about the issue asked by the OP.

I say this so you know my suggestions regarding the FCPX database are not suggestions in ignorance. I know EXACTLY how a news operation works and I still believe, FCPX can be a valuable asset in that workflow (depending on whether it can overcome the issues I stated above).

[Joseph W. Bourke] "News producers called the first instance of the story "Hanover Robbery". As soon as a suspect in the robbery was nabbed, the story, and clips were called "John Doe Suspect","

That happens everywhere, but it also has very little to do with what I was talking about. The news stories themselves (written, not video) as well as connection to their respective airchecks were archived in our iNews system. We also had an independent search engine that could parse the iNews database an return stories to users which would give date and aircheck info based on simple boolean keyword searches.

What I was talking about was the creation of a stock footage library which is very necessary in the cutting of news. Generic footage of city buildings, police, money, locations, etc. in which many news stories rely upon. That kind of database, controlled and maintained by the edit staff themselves can be easily created, and organized. I did that myself with the help of my staff of 9 editors. We came up with a system and stuck to it (more or less). It wasn't all that difficult.

And having a sports system with collections containing plays and players over the course of a season is not only doable, but an excellent way to quickly access shots for a daily broadcast.

You talk about how difficult a proposition it is to do something like this when you have Photogs and producers cutting packages, but the problems you mention are the exact same issue you have with tape based archives, except for one thing. If someone forgets to put a clip into a keyword collection in FCPX, you can still find that clip in the event, or events, or search with metadata automatically created upon injest. What do you do when a reporter or producer decides to hide a tape on their desk?

Andy

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:18:30 pm

Andy,

Thanks a lot for that. Archiving is defiantly a bit issue and the workflow/technologies needs to cater for this, and I guess in some ways the size of the station is not relevant. I guess being ably to quickly find cutaways is the key thing here.

Lots to think about,
Ben

--

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:27:46 pm

My main concern for you is enterprise level DAM for your facility. I'm making assumptions here, but since FCPX is the editor they're looking at, I suspect that this will likely be a fairly tapeless facility shooting on either cards or discs which means long-term archive will likely be some kind of server based system. Our station was switching over from tape to this when I left.

FCPX might be able to handle a simple stock footage library using collections for day to day editing, but keeping track of years worth of stories and airchecks will require separate management software. The question is, will the two databases ever be able to talk to each other, or will it be able to read metadata tagged by FCPX? Or vice-versa even?

It may not be entirely necessary to merge those workflows since you can use a DAM to find and access footage which can then be simply added to an event for editing, but it's something to consider long-term as FCPX matures.

andy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:20:01 pm

I suppose it comes down to this:

Is this station willing to be a Guinea Pig, suffering through all the inevitable problems and delays caused by a new piece of software and a method of working that's as of yet unproven for their needs? Are they willing to be on the bleeding edge just to say they've done it?

Or are they more interested in getting something that works RIGHT NOW, no speculation or theorizing necessary, has been proven to work under more demanding circumstances than theirs, and is so stable that it's virtually bulletproof?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:00:35 pm

[Dave LaRonde] " Are they willing to be on the bleeding edge just to say they've done it? Or are they more interested in getting something that works RIGHT NOW, no speculation or theorizing necessary"

I suspect that since this station is a start-up and small, that price point is a major consideration. Installing a "bullet-proof" solution costs a great deal more than being the guinea pig.

But I wouldn't say that FCPX is "unproven for their needs," because who's to say it is? Perhaps they looked at FCPX and said that it's exactly what they need, and so they are building out from there.

Yes it's a new NLE, but it works well for new NLE, and it has a lot of features that mesh well with news storytelling. Whether or not you can build a decent pipeline around it...well, I guess the OP will find out.

Andy

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:08:20 pm

Andy,

"I suspect that since this station is a start-up and small, that price point is a major consideration. Installing a "bullet-proof" solution costs a great deal more than being the guinea pig.

But I wouldn't say that FCPX is "unproven for their needs," because who's to say it is? Perhaps they looked at FCPX and said that it's exactly what they need, and so they are building out from there.

Yes it's a new NLE, but it works well for new NLE, and it has a lot of features that mesh well with news storytelling. Whether or not you can build a decent pipeline around it...well, I guess the OP will find out."

Yes cost is a mayor consideration and booklet proof is probably beyond our price point, I think maybe something like Edious may be a safer option. If others have got FCPx working in a smeller environment that's cool but if not I think letting someone else be the first would be the way to go (regardless of if it saves us a few hundred bucks).

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:13:55 pm

[Ben Edwards] "I think maybe something like Edious may be a safer option. If others have got FCPx working in a smeller environment that's cool but if not I think letting someone else be the first would be the way to go"

It's certainly an option, although I don't know if you've ever cut on Edius before. Personally, I'm not a fan. Though I completely understand not wanting to be the first out of the gate either.

Andy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:22:29 pm

You could be right, but then you're also aware that TV stations take satellite feeds, uplink, do newscasts, do live shots, download & deliver spots to & from digital delivery services, run syndicated programming, make spots, make promos, make programs, and run subchannels.

With all that going on, the far larger issues of how video & audio is received, originated, modified, archived, converted and processed -- and who needs access to do their jobs -- come into play first before the issue of NLE selection is even addressed.

Sure, FCP X may be just the ticket. I say that assuming that FCP X ought to do the trick without knowing what the total system needs to do is putting the cart before the horse... way, way out before the horse.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:01:24 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You could be right, but then you're also aware that TV stations take satellite feeds, uplink, do newscasts, do live shots, download & deliver spots to & from digital delivery services, run syndicated programming, make spots, make promos, make programs, and run subchannels. "

Are your saying you can't make spots, programs and promos with FCPX?
The rest you mention can be done with FCP7 and Premiere?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:32:03 pm

[Thomas Frank] "Are your saying you can't make spots, programs and promos with FCPX?"

Oh, for cryin' out loud, NO! Get a grip, willya?

Let me make this perfectly clear: With all the activities that a broadcast TV station is expected to do, there is a far different different system for originating, acquiring, distributing, and manipulating pictures and sound than any edit boutique encounters.

It is a custom-built system, using hardware & software vendors you've NEVER encountered. Ever work with Leitch? Grass Valley? Snell & Wilcox? Harris? Chyron? Ever work with a system integrator who plans the physical plant to get the various pieces of gear from various vendors to work together, and recommends the software to get the job done?

Any NLE chosen needs to work within that system.

FCPX may work just fine. If it doesn't -- if you chose FCPX just 'cause it's new and oh-so-cool, but you really need an NLE with the ability to capture live video & audio off a routing switcher and use it with clips off the news department server to cut a topical promo that airs in 15 minutes, for example -- you've just hosed yourself.

[Thomas Frank] "The rest you mention can be done with FCP7 and Premiere?"

Maybe yes, maybe no. There are far more factors that go into the selection of editing software for a broadcast operation than you've apparently considered.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:42:49 pm

I am just asking on what you have wrote...

There are many things that you mention that can be done and not be done with the three big A's.
But all can send out feed right?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:51:03 pm

[Thomas Frank] "But all can send out feed right?"

Please explain what you mean by "send out feed".

To me, that sounds like a satellite uplink or a live shot from a remote van.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:24:33 pm

You can send out a file from all NLE that can be played out or a signal out. Which if they deliver what they promise with FCPX.

I can imagine the next FCPX update will show the near future for FCPX.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:49:39 pm

[Thomas Frank] "You can send out a file from all NLE that can be played out or a signal out."

That's nice. Now get this:

There are broadcast editing applications available that allow you to edit a news story, and while you're STILL EDITING THE END OF STORY, play it back over the air during a newscast. Now, that's cutting it close -- quite literally! Some stations rely on that capability several times a day.

Can you do THAT in any of the editing applications you mentioned? Do you see what I mean NOW how the choice of an editing application depends on the total system?

This entire "Oh, the next version of FCPX will be so much better!" attitude is meaningless to a station that is used to having deadlines as tight as in the example I mention above.

Are you in love with FCPX? Fine. But I tell you what: don't expect your FCPX experience to be an automatic ticket into editing in a large-market TV newsroom. It could be, but I SINCERELY doubt it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:56:57 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "There are broadcast editing applications available that allow you to edit a news story, and while you're STILL EDITING THE END OF STORY, play it back over the air during a newscast. Now, that's cutting it close -- quite literally! Some stations rely on that capability several times a day."

Which application is that Dave? We used Avid for the majority of our editing at my station and we used an Avid transfer tool to send the file from the edit bay to the playout server. In our case, the file could be 25 percent transferred when it would be available for playback (something we did more often than I would like). We were also able to literally playback from the edit bay with a call from the director over the PL.

But I've never heard of a program where you could be working on the end of a pkg, and playing the beginning.

Andy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:02:03 pm

Which Avid?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:25:57 pm

We ran with Avid Newscutters.

Andy

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:12:17 pm

I'me guessing Grass Valley Edious;).

--

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:23:01 pm

It might be an Edius. I doubt the Edius systems we'll start using in a few days will be able to do so. We're in market 80-something, so we don't get all the bells & whistles. But it's going to be a giant step forward for us! All digital... all HD.... HD news set... new graphics package.

I always heard stories that some top-of-the-line broadcast news editing application was capable of live playback while continuing to edit. This was a few years ago when such things were a relatively new phenomenon, and only network O & O's had the cash to get them.

Furthermore, we're talking a news story here: typically cuts-only, no supers, no color correction, and limited audio channels: sound bites, reporter V/O and Natsound. That's about it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:00:56 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Can you do THAT in any of the editing applications you mentioned?"

With third party plugins. MXF4mac supports growing MXF OP1a files.

http://home.mxf4mac.com/growing-file-support-mxf-import-qt-mxf4mac.html

As fas as I know, you can't do it with FCPX today.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:01:32 pm

"Or are they more interested in getting something that works RIGHT NOW, no speculation or theorizing necessary, has been proven to work under more demanding circumstances than theirs, and is so stable that it's virtually bulletproof?"

I go for this option. Grass Valley Edious certainly seems like its worth looking at.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:23:46 pm

No disrespect meant, Andy - I'm talking from experience as well - fourteen years at an ABC affiliate which could never get out of its' own way in terms of organizing footage - stock or otherwise. The way they found all the years of stuff on tape? The chief photo had been there for 15 or more years, and could put his hands on any shot in the morgue. The tapes were somewhat categorized on the shelves, at least by year, then a label on the tape and a log inside, so there was always a good chance of finding what you needed.

What's required of a keyword system is someone who manages, polices, and teaches that system, to the multiple users in the facility, who have neither the time, or often the desire, to learn anything new. Maybe Fox does things right - we had a system in place which would do exactly what you're talking about - given the time spent to create keywords, then teach the "producers" fresh out of school why they should care whether you could ever find a shot again. We didn't have "editors", per se - that was a secondary job for the producers, photogs, and whoever else happened to be sitting around between newscasts. I'm glad the system worked for you - but it never can without a staff which is paid enough to care whether it does. Maybe in the major markets - we were in the Boston ADI - but that didn't help. And we were a non-union shop, which meant that there could have been plenty of cross-training to teach the fine points of the AP automation system. The employees were too busy surfing the web, congratulating each other that a package made it to air, or reading the paper, to be bothered to improve their craft.

But bear in mind that in the world where the everything had be able to be digitized for several years, there were still tape ops on every news cast. The News department was deathly afraid of changing anything which showed a semblance of working.

I've been out of the broadcast industry for just over two years, and even in the years I was in broadcast, I used a keyword system to successfully track hundreds of thousands of graphics on our servers. I even created and policed the folder structure on our servers, but it was an uphill battle against those who always wanted the "Teds stuff", "My Stuff", and other inane nomenclature. On many shifts you had to know the folder structure of the graphic artist who was off to find the elements you needed. I'm saying there's a perfect world, and there's reality.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:25:47 pm

Craig Seeman - "I think a lot of people miss this bit of info. Dropping a clip on a keyword collection tags it."

Not to be contentious, but I think many of those people you think "miss" simply require more data that the system, as it exist, will allow. Attaching an "interview" or "broll" moniker to a clip is handy, but a far cry from the amount of information needed to create a practical database of searchable footage. That being said, I agree that Apple realizes the need when they state partnerships with companies like Square Box. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they have deemed it necessary to pitch their history in exchange for their vision.

One of the very important aspects of starting a data system such as this is being able to anticipate the future needs of such data. Kinda hard to plan for this when the company you deal with refuses to give provide any sort of a roadmap for doing so. Perhaps, in time they will, and those who are just starting up will benefit greatly, but... in the meantime it would seem Apple has put themselves in the position that experience should be penalized. Guess that's one way of "leveling the playing field" to create a broader market. Totally legal in business. Ethically questionable, but who really thinks that "business ethics" hasn't become an oxymoron, in this day and age?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:15:16 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "Not to be contentious, but I think many of those people you think "miss" simply require more data that the system, as it exist, will allow. Attaching an "interview" or "broll" moniker to a clip is handy, but a far cry from the amount of information needed to create a practical database of searchable footage."

I agree. I would never keyword like that. It's very easy to create keywords specific to people, events, locations. FCPX is especially good at using multiple keywords for a single clip as well. What's missing is better facility level management features and I would think (hope) that that's on the way.

[Marvin Holdman] "One of the very important aspects of starting a data system such as this is being able to anticipate the future needs of such data. Kinda hard to plan for this when the company you deal with refuses to give provide any sort of a roadmap for doing so."

One would hope that they would at least say, we're developing server level management for all that metadata. I don't know if revealing that would give competitors and advantage, knowing that was in the works.

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:05:16 pm

agreed, I could really use a system like that

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:43:25 pm

If we are talking UK, then Ofcom are specifying quality assessment for DVB-T as defined by the ITU for digital broadcasting (e.g., the 5 point assessment scale and various technical things). So to do fast turnaround you really need to have scopes/PPM/full quality monitoring in the edit. Is FCPX sorted for those things yet?

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jan 19, 2012 at 1:31:17 pm

Andrew , you dont NEED these things anymore, everyone can edit and send to telly on their ipads and it all magically happens for you !

Stop being stuck in the past with your old ways of doing stuff, join the revolution

/sarcasm

Return to posts index

Matt Tureck
on Jan 19, 2012 at 5:33:42 pm

Are we the only ones in news that still have to deliver in split channel? We need to keep reporter track on ch.1 and mix everything else onto ch. 2.
How have people here managed that in a timely fashion using X? I know I can go into the inspector and pan everything accordingly, but that takes time.
Thanks

Matthew Tureck
Editor
The CBS Evening News

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 19, 2012 at 5:43:46 pm

No. We would archive in split channel, but mix out to air. For VOs and SOTs we could send those files mixed because anchor VO was mixed in downstream. However, for pkgs with recorded reporter track, we'd send one mixed version and one archive version in split channel.

In FCPX, you'd be able to accomplish that using the Roles feature. There's no need to pan tracks. I just created a tutorial which shows how that works here:

FCP X INs and OUTs: Roles

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]