FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Nattress FCPX Color plugin + FCPX PDF Book & Light transition offer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
New Nattress FCPX Color plugin + FCPX PDF Book & Light transition offer
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:47:21 pm

Every day it seems new stuff is being released for FCPX.

At $29 this might be worth a spin.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/698-on-screen-levels-control-for-fcpx-...

Also on FCPX is a republish of FCPX graphic manual which has been reformatted, combined, republished and come with a free plugin.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/697-digital-heaven-republish-the-fcpx-...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: New Nattress FCPX Color plugin + FCPX PDF Book & Light transition offer
on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:39:04 pm

The Nattress plugin is an optional part of the Noise Industries upgrade to version 3 and is available for lots of platforms including FCS2 & 3 plus X and Motion, AE etc. I have been using Nattress gamma curves for years without the new graphical interface. This iteration also includes more control of specific curves of RGB. They are really nice but..

Since getting Colorista2 for FCS3 and using Color for most work, I no longer need these curves but for FCPX I can see they fill a void.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:23:21 am

It is more apparent everyday, fcpx is preparing to be a touch interface. I don't know what that means or if it's good or bad, whatever, haters gonna hate.

Obviously, it can't be a full touch interface quite yet so it's not, but the overlay idea starts to make more "sense".

Today, I really like the looks of these for working inside fcpx when bouncing to Color for endless reviews is impractical. Kudos to Graeme Nattress.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:17:36 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "the overlay idea starts to make more "sense""

See here for another example of the overlay idea for color grading:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/6963#6978

And yes, it's great to see Graeme Nattress getting started with FCPX effects - he is a seriously talented guy when it comes to image processing. His Color plug-ins in particular were stellar.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:07:45 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "See here for another example of the overlay idea for color grading:"

Hi Simon - great work

And whilst I don't want to grumble I've tried it out and the only problem is that it is not possible to remove the overlays from the clip once the effect is applied.

There is a box for turning off colour wheels and legends but that still leaves the control handles and positioning icon on the screen.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

It would be great to be able to extend the rotation handles as one can do with the shape mask handles.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:19:48 pm

[Mark Dobson] "And whilst I don't want to grumble I've tried it out and the only problem is that it is not possible to remove the overlays from the clip once the effect is applied."

Hi Mark

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry, yes that was a foolish late night error - it is now fixed in V1.1 available here:

3533_tkycolorv1.1.zip

You can also now reset all parameters as well as being able to keyframe all parameters which is something I know a lot of people have wanted and you can't do in the Color Board.

The rotation handles are currently just using the default Motion OSC for rotation which was the easiest way to do it - not sure what you mean when you refer to shape mask handles?

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 12, 2012 at 5:05:35 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "The rotation handles are currently just using the default Motion OSC for rotation which was the easiest way to do it - not sure what you mean when you refer to shape mask handles?"

Thanks Simon,

I had thought that you could extend the rotation handle to get finer control but must be confused.

What's great about your plugin is it's keyframable - something that a lot of people have complained about
with the colour corrector in FCPX.

many thanks

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 12, 2012 at 7:31:25 pm

[Mark Dobson] "I had thought that you could extend the rotation handle to get finer control but must be confused."

I see what you're saying - although the handle can't actually be extended as such, the further away you move the mouse once you've grabbed the handle the more you "gear down" the adjustment factor, i.e. the further away you "hold" it the greater the arc through which you need to move the control to make the adjustment.

I completely agree in principle that what you want with these kinds of tools is to be able to "gear down" the movements with large controls - note that you can use this effect in full screen mode where you really get a lot more control because you are moving across a much bigger canvas.

One of my minor issues with the Color Board is that the available area is comparatively very small even on a very large monitor so it inevitably feels a bit "fiddly". My other issue is that you have to step into a separate space for each of the Chroma/Luma/Saturation controls which seems to me undesirable from a UI design point of view.

One of the great things for me about the Nattress Curves filter among other things is how well it uses the space.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 13, 2012 at 9:34:56 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "I see what you're saying - although the handle can't actually be extended as such, the further away you move the mouse once you've grabbed the handle the more you "gear down" the adjustment factor, i.e. the further away you "hold" it the greater the arc through which you need to move the control to make the adjustment."

Hi Simon

where you get this handle is when rotating in the transform tool. You are right about the gearing effect - it's a much finer adjustment the further out you extend the rotation tool.

One reluctance I have towards the new Nattress FCPX Color plugin is that it ships with FX Factory which will install loads of watermarked FX which just clutter things up and I'm not about to buy their FX Factory Pro at $399 - I'd rather put that towards a new C300!

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:17:57 pm

You can disable unwanted FX Factory plugins and prevent them appearing in the FCPx menu by opening up the FX Factory menu in the Applications folder and then unchecking the unwanted apps.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 14, 2012 at 8:55:59 am

[Geoff Addis] "You can disable unwanted FX Factory plugins and prevent them appearing in the FCPx menu by opening up the FX Factory menu in the Applications folder and then unchecking the unwanted apps."

Thanks for that info Geoff - I just watched an installation tutorial on their site - pretty slick operation. why they have stick lift music on all their instruction videos is beyond me.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 13, 2012 at 6:22:33 pm

[Mark Dobson] "One reluctance I have towards the new Nattress FCPX Color plugin"

I have to say that on closer inspection this is a bit of a disappointment - I'd assumed at first glance that the onscreen curves overlay was a control interface, but of course it's just a graphical display of the adjustment, which still has to be made in the Inspector. I'm sure the image quality is great from Graeme Nattress but the UI looks almost redundant.

As for cameras, there are so many out there that I currently crave and the list seems to get longer every month but the c300 would certainly do it for me too!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]