FORUMS: list search recent posts

Benefits

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
Benefits
on Jan 9, 2012 at 1:00:37 pm

Hello all!

Happy New Year to everyone - I hope that all of your grinders have been replaced with a plethora of heavy spending and naive clients who are ready to commission large amounts of work with very flexible delivery dates. Either that, or I hope you are all keeping your head above the waves. Somewhere inbetween?

We have been Adobe/Avid based for a long long time now, although I have some good experience with editing FCP7. I'm really, really curious about what FCPX has to offer and with an open mind I'd like to know what it has that can help to speed up/improve/offer new opportunities for us.

Could anyone here with direct experience of both Adobe CS5.5 and FCPX point out what either app has that the other doesn't?

We work on CS5.5 production premium, but I have a real curiosity to see what FCPX has that CS5.5 doesnt, and vice versa.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Benefits
on Jan 9, 2012 at 2:04:29 pm

I'll preface this with "purely my opinion" - But since you already use CS 5.5 you don't have any need for FCPX. Most of the "benefits" such as native format support, real-time features, etc, are already being performed better on CS5.5 than on FCPX.

The keywording might speed things up a bit, but it's tit-for-tat at that point and the learning curve of a brand new timeline system will slow you down.

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Jan 9, 2012 at 3:49:13 pm

I suspect you're old enough and wise enough to make your own decision. Try running a project through the 30 day trial version:
http://www.apple.com/uk/finalcutpro/trial/

You'll probably need some free training to get started:
http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Jan 9, 2012 at 10:24:08 pm

I was watching a Michael Wohl presentation on FCP X from an Amerstam User group, and I noticed that a lot of cool features he was touting were things that have already existed in Avid and premiere.

FCP 7 was so far behind on things, and so many people were using it exclusively that they didn't realize the world of features had advanced leaps and bounds. Most of the "FAST" comments are coming from "FCP7 to FCPX" users more so that MC and PP users from what I've read.

I've decided to take a little time and go through the tutorials to be familiar with the paradigm and maybe learn it over time, just in case, but MC is so deep, I like spending my time mastering it. Plus I'm in LA where I doubt anyone will touch fcpx for the next 5 years if ever (in broadcast that is).

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:13:56 pm

Concur - test out the 30 day version but make certain you do a couple of training videos first. To just open it up and try to work coming from a source/record NLE maybe frustrating. But with a little training time and an open mind you may come to like it. I find it much faster to color time and mix audio as I work than in FCP/MC or PPro and I've used them all for pay. There are still many missing features but the workflow and 64bitness of FCPX make cutting fun again.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]