FORUMS: list search recent posts

geological internet time.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
geological internet time.
on Jan 9, 2012 at 12:50:48 am

reading back over some of mark morache's deeply pertinent observations that got re-unearthed there below, I thought how weird it was to re-read involved truly germaine perceptive stuff - and so you get to scanning back - there is a cr*p ton of great hither and thither buried on the board - morache himself, lawrence, **absolute time people** seeman, andrew richards, all those guys. this bit from jeremy - a guy who has put more horse power into conceiving mental models for FCPX than anyone I can think of - is fairly tasty:

Deep down, I do appreciate what's happening. I really do. I was getting really sick of sitting still, but there weren't many companies that really seemed poised to make a move. More credit to Apple, they are the ONLY company that designs NLEs that could attempt even 1/16 of the shit they pulled and survive. I also know that software development is really hard. I am not a developer, but I have worked with some, and it is really hard, resources aside. The stakes keeping getting raised, people (us) expect simplicity of really confusing and complicated tasks, and if it doesn't work quite right we get frustrated because they simply don't have the capability to fix it.

On the bright side, there's things to be excited about. AV Foundation with Color Sync, Thunderbolt, XSan built in to Lion, SAN Support built in to FCPX which indicates some sort of real sharing environment and not a bolt on option, really fast/small/efficient/powerful computers, a whole hearted attempt at a modern organizational structure that acknowledges that video is now data, cryptic patterns, crystal balls and of course, unicorns.

the truth is that we all I think, without exception deeply want to believe that a golden thread still runs through apple , that the dots are joined, that there is still a central nervous system in cupertino tended to the broader flourishing and maintenance of the professional creative.
because that is by definition a niche creature. We're all niche. And apple is supposed to be our company.

that said - I really, truly have run out of things to verbally throw at apple, my whole - itunes team on weekend codes imovie plus for the appstore really is my very best hit - any gnat splats on their window pane have long since landed. throwing irritated mud in their eye was my only goal.

all here at the cow are, needless to say, total champions.

seeman does have a point though - this really should be a good, deep, broad debating forum. The title nearly invites it.

(and when debating, will someone please for jesus sake forensically debate the clip dragging GUI responsiveness of FCPX vs FCP7? on current hardware? Please? and why are there delete dissolves? Why is the source monitor excised? hrmm hrrmm hrrmm)

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: geological internet time.
on Jan 9, 2012 at 1:18:15 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "this really should be a good, deep, broad debating forum. The title nearly invites it. "

For better or worse (and we have people all over the place on that) Apple's moves have triggered a very healthy assessment of the industry ranging from software to hardware to development business models to approaches to one's own business purchasing decision models ranging from one person bands to facilities.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jan 9, 2012 at 1:56:15 am

[Craig Seeman] "[Aindreas Gallagher] "this really should be a good, deep, broad debating forum. The title nearly invites it. "

For better or worse (and we have people all over the place on that) Apple's moves have triggered a very healthy assessment of the industry ranging from software to hardware to development business models to approaches to one's own business purchasing decision models ranging from one person bands to facilities.

"

True enough.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2012 at 12:48:07 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "the truth is that we all I think, without exception deeply want to believe that a golden thread still runs through apple , that the dots are joined, that there is still a central nervous system in cupertino tended to the broader flourishing and maintenance of the professional creative.
because that is by definition a niche creature. We're all niche. And apple is supposed to be our company."

That's what I hope. Even though the current set of tools doesn't reflect a clear path, I find it hard not to venture out in to the undergrowth. Alas, I'm not sure if golden thread is manufacturable anymore, perhaps at Willy Wonka's shop.

I could state a few hunches about internal Apple turmoil and changes, but it would be all conjecture as I don't work there.

Eventually, I will come to my own conclusion after traipsing through the thicket. For now, even though the toolset is limited, there are a few signs peering through the brush. I don't have much to say to Apple either except, "Fix it".

And what exactly might be in irritated mud? Sounds like a good science experiment.

Of course, CES Thunderbolt offerings are interesting reads.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jan 11, 2012 at 1:22:21 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Of course, CES Thunderbolt offerings are interesting reads."

Quite true. Why, though, are so many of them coming so long from now? I'm seeing all these Fall and sometime 2013 projections. Is it chips?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2012 at 1:51:13 am

[Chris Harlan] "Why, though, are so many of them coming so long from now? I'm seeing all these Fall and sometime 2013 projections. Is it chips?"

I've read that the parts have been hard to get, therefore there hasn't been much development/lead time.

Apple was the only place to get a tbolt cable for cryin out loud.

Hope it's worth the wait.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]