FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will I Survive...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Pestes
Will I Survive...
on Jun 20, 2011 at 5:24:14 pm

Last night as I was trying to go to sleep this analogy went through my head. I hope you enjoy it. Reading it slowly sets the mood better.

Will I Survive...

It is late, the small hours of the morning slowly creep by. I am in the forward trench, the one we call FCX. To my left and right are many of my comrades... young, old, every mix of society. But we all wait for one thing... for the monster called Apple to release upon us a new weopon called Final Cut Pro X. We have heard countless rumors about this new weopon...many of our fearfull comrades have already deserted us for the safety of the rear trenches called Adobe and Avid. They are safer there, the enemy is known, but we who are still holding the front are less sure of our survival.

I bum a smoke and the light of the match casts a glow on the far trench wall....or is that my computer screen? To my left, Walter and David wait, they appear to be calm but they have been through this before. We have been here for 20 days, waiting for the whisltle to blow... we are haggard, unshaven, eyes red from staring into no-mans-land... I mean empty computer screens...waiting, waiting, waiting...

How will I react to my first contact with this new beast, the beast we call FCX? Will I turn and run like some of my comrades to the safety of Adobe and Avid? What about this new feature called "Smart Collections"... will it prove to be smarter than me? And what about something called the "Magnetic Timeline", will I be pulled into a spinning vortex from which I will never survive? And then there is "Camera Matching", will ths match my every move to counter my skills? My nerves are stretched to the breaking point but still there is no word from the other side... the big enigma known as Apple. Are they a friendly foe or are they out to destroy us all? Only a few weeks ago we were shown a news reel on our bunker wall,...or was that on Youtube... showing the Fuhrer in an uncontrolled rage about this new Apple monster. If he is scared what hope do I have?... Maybe I should join my comrades in the Adobe trench.

We continue to wait...unblinking eyes stare across no-mans-land...when will it come? It should have been here by now...when will we hear the whistle blow and hear the words "its coming, fire at will"!... I mean "its released, download at will!

I reach out and pick up another grenade... I mean my coffee.. and wait... and wonder... WILL I SURVIVE...

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Will I Survive...
on Jun 20, 2011 at 5:46:13 pm

[Ron Pestes] "How will I react to my first contact with this new beast, the beast we call FCX?"

The various stages of post FCP X installation are:

Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
Anger (why is this happening to me?)
Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
Depression (I don't care anymore)
Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

Stages 1 through 4 all come into play during the initial period after download and installation when you attempt to to use X without reading the manual or studying any of the available tutorials.

And, of course, if you're smart and follow my tutorial about setting up yoru system drive for a seamless transition using multiple bootable partitions, you will avoid stress and make it easy to switch back and forth to whatever version of FCP you want to run.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jun 20, 2011 at 5:57:31 pm

Thanks David, personally I am not too worried but the story came to mind from reading all the hype these last few months. I am hoping it relieves the tension for some or our readers by providing a little entertainment.

Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:06:31 am

Well, actually, I went through all of these at the Supermeet.

[David Roth Weiss] "Denial (Wow, I was just over at the Luxor!)
Anger (They cancelled everybody's presentations? Even Alex's?)
Bargaining ( Ok, If I sit through this, maybe I'll win something at the raffle... like a RESOLVE!...)
Depression (I don't care anymore)
Acceptance (Assume the position)"

fecal particles and giggles.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:09:39 pm

Wow! I mean wow!

I enjoyed reading this so much. I could totally see each and everyone on this forum exactly the way you put it in this piece.

David, the calm General marching his troops. Walter, the disgruntled warrior, Craig the indispensable Sergeant Major, Ben the chirpy corporal & me, the scared first timer Private.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:35:21 pm

Glad you liked it! As a Civil War and WWII historian these strange thoughts come to me more than some people.

Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:28:22 pm

[Ron Pestes] "As a Civil War and WWII historian these strange thoughts come to me more than some people."

I graduated with History as one my main subjects. It has always been one of my favorite. Hence, liked your post.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:03:03 pm

and me, the one with the Red shirt(Star Trek theme) :P
LOL!

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 20, 2011 at 8:01:08 pm

[Eric Santiago] "and me, the one with the Red shirt(Star Trek theme) :P
LOL!"

Reminds me of Eddie Izzard's great bit about what happens to the guys in red shirts on Star Trek whenever they beam down to a dangerous planet.

This should bring a smile to your face:

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 20, 2011 at 8:37:58 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "David, the calm General marching his troops."

Keep that up Sohrab and I'll get you promoted and in the press corps.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 20, 2011 at 9:48:29 pm

I can do 'chirpy corporal'. Frankly, with my 40th a few months away I'm delighted - it's a bit like being asked your ID in an American bar....

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]