FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: NIKON enters the video battle field.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Amador
OT: NIKON enters the video battle field.
on Jan 7, 2012 at 1:09:04 am

A clean uncompressed HDMI out (that not other HDSLR seems to offer) is a good point to start:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched

rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: OT: NIKON enters the video battle field.
on Jan 7, 2012 at 1:24:08 am

Quite a demo film too.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jan 7, 2012 at 1:50:15 am

Anxious to see how good it is recording into something like the KiPro - will it be a game changer or another nice try at video for Nikon? Hoping for the best...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:04:53 pm

I wonder how it deals with the "line skipping" that DSLRs have to deal with when recording video which results in aliasing and moire.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:07:38 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I wonder how it deals with the "line skipping" that DSLRs have to deal with when recording video which results in aliasing and moire."

Have you watched the video I linked? Not much moire and aliasing apparent in the 1080 version of it, I know it's a promo but there are some shots in there that a 5D would have problems with

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:12:39 pm

[Steve Connor] "I know it's a promo"

Just me, but I don't trust promo videos since they deliberate skirt issues and/or know how to shoot around limitations.

I'm looking forward to some "real world" testing by human DPs.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:13:20 pm

Craig,

I thought the crop feature on that camera looked interesting in that it seems to imply that at full crop there is no line-skipping. That might be over-interpretation on my part but I immediately wondered about the implications for moire. (Certainly not an ideal solution, but it is the first thing I thought of).

Franz.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:51:20 pm

No need for lines skipping having a good processor.
Moire is a different issue and can be only avoided by reducing horizontal definition in the areas that produce it.
rafael

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:07:18 pm

I think we're done with line-skipping. The GH2 has a better way to downscale the image information from the sensor, I bet the Nikon has something similar, and I bet the next generation of Canon DSLRs won't have that issue either.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Jan 8, 2012 at 11:40:02 am

As a complete ignoramous here will somebody describe and explain line skipping to me. I have no experience of editing DSLR material.

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 8, 2012 at 3:05:53 pm

The sensors on DSLRS are much larger (more lines/pixels) than would normally be used in 1920x1080. So the "real time" way to downscale in camera for video was to skip lines. That would be havoc for diagonal lines or subjects with fine patterns. The tech challenge is how to design a camera that can be used by still photographers who need frame sizes much larger than video and, at the same time, allow for clean real time downconversion for video HD frame size.

If Nikon found an answer I'd love to read about the explanation. It could be filtering for example.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Jan 8, 2012 at 5:07:16 pm

Arrr, I see Craig, makes sense - thanks for the anwser. I guerss that's what the spec means when it talks about 'crop mode' for video. In this mode I guess it's only using the central 1920x1080 of it's sensor.

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 9, 2012 at 4:13:29 am

[Alan Lacey] "Arrr, I see Craig, makes sense - thanks for the anwser. I guerss that's what the spec means when it talks about 'crop mode' for video. In this mode I guess it's only using the central 1920x1080 of it's sensor"
The problem is that you need more than 1920x1080 pixels to pull a decent picture from just one sensor (the SONY EX has 3 x 1980/1080 CMOS).
The more you crop, the less you lose the advantages of a big sensor. A certain cropping would help, but in the end all is about processing power and good algorithms for quality real time downscaling.
rafael

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:45:11 pm

I think you're the biggest thing about the D4 is the clean uncompressed HDMI (10bit as well?) as there is nothing else save anyone using Nikon glass that's revolutionary about the specs. I imagine at somewhere like Atomos there's a huge sigh of relief, as nikon has broken the unwritten cartel to deliberate cripple of the hdmi by the camera manufacturers (as they are camcorder manufacturers), I think this makes it a lot more difficult for canon (on 5dmk3) not to have a clean hdmi out, likewise the GH3 (although fair play for at least allowing the hacking to go unhindered), and Sony as well. I'd expect clean hdmi to be the norm within 18mths, and further convergence and hybridisation of DSLR & camcorders.

Now I only need prices to come down on SSDs! For 6 ninjas.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:42:03 pm

Looking promising
http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2012/01/07/nikons-james-banfield-demonstrate...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:10:29 am

Lets see what happens.
The four companies are japanese, so nobody know how things may und up.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:41:17 am

http://www.eoshd.com/content/6757/live-qa-with-nikon-reveals-nikon-d4-video...

The ugly

The downsampling of the sensor is similar to the Nikon J1, a $499 mirrorless camera. According to Nikon, “subsampling is only along each horizontal video line; there’s no sub-sampling between video lines.
” Frankly this is bloody ridiculous. I’ve seen the results of this on the J1 and it isn’t pretty – sheering on fine diagonal patterns and very soft detail. I expect better from a pro DSLR. With that in mind don’t expect resolution on the D4 to beat the GH2 or Canon 1DX with DIGIC 5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]