FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the current state of ProRes in the Windows world?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Harlan
What's the current state of ProRes in the Windows world?
on Jan 4, 2012 at 9:48:37 pm

I'm thinking more seriously now about jumping from the Apple ship. One of my hesitations is the enormous amount of ProResHQ projects that are currently in my--and my client's--pipeline. Certainly, I'll keep all my Mac stuff going, but where are things, these days, with Windows and ProRes? And, for that matter, Media Composer, Windows and ProRes?

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: What's the current state of ProRes in the Windows world?
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:02:06 pm

I haven't encountered any problems at all working with Prores in either MC 6.0 or Premiere CS5.5 on windows. Of course, it is decode only with these apps, but apart from that is really is no different at all compared to working with it on the Mac side. I export into DnxHD (or Cineform) on Windows.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:19:10 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "I haven't encountered any problems at all working with Prores in either MC 6.0 or Premiere CS5.5 on windows. "

Cool!

[Frank Gothmann] "Of course, it is decode only with these apps, but apart from that is really is no different at all compared to working with it on the Mac side. I export into DnxHD (or Cineform) on Windows."

Can I wrap ProRes in MXF on Windows, or do I need to transcode DNxHD back to ProRes on a Mac for clients who require ProRes delivery? And does transcoding still have bad gamma juju, or has that mostly been worked out?

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jan 4, 2012 at 11:03:55 pm

No re-wrapping to Prores on windows unfortunately.
As far as gamma is conerned, same as on the Mac side. Regular import = relateively slow and gamma shift (in my case length x 4). AMA, no gamma shift. Trancoding AMA file to DnxHD MXF via consolidate/trancode = very fast and NO gamma shift (in my case length x 0.8).
If you need to deliver Prores to your clients you could either encode the Dnx output on the Mac, or play-out on the AVID and capture on a Mac or Kipro or you can get Episode Engine for Windows and encode your Prores jobs on the windows side.
Yes, Engine costs a few bucks but you but you'll easily save that money with the hardware over a relatively short period of time.

Return to posts index

Ty Wood
on Jan 13, 2012 at 9:20:07 pm

There's hope yet, though!

http://www.telestream.net/company/press/2011-03-31.htm

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?269583-5DtoRGB-now-does-ProRes-enc...

No exporting directly to, but at least with the FlipFactory route (Server OS required) you have a transcode option for special deliveries.

Return to posts index

Tony Hernandez
on Dec 9, 2012 at 8:29:43 pm

A new multi transcoder encoder for PC windows including export to Apple ProRes from any microsoft windows is available from now.

CINEC allow to encode video to prores 422 or 4444, DNxHD and XDCAM
Fast processing thanks to multicore support

Available at: http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/

Tony Hernandez
Hardware & Software Technician
Colaborator of the Cinemartin pro. portable video recorders team

Return to posts index

Sean Salzman
on Aug 1, 2013 at 12:34:06 am

Does Cinec Gold not support importing R3D files? I've tried this and it just doesn't work. Running windows 7 64 bit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]