FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X and MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio Ulisse
FCP X and MacBook Pro
on Dec 31, 2011 at 7:59:24 am

Hi
I own an early 2011 MacBook pro (2.3 I5 with 8gb RAM). With FCP X it performs very well in acquisition and editing (from a miniDV Canon HV30 with firewire) but when it comes to rendering, especially if I apply some grading, the system stucks even on 20" timelines. Until now I tested it only on internal 320gb 5400 rpm drive with only 100gb free space left, and obviously this is the first, and I hope the only, reason. That's why I'm going to buy a second disk. My problem is that thunderbolt disks are still too expensive, usb 2.0 is not an option, firewire is busy with my camera and I would avoid to cascade camera on firewire disk. That's why I'm going to remove superdrive to put an additional 750gb 7200rpm sata disk using a caddy adapter, and use it only for fcp projects. Is it a good solution?

Thank you and happy new year to all of you.

Fabrizio

Return to posts index

larry tempesta
Re: FCP X and MacBook Pro
on Dec 31, 2011 at 5:24:07 pm

render issue might be from working off the internal HD, always edit off of a external HD (raid preferably). I usually open my project off my desktop and keep all my media on an external HD and work off of that.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: FCP X and MacBook Pro
on Jan 1, 2012 at 6:08:33 am

[Fabrizio Ulisse] "That's why I'm going to remove superdrive to put an additional 750gb 7200rpm sata disk using a caddy adapter, and use it only for fcp projects. Is it a good solution?"

That should be a big improvement over the 5400rpm system drive. You can also go Esata with an expresscard adapter.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]