FORUMS: list search recent posts

So..I was hired because of FCPX.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerald Baria
So..I was hired because of FCPX.
on Dec 31, 2011 at 2:24:09 am

As you might be aware..if WEVA awards is any indication, the wedding video industry in our country, the Philippines, is pretty bad ass. And more and more people are availing of SDEs (Same-Day-Edits) being the current highlight at the reception. Most (if not all) of the wedding video studios here uses adobe premiere pro primarily because of speed and no need to transcode.

But I knew better, since the first time FCPX was released I have loved it. And I have been tinkering with it every single day for my enthusiast activities. Then an owner of one of the up and coming studios saw my videos and began messaging me on facebook, asking how my glidecams are pretty smooth.;) and what I use as editing software. She was a Final Cut 7 user and was astounded upon knowing that FCPX can eat thru avchd without transcoding. So she bought a trial copy that night..and started poking around the program. A couple of days later she was offering me to join her company, I respectfully declined at first since I am with another company but offered to do part time whenever Im available. She brought me to one of their weddings and I did the very first SDE I ever did on a macbook 13 running a trial fcpx. It was their most amazing video sde yet..and that night, she bought a full copy. The next week she was pretty much forcing me to go full time seeing how fast and efficient I make an sde, so I suggested, since my gf knew the program well too..that she hires her instead as in house editor, using FCPX of course. And she gave me a consultation job.

So there..a revolution is happening. FCPX is slowly creeping into the pro world.:)

Here's a new project that I've been working on for the company. A short teaser, using the fastest lens in the world,Leica Noctilux 50mm f0.95 on a Nex 5N.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: So..I was hired because of FCPX.
on Dec 31, 2011 at 10:08:15 am

That's quite a lens!

"FCPX Agitator"

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 31, 2011 at 10:50:43 am

Good for you! The more I play with the latest rev of FCPX the more I'm convinced it's gonna win the NLE war in 2012... it truly is epically fast and just plain fun to work with. I hated it for so long and now have a hard time even looking at older NLE's lol.

Happy New Year!

Yes I'm a "pro" Editor and I like FCPX!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Dec 31, 2011 at 6:16:47 pm

Yesss..and very expensive. I use to just read and dream about it and I just creamed when I saw one in person attached to my boss's Leica M9.:D Thankfully she had an m-mount adaptor for Nex. Such a great camera.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Dec 31, 2011 at 5:51:19 pm

That's pretty cool. Congrats! I keep coming back to this site to hear those kinds of stories. Truth be told however, I just recommended that my company purchase Premiere and they did. I miss FCP already but I just don't trust Apple right now. They keep buying these great apps and EOL'ing them. No road map. I just have no idea what they are going to do. Yet I keep coming back hoping to hear something good.

I downloaded the trial and tried to use a simple effect and it destroyed the project file. I could open it but that's about it. It scared the heck out of me. I imagined recommending this program only to have it lock us out of the most important project involving some important political figure. I truly do hope the fix all the bugs and commit to their pro users. I'll keep watching.

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Dec 31, 2011 at 6:22:51 pm

There are some editing jobs where its speed is just beyond valuable..one of those is this SDE thing for wedding videographers. Imagine doing an entire cinematic edit in less than an hour after you gathered all the shots you've just filmed several hours before. And everyone in the reception's audience is waiting for it as the event's climax. So its a great thing that such a program exists for us.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 31, 2011 at 6:34:02 pm

I can see how the speed would be useful in those circumstances, I'm looking forward to editing my first conference highlights film with FCPX shortly

"FCPX Agitator"

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jan 1, 2012 at 2:02:52 pm

Holy Crap!

That is a sweet lens but good grief... I think I need to defib my heart.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:25:03 am

You mentioned that most editors doing same-day edits were using Premiere Pro, and then discussed some of the advantages FCPX has over FCP.

Were there any FCPX features you used that you think gave you any advantages over using Premiere Pro for the same project? Likewise, do you feel that Premiere Pro gives any unique advantage over FCPX for this kind of work?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:24:44 pm

Ok, when I first started getting interested in video, guess what my first investment was..no not a camera but a powerful computer.:D I know that a finished video is only as good as its editing. ;) But before I bought one I researched hard on what software to use since this will determine the specs of the computer Id be buying. I decided to go with Premiere because firstly, the individuals which I looked up to being the multiawarded groups for several years now in WEVA, Jason Magbanua and Mayad, all use Premiere Pro. I searched why, as the only editing platform I am aware of at that time was final cut..I saw it at" the making" of some movie somewhere. Then I discovered the answer...its the "no need to transcode" feature. A feature so important especially when your doing same day edits which time is of the essence. Instead of waiting for gigabytes of files to be transcoded to prores, you could be editing in premiere already. And this reason alone justifies the use of Premiere Pro in the wedding videographers businesses here in our country. The other more probable reason is its cheaper than all other NLEs.

So the I downloaded a copy of the trial and watched hours upon hours of youtube tutorials to familiarize myself of how things worked..then I started to learn editing. As much as I loved it, there were some things that I wish were there that could have made my editing faster, like when I decided to insert some clip in the middle of the timeline, I wouldnt have to select all theclips in front of it then move it, and mind all the clips that might hit each other than gets trimmed without me knowing. I would have loved it if I decided to move a video file, all thespund I placed below it wiuld just follow it around...an important feature cause on sdes your usually editing to the music. I would have loved to just changed clips quickly just to try how each one will look without having to drag and readjust everything. I would have loved to just see and pic all the section of my clips that I could use faster than playing them one by one.

And then Final Cut Pro X was demoed and my jaw dropped. It does exactly all of the things I wanted to have happend and did it well. Now in less than an hour I can skim thru hundreds of clips, pick the ones I can use. Clip a music to a slug. Drop all the usable clips I want, further trim them down to the music. Overlay slo mo clips over voiced ones, add color corrections, effects, titles without rendering. Clips move around whenever I decide to insert one in the middle of them. My sounds,vlices, music stay with the videos that theyre supposed to be with..and I can group them all togetther while i add or move around others. I can try several clips thru audition until im satisfied without ever minding the rest of the timeline. And I can export all of thsoe at almost the same length as my video output.

FCPX seems to just help you with all of the redundant stuff..so you can focus more on creating your vision, your story. It just takes care of all the clutter for you. And is insanely fast! That I think are the main advantages.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:45:51 pm

EDITED ALL THE WRONG SPELLINGS. SORRY TYPING ON IPAD.:)

Ok, when I first started getting interested in video, guess what my first investment was..no not a camera but a powerful computer.:D I know that a finished video is only as good as its editing. ;) But before I bought one I researched hard on what software to use since this will determine the specs of the computer I'd be buying. I decided to go with Premiere because firstly, the individuals which I looked up to being the multiawarded groups for several years now in WEVA, Jason Magbanua and Mayad, all use Premiere Pro. I searched why, as the only editing platform I am aware of at that time was final cut..I saw it at" the making" of some movie somewhere. Then I discovered the answer...its the "no need to transcode" feature. A feature so important especially when your doing same day edits which time is of the essence. Instead of waiting for gigabytes of files to be transcoded to prores, you could be editing in premiere already. And this reason alone justifies the use of Premiere Pro in the wedding videographers businesses here in our country. The other more probable reason is its cheaper than all other NLEs.

So the I downloaded a copy of the trial and watched hours upon hours of youtube tutorials to familiarize myself of how things worked..then I started to learn editing. As much as I loved it, there were some things that I wish were there that could have made my editing faster.

-Like when I decided to insert some clip in the middle of the timeline, I would'nt have to select all the clips in front of it, then move it, and mind all the clips that might hit each other that gets trimmed without me knowing.
-I would have loved it if I decided to move a video file, all the sound I placed below it would just follow it around...an important feature cause on sdes your usually editing to the music.
-I would have loved to just changed clips quickly just to try how each one will look without having to drag and readjust everything.
-I would have loved to just see and pick all the section of my clips that I could use faster than playing them one by one.

And then Final Cut Pro X was demoed and my jaw dropped. It does exactly all of the things I wanted to have happend and did it well. Now in less than an hour I can skim thru hundreds of clips, pick the ones I can use. Clip a music to a slug. Drop all the usable clips I want, further trim them down to the music. Overlay slo mo clips over voiced ones, add color corrections, effects, titles without rendering. Clips move around whenever I decide to insert one in the middle of them. My sounds,voices, music stay with the videos that they're supposed to be with..and I can group them all together while i add or move around others. I can try several clips thru audition until i'm satisfied without ever minding the rest of the timeline. And I can export all of those at almost the same length as my video output.

FCPX seems to just help you with all of the redundant stuff..so you can focus more on creating your vision, your story. It just takes care of all the clutter for you. And is insanely fast! That I think are the main advantages.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 2, 2012 at 5:33:08 pm

[Gerald Baria]Here's a new project that I've been working on for the company. A short teaser, using the fastest lens in the world,Leica Noctilux 50mm f0.95 on a Nex 5N.

Actually, Voigtlander has a lens that's also an f/0.95, so the Leica is one of the fastest in the world.

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Jan 3, 2012 at 2:33:59 am

[Gary Huff] "Actually, Voigtlander has a lens that's also an f/0.95, so the Leica is one of the fastest in the world."

And cctv cameras has lenses that has up to 0.75 apertures. And a zeis experimental lens for the military ang NASA and Stanley Kubrick had f0.7 etc. etc. But if you type in "worlds fastet lens" in google, all the reputable photography sites lists the Noctilux f0.95 as THE Fastest Lens in the World, probably because its the only one who actually lives up to the hype having an actually usable f0.95, which is sharp even wide open. And it is the only one still currently in production. And an actual lens developed for the aperture, and not some rebadged cctv lens. So even if literally, there are a lot more lenses with a lot bigger apertures, this is the only one who DESERVES the title, IMO.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 4, 2012 at 3:33:37 pm

[Gerald Baria] "..But if you type in "worlds fastet lens" in google, all the reputable photography sites lists the Noctilux f0.95 as THE Fastest Lens in the World, probably because its the only one who actually lives up to the hype having an actually usable f0.95, which is sharp even wide open. And it is the only one still currently in production. And an actual lens developed for the aperture, and not some rebadged cctv lens. So even if literally, there are a lot more lenses with a lot bigger apertures, this is the only one who DESERVES the title, IMO."

But its happens that nobody knows the Noctilux (75.000 results in Google), whyle lot of people are using or crazy about to get the Voigtlander (162.000 results).
Read about Voigtlander. Nothing related with CCTV.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Jan 5, 2012 at 3:33:13 am

[Rafael Amador] "But its happens that nobody knows the Noctilux (75.000 results in Google), whyle lot of people are using or crazy about to get the Voigtlander (162.000 results).
Read about Voigtlander. Nothing related with CCTV."

Yeah, the voitglander is an all manual lens created for micro 4/3 sensors. And at just a little over 1k usd, its pretty rechable by most photgraphy enthusiasts. But the Noctilux is made for full frame sensors..and the best f0.95 lens by far. Also the most expensive.

Less people discuss the Noctilux maybe because very few people can afford/able to get one becasue of its price and very long order waiting time. All the more reason why the video is special.:D There's a steep increase in interest on all these exotic leica super primes because of the EVIL cams the best of which are the Nex lines..so we may very well see an increase in those Noctilux "knowledge base".

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 7, 2012 at 4:12:59 pm

Got it.
New = Better.
Bigger = Better.
More expensive = Better.
If only my self can understand it = Better.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mont Sherar
on Jan 2, 2012 at 6:51:06 pm

Great story, nice video, and man would I LOVE to own that lens!!!! ;-=)))))

Return to posts index

Dylan Haley
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:05:36 am

Gerald,

I'm having the same experience. Different clients, but still needing SDE's, and I've recently re-learned AVID, after 10 years of FCP, and took the time to complete the same edit in both programs and FCP X saved me about 4 hours, maybe more. That to me is worth everything, as I'm editing multiple hour-long HD shows weekly. I am, after a tantrum that almost cost me a computer, falling in love with the speed and simplicity of X. However, I also completely agree with Craig, as I really feel "professionally abandoned" by apple at times. I love apple, fcp and Color. But I also spent many years learning Apple's Color program, and now there is no support. I have colleagues in the same studio who have similar experiences with Shake, and I wish I had all the time I spent learning those programs back, because Apple will simply not commit to the professional. Color was awesome, Shake was awesome, and now they are dead. We don't see Davinci or Avid pulling their professional support. Please Apple, re-assure us, because this is your last chance from pros who have loved you for decades.

I'm loving FCP X and the time I'm saving is giving me my life back, and probably saving my relationship with my girlfriend:-) But now that I've made the commitment to start cutting my shows with X, I'll be damned if I stay with Apple if they don't start showing some loyalty to us professionals who first cut on their software and learned to type on the first Mac. Just my opinion.

It is nice to hear positive comments. I'm still mastering Avid, just in case Apple wants to completely pull professional apps. But in the meantime, I'm cutting on X and loving the fun I'm having again like the first time I edited in a professional bay.

~Dylan Haley
Director of Photography
Ampersand Studios, SB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]