FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe startles Wall St with Q4 sales climb

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cardonna
Adobe startles Wall St with Q4 sales climb
on Dec 24, 2011 at 1:26:03 am

Wonder how much fcpx had to do with this.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/16/adobe_q4/

Time to pump more money from cloud

Just one month after Adobe confirmed it was axing around 7 per cent of its global workforce and backing away from its Flash Player software on mobile gadgets, the company has reported final quarter results that surprised Wall Street.

It pulled in revenue of $1.1bn (£0.7bn) for the three months ended 2 December, up 14 per cent from the same quarter a year earlier. Adobe notched up total sales for the year of $4.2bn compared with $3.8bn in 2010.

Net income stood at $173.7m (£112m) for the quarter. Digital media and marketing performed well during Q4, the company added.

Adobe said it expected to see revenue of around $1.025bn to $1.075bn in its first quarter of 2012.

Profit excluding items for Q4 was 67 cents per share.

Wall Street responded positively with shares up 3 per cent at $27.26 on Nasdaq in extended trading.

Adobe confirmed in late November that it was slashing 750 jobs across its enterprise licensing biz and focusing on HTML5 work as part of a restructure to pump up its digital media and marketing software. ®

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Adobe startles Wall St with Q4 sales climb
on Dec 24, 2011 at 1:48:06 pm

To be honest - I doubt it had much to do with the weakness of FCPX or the strengths of Premiere Pro either way. Most new Premiere Pro users didn't go out and buy it, they already had it and just never opened it.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 24, 2011 at 7:51:03 pm

"Most new Premiere Pro users didn't go out and buy it, they already had it and just never opened it."

Just curious, Daniel. Why do you say that? PPro has been very popular since CS4 and much moreso since CS5.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 29, 2011 at 12:21:04 am

[Shawn Miller] "Just curious, Daniel. Why do you say that? PPro has been very popular since CS4 and much moreso since CS5."

Easy: people bought Adobe Creative Suite more for Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects than anything else. A lot of them wanted to use the applications in conjunction with Final Cut Pro.

Now Apple has motivated them to take a closer look at Premiere. Perhaps they like what they see, and don't like what they don't see in iMovie Pro.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 29, 2011 at 4:29:28 am

"Easy: people bought Adobe Creative Suite more for Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects than anything else. A lot of them wanted to use the applications in conjunction with Final Cut Pro."

Sorry Ron, I just don't agree. I think this might be true for FCP and Avid editors, but PPro has had a large following among corporate, event, VFX/MoGraph artists and small post houses for a long time. I can see why this might be a surprise to folks in broadcast and medium to large post houses though. IMO, FCP and Avid users tend to ignore anything that happens outside of their respective camps. My guess is that in the pre-FCPX days, not many FCP or Avid editors ever bothered to visit the PPro, Media 100 or Vegas forums here on the cow.... doesn't mean those forums weren't active, or that no one was using these applications... it just means that the world of post is bigger than FCP and Avid.

At any rate, I'm glad that more people are investigating other NLEs (including PPro).. I think it will make the world of editing better and more diverse in the long run.

Shawn

Shawn

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 29, 2011 at 11:24:12 am

[Dave LaRonde] "
Easy: people bought Adobe Creative Suite more for Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects than anything else. A lot of them wanted to use the applications in conjunction with Final Cut Pro."

Hi Dave,

You're coming from a broadcast perspective which happens to be what I focus on. As the other person said, Premiere Pro is very popular among a wide ranging audience for many years.

From your broadcast world - While I would absolutely agree with this statement from a historical perspective, it is certainly not the case recently. I am talking to broadcasters almost exclusively about Premiere Pro and not really about After Effects and Photoshop.

Regardless of the cause, we are delighted with the opportunity to present our products to more people and to gain their feedback and insight for future iterations.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 29, 2011 at 12:49:39 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "Regardless of the cause, we are delighted with the opportunity to present our products to more people and to gain their feedback and insight for future iterations."

I hope you do well, it's good for all of us to have as many great tools in the box as we can

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]