FORUMS: list search recent posts

Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Smith
Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist)
on Dec 22, 2011 at 8:53:40 am

I am now seriously annoyed at this.
All of my Events and Project Librarys are missing when I load up Final Cut Pro X. As its loading the splash screen it spins through that its reading the event library, restoring windows etc etc
But when its fully loaded up there are NO Events or Projects listed.
Can anyone advise what to do here?

Previous to this I had a solution where I kept rebooting the computer until they finally all showed up in FCPX again, but this has now completely stopped working.

All of my files still exist correctly, but its just like FCPX doesn't see them (they are all sitting on my internal HD)

I have files called

CurrentVersion.fcpevent

sitting in
Movies>Final Cut Events>(Name of Event)

and files called

CurrentVersion.fcpproject

Sitting in
Movies>Final Cut Projects> (Name of project)

All of my video media exists in
Movies>Final Cut Events>Name of Project>
Original Media
in their individual folders

If I double click from Finder and try to open a
CurrentVersion.fcpevent

I get the pop up
The document “CurrentVersion.fcpevent” could not be opened.

If I double click from Finder and try to open a
CurrentVersion.fcpproject

I get the pop up
The document “CurrentVersion.fcpproject” could not be opened.

Everytime I start up FCPX it creates a
NEW EVENT (plus the date)
in my Final Cut Events folder.

So, any help anyone?
I'm now thinking what a terrible choice it was to ever bother buying and spending weeks learning how to use FCPX properly and that I should have used a different video editing program instead.

This is seriously depressing :(

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist)
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:33:01 pm

Need more info on your setup. If you had a "solution" where re-booting several times caused the missing files to show up it sounds more like a hard drive issue. Have you run disk first aid, repaired permissions, deleted preferences etc.? Based on my experience with FCP X what you are describing sounds like something other than an FCP problem.

NT

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist)
on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:15:53 pm

FCPX may treat your hard drive as a card from a camera if you have "camera related" folders (i.e. DCIM) on your drive. Check this thread for more info:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3279953?start=0&tstart=0

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:32:16 pm

[Eugeny Korkhin] "FCPX may treat your hard drive as a card from a camera if you have "camera related" folders (i.e. DCIM) on your drive. Check this thread for more info:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3279953?start=0&tstart=0"

Thanks for the link... this is important info. So basically you can never have any files with the words "movie", "video" or "Final" in them? All I can say is how did this get by the final testers?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:52:16 pm

I have 1864 files with the word FINAL in it according to Finder.
There is no way I can change all of these to NOT have the word FINAL in them.
Although I DID create a wav, aif and mp3 with the word final in it recently, but Ive already used this wav in a FCPX movie and it worked ok.

Ive tried changing the names of SOME of the most recent files to not have the word FINAL in them, but FCPX still doesnt show up any events or projects (even thought they DO exist in their folders).

MOVIE - Dont even go there :)
VIDEO - Again, dont even go there :)

I DID have an SD card connected to the Mac with a DCIM folder containing images, which I ejected. I also searched the system for DCIM and found nothing.
but it still doesnt show up any events or projects (even thought they DO exist in their folders).

Ive been going through Disk Utility, Verifying and Repairing Disk Permissions.
REPAIR DISK is always greyed out though.

Still nothing.

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Dec 22, 2011 at 5:23:30 pm

Ive also just booted up with the OSX disc and REPAIRED then system.
But its still not showing up events and librarys

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Dec 22, 2011 at 5:26:29 pm

I never had this problem by myself, so I can only guess. But it seems to me that it relates to folder names, not files. And not only DCIM folder may cause trouble, but other camera-specific names as well.
That is a bug. No doubt. But Apple can call it a feature:)

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:03:36 pm

More updating.

I tried the hide/move events/projects files into new folder
as explained here

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4740

and it STILL doesnt work.

I even tried it with individual events projects, but nothing :(

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 22, 2011 at 7:35:54 pm

Have you tried moving the events/project to an external drive?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 23, 2011 at 2:40:23 am

If I read all the threads correctly, it seems this isn't actually a Final Cut Pro issue so much as an underliing Unix file tree issue.

It starts with the poor practice of doing FINDER copies of card data that creates essentially false directory tree branches that X "thinks" leads to cards - but don't.

How can the program tell whether a particular DCIM file is a proper camera clip or a finder tag for an asset collection? My brain can supply context based on where amongst the thousands of possibilities I put it - but I don't think the computer's directory is going to parse that.

I"m also suspect since thee original posts about this were from September, and if this was persistent and universal, I think we would have seen a LOT more squawking about this - since tagging a clip as a FINAL has got to be a pretty universal convention and I've done it quite a bit myself without any hassles.

Bottom line. Archives and/or Disk Images are your friend, since it appears that FCP-X never gets confused no matter how many of them are on a hard drive and how many you open to re-populate your projects. They just work and simultaneously keep all the directory structure info in precisely the same state it was when the card came out of the camera.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Dec 23, 2011 at 9:57:27 am

Hi Bill
Thanks for your comments but I am still looking for a solution to this problem. Even if this is an issue with my system and not with Final Cut Pro.
Out of EVERY app I have this is the only app that I am experiencing any problems with. This is why I am calling it a FCPX fault.

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Dec 23, 2011 at 4:52:19 pm

Let's put it another way. This problem can be easily recreated. I have just tested that. Creating a new folder named DCIM in the root of the hard drive makes all the projects and events on that volume disappear for FCPX. Once you delete that folder, they are all back. So, make sure you don't have DCIM in the root. And who knows what other names of folders or places they are located in can cause that trouble.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:35:09 pm

[Bill Davis] "If I read all the threads correctly, it seems this isn't actually a Final Cut Pro issue so much as an underliing Unix file tree issue.

Perhaps, but I don't think so. The only issues with UNIX involve the use of punctuation in the filename. All of these words can be used in file names and work fine under FCS, AE, Motion etc. It's FCPX that seems to be having some kind of issue with some aspect of this.

[Bill Davis] It starts with the poor practice of doing FINDER copies of card data that creates essentially false directory tree branches that X "thinks" leads to cards - but don't.

How can the program tell whether a particular DCIM file is a proper camera clip or a finder tag for an asset collection? My brain can supply context based on where amongst the thousands of possibilities I put it - but I don't think the computer's directory is going to parse that.

So those of use who have been using card based cameras longer than you and doing finder copies without any issues are suddenly wrong. Okay...

[Bill Davis] Bottom line. Archives and/or Disk Images are your friend, since it appears that FCP-X never gets confused no matter how many of them are on a hard drive and how many you open to re-populate your projects. They just work and simultaneously keep all the directory structure info in precisely the same state it was when the card came out of the camera."

So once again, we need to change the way that we do things because Apple has decided "theirs" is a better way. There's a reoccurring theme here. Funny how we didn't need to do that with ANY other program.

BTW, if I read that thread correctly, Steve Martin has confirmed that making disc images under Lion doesn't work like it did under SL. In fact, I believe he said it doesn't work. The Command File-New-Blank Disk Image has indeed been removed in Lion. Are you making Disk Images? If so are you using Lion? If so, I'd like to know how you you are doing it?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 23, 2011 at 7:22:34 pm

I just use the same workflow I've been using for the past two years and it's still working perfectly. (Including under Lion - which I've used for the past six months without a single problem in my editing workflow.)

Mount your camera card via the finder. (I happen to use a USB card reader, but direct connecting the camera via USB works the same.) Then launch the Apple free "Disk Utility" software and choose "new disk image" from the menu bar. Select and image the card.

Done.

If you want to take the time to re-name the disk in the finder prior to imaging it, feel free - or don't - it really doesn't matter in the long run and freshly formatted cards that are UNTITLED won't cause fatal problems later - but you might like having ID tags on your desktop for your mounted cards later - your call.

Even if you launch a dozen archives so that you end up with a dozen "Untitled" cards on your desktop - X keeps it's act together, likely referencing the underlying "virtual disk ID" data rather than just the finder names.

The bottom line is that there are workflows and habits that lead to success in all complicated processes - and usually small "gotchas" in all sorts of specific workflows. Thus it has ever been - thus it will ever be.

I honestly don't think it's on Apple to protect us from ALL possible workflow snafu's, since there are just WAY too many possible combinations of ways to do things.

It's on us to do what this thread is all about - share "best practices" so that people can learn about what avoids the problems.

If we wait for our software to be "perfected" before we use it - we'll likely be waiting forever.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 24, 2011 at 3:58:16 am

I think we are talking about two different disk images here.

BIll, you are talking about a disk image that essentially makes an image of the selected "disk".

Andy, You're talking about sparse disk images for media storage.

Spare disk images for media storage (while clever), in my opinion are not a good idea. Just my opinion.

Since they aren't working in Lion as they did in Snow Leopard, that's a pretty good reason to stay away from them and manage Events/Project via Apple's recommendations in the FCPX manual, or use a rather excellent front end of the Finder in Event Manager X. Worth every penny of just under 5 bucks.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Dec 24, 2011 at 8:42:14 pm

Jeremy, you are absolutely right - They are speaking different languages, for sure. But what is even more surprising, is why would they still discuss the way they work with images in this exact thread? Who cares? You may be putting whatever you want in images, even your .doc files, but let's get back to earth - John is still missing his events and projects and I think he wouldn't mind some real advice, rather than read your arguing.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 24, 2011 at 9:19:07 pm

[Eugeny Korkhin] "Jeremy, you are absolutely right - They are speaking different languages, for sure. But what is even more surprising, is why would they still discuss the way they work with images in this exact thread? Who cares? You may be putting whatever you want in images, even your .doc files, but let's get back to earth - John is still missing his events and projects and I think he wouldn't mind some real advice, rather than read your arguing."

Wow, sorry to offend. I thought the points were valid especially to a new user. There's something to be said for techniques that arent working, no matter how the thread started. I'm curious if the OP has tried moving the media to a different drive.

No answer.

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:15:54 am

I have no folders called DCIM on my system.
I am not using Lion I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.8
I am not making disc images.

I cant see how moving the media to a different drive is going to do anything seeing as it FCPX cant see it when its directly on the main internal hard drive itself (That everything else is on too)

Thanks Eugeny Korkhin for trying to get this back a little more on topic

Any more suggestions on how to sort this problem please?
I feel that there needs to be some kind of way to tell FCPX which folder to find events and projects in.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 28, 2011 at 2:16:11 pm

[John Smith] "I cant see how moving the media to a different drive is going to do anything seeing as it FCPX cant see it when its directly on the main internal hard drive itself (That everything else is on too)"

Just to see if FCPX can see another drive, and therefore get you back up and running.

Or do you not want any help?

It will also tell you if there's something wrong with the actual event/project or not.

And as always, trash your prefs.

Return to posts index

Mont Sherar
on Dec 28, 2011 at 8:37:22 pm

I can truly understand and FEEL your frustration John.

I too have had the same issue. Even when making dupes from within FCPX to another drive (selecting copy ALL references etc), sometimes certain clips including audio is simply missing. It is there perfectly on the drive. Its a pure copy from one drive to the other. And yes, I've tried several different drives. Reinstalling. Trashing prefs. Even buying an expensive utility just for fixing FCPX from Digital Rebellion - to NO AVAIL.

Not to sound cynical but it is amazing how some simply "insist" it must be no fault of the app (FCPX) because THEY have never had the same experience. Then, the same advice over and over. Trash prefs etc.

This is clearly a BUG. Period. As mentioned, it is not even consistent in its behaviour even though THE HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, AND ACTIONS selected are identical to recreate the problem! (FCPX sometimes seeing clips/audio - and sometimes NOT when making backups and then reloading from that dupe.)

Someone wrote here that perfection is not to be expected. Sure of course that is true. Patronizing to suggest that anyone wouldnt think that! BUT, to expect a video-editing program to perform proper connections of media is something that should be a GIVEN prior to releasing it! Otherwise, dont release it until first base is reached - that is just OBVIOUS! Why do some feel the absolute urge to defend these complete BASICS of expectations? Oh wait, it must be because THEY dont have the problem - therefore it isnt something that THEY worry about.....lol...

I understand you completely John, and unfortunately it appears we need to wait until a future (hopefully the next one) release before something as basic as this can be realized.

Return to posts index

Mont Sherar
on Dec 29, 2011 at 11:17:31 am

Here is some possible useful info re. media suddenly "unconnected".

Begin from time 124:40

It shows a common problem - that is, the user has the playback setting selected that are not valid for the media (proxy media is showing up as "offline" because proxy is not selected in playback) etc.

HOWEVER, note after this is discussed, they also CONFIRM their own experiences for "media not connecting for "unexplained" reasons ..... and these are not dumb, inexperienced users like me ;-)))

"trash preferences" lol...

The best way to get something done is to
++++++++++B E G I N +++++++++++

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 29, 2011 at 3:13:15 pm

I don't think the original poster has disconnected media, it's that the events aren't showing up at all.

Lol!

Return to posts index

Mont Sherar
on Dec 29, 2011 at 3:23:24 pm

Sure - that is correct.

Therefore it must be explainable by preferences or disk repair issues lol!

Point is, some things are not explained in simple solutions - we have to wait until they are fixed in a coming update because the problems lie within (bugs) within the app itself.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 29, 2011 at 3:39:10 pm

It very well could be that something is wrong with the database structure, in which case nothing we say here will help. It seems odd to me that it worked on day and not the next with nothing being done by John Smith.

It could also be that something very simple is wrong, like an improper folder structure, or a preference that is set incorrectly. Trashing prefs is a really easy way to start troubleshooting, and the free Preferences Manager is a good tool to use.

I have been helping out on the FCP forum for years, and starting simple and then exhausting your options is a good what it takes, unless you want to start over. There's no question that FCPX needs added stability, but that does not preclude user error from happening, especially on a new programs such as FCPX.

Welcome to the cow by the way,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mont Sherar
on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:02:08 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome :-)))

I dont doubt your competence/expertise one iota, just pointing out that it seems there are a few "connection" issues (ie. anything related to the app not seeing or showing things that are definitely there) with the data structure itself, and not user error (as evident by these guys in the video whom are very savy to FCPX.

And you are 110% correct that because it is a new approach being introduced , there are bound to be plenty of user errors as well - me not exempt either ;-)))))

P.S. I'm not at all a "nay-sayer" I truly welcome the new interface and approach. FCPOS (Old School) was truly getting to be long in the tooth. OSX had long outpaced the app so a change was inevitable. Bugs or not, I'm willing to give it a fair shot - the future looks bright, and in the meantime FCPOS has not vanished from my machines;)

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 4, 2012 at 3:29:13 pm

Does anyone have anymore help on this matter for me please?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2012 at 3:59:01 pm

[John Smith] "Does anyone have anymore help on this matter for me please?"

You are going to have to help us help you.

Please post a screen grab of your FCPX browser.

After that, please post a screen grab of your Final Cut Pro Projects and Final Cut Pro Events folders.

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:15:17 pm

OK. Here you go. I have noticed something from taking a screen grab of the folders. My MOTION TEMPLATES folder has been modified today at exactly the same time as the Final Cut Events folder. But I havnt started up Motion today. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Apologies but I dont know just how much of the screen you want an image grab of. Any questions please ask.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:27:42 pm

[John Smith] "My MOTION TEMPLATES folder has been modified today at exactly the same time as the Final Cut Events folder."

Motion templates are connected to FCPX, it's OK.

I need to see what's inside your Events and Projects folder.

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:39:47 pm

Hi
Again, I'm not sure how far in you want me to go, but here is the next level in. I hope this is what you require.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:47:56 pm

Yep. This is all good.

Now go in one level deep on the "Ballet" Event.

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:50:33 pm

Here you go

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:57:25 pm

Great.

Now twirl open "Original Media"

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 4, 2012 at 5:01:21 pm

Roger!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2012 at 5:08:50 pm

OK. Things are looking alright there.

Give me a screen shot of your "movies" folder.

Is there any media in all those Events marked "New Event..."

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 4, 2012 at 5:14:44 pm

Hi
My Movies folder is already above (just below the screen shot of FCPX)

Each of the NEW EVENT folders just has a single
CurrentVersion.fcpevent
file in them

So each time I start up FCPX it seems to create a new Event for some reason.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2012 at 5:24:18 pm

[John Smith] "My Movies folder is already above (just below the screen shot of FCPX)"

Wasn't sure if that was all of it or not. Thank you.

[John Smith] "Each of the NEW EVENT folders just has a single
CurrentVersion.fcpevent
file in them"

Most of those aren't showing up either, even though they were created yesterday. Quit FCP and trash them from your Finder.

Have you tried to delete and reinstall FCPX yet? There's something fishy going on here.

Are you on Lion?

Also, do you have an external drive?

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 4, 2012 at 5:39:24 pm

Most of those aren't showing up either, (NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN HERE) even though they were created yesterday. Quit FCP and trash them from your Finder. (IVE DONE THIS MANY TIMES)

Have you tried to delete and reinstall FCPX yet? There's something fishy going on here. (THIS IS MY NEXT STEP)

Are you on Lion? (NO, SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.8)

Also, do you have an external drive? (NO)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2012 at 5:50:54 pm

[John Smith] "Most of those aren't showing up either, (NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN HERE) "

The only Event that is showing up in your FCP Browser is the one created today. The ones dated yesterday are not showing up.

Have you tried Preferences Manager yet?

[John Smith] "Quit FCP and trash them from your Finder. (IVE DONE THIS MANY TIMES)"

So why are they still there? I am specifically talking about the folders named "New Event..."

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 5, 2012 at 10:46:52 am

Hi there
When I delete the Events in FINAL CUT EVENTS FOLDER

named for instance
New Event (followed by) Date

the next time I start up FCPX again its just creates a New Event Folder each time called

New Event (followed by) Date

for each time I start up FCPX

Yes, I have tried deleting preferences manually and have also used the App Preferences Manager.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 5, 2012 at 2:39:37 pm

Since you dont hsve an extetnal drive to test, the next thing I would do us make a "Final Cut Events Inactive" and "Final Cut Projects Inactive" folder and drag the events and projects in to those folders appropriately, with FCPX closed of course.

I would then delete FCPX, and then reinstall it from the app store.

Then move just one event in to the final cut events folder and launch FCPX.

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 5, 2012 at 3:47:27 pm

Before trashing/reinstalling FCPX I decided to copy of all my events/projects files to an external hard drive (Keeping the same folder name on the external hard drive).

I then decided to start up FCPX with the external hard drive attached AND with also keeping the same events projects in the proper place on the internal hard drive.

FCPX very slowly said what it was reading on the splash screen as it started up the FCPX (When this hasn't been working properly it usually just whizzes through this)

And then Events showed up OK and in Project Library there were the same projects twice (one on Macintosh HD, one on Untitled - My external Hard Drive).

I could access all of it OK except I had one error message. (Which I clicked OK to).

I closed down/booted up FCPX a few more times and it was all still there OK.

Then I closed down FCPX, disconnected my External Hard Drive, rebooted the system, opened FCPX again (without External Hard Drive Connected) and it went back to not recognising anything again.

So I reconnected the External Hard Drive, started up FCPX again (I got a different error message, to which I clicked OK) but this time only three of four projects were there, but all 3 events were there. But they were all projects on the External Hard Drive NOT the internal Hard drive.

I restarted FCPX and all four projects then appeared from the External Hard Drive, but not from the internal hard drive.

Honestly, this is maddening!
Im going to try reinstalling FCPX next, but just thought I'd advise where I was now.

(Error message screen shots below)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 5, 2012 at 4:20:15 pm

[John Smith] "Honestly, this is maddening!
Im going to try reinstalling FCPX next, but just thought I'd advise where I was now."

I'm glad you took the extra step in getting an external hard drive. It truly is the only way to start to troubleshoot.

Thanks for doing that.

I think instead of working with all that media at once, start one at at time.

Quit FCPX.

Make the "Inactive" folders I was talking about on both internal and external, and move all the Projects?events in there. Forget about the media on your internal drive, only work with the external for now.

On the external drive, move one event in to the Final CUt Events folder, and launch FCPX.

Does it load? If so, great, quit FCPX.

Go through every event like this until you find one that isn't working.

Once all the events are loaded, then do the same with projects.

This is just to see if everything is up and running, I know it's a lot of work.

If all your events and projects are OK, quit fcpx, and then I'd trash all the stuff on your internal hard drive FInal Cut Events and Projects folder. Launch FCPX. There might be some thumbnails that need to rebuild, so let it run. If you want to move things back to your internal drive, use FCPX to do so, but I'd suggest just work from the external.

Those warning you are getting are FCPX protecting you from yourself as it's finding duplicate media.

It appears that your events and projects are in tact, which is good. There does seem to be something wrong with your internal drive or perhaps the FCP cache files within the Events/Projects folders on your internal.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 5, 2012 at 4:35:14 pm

Hi Jeremy
I decided to re-install FCPX as I said I would.

When I move FCPX App to the Trash The Final Cut Pro Event and Final Cut Pro Projects still stay where they are in Movies folder on the internal Hdrive.

Is this correct?

Anyway, so I trashed/reinstalled FCPX and it seemed to work properly again, but I thought I'd try a reboot to see if it was permanent. (Just to note it had also created a New Event with Date type Folder as per before)

Rebooted the system, FCPX wont recognise the events/projects again.

And its KEEPS creating new event folders in sequential order every time I start up FCPX

ie
New Event 5-01-2012
New Event 5-01-2012 1
New Event 5-01-2012 2
New Event 5-01-2012 3
New Event 5-01-2012 4

I'm wondering if this has something to do with it?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 5, 2012 at 4:52:22 pm

[John Smith] "I'm wondering if this has something to do with it?"

Is this on your internal or external drive?

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 5, 2012 at 4:55:51 pm

Internal drive.
I have not reconnected up my external drive since I have reinstalled FCPX. Therefore I have NOT attempted your previous posts suggestions yet. I'm just not sure Ive got the mind to do it today now as Ive been on this 3 hours so far today and gotten no where.
I might have a look at it again tomorrow as my brains melted now.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:20:59 pm

[John Smith] "I'm just not sure Ive got the mind to do it today now as Ive been on this 3 hours so far today and gotten no where."

What do you mean? Your projects/events are working on the external, right?

I would say that's progress, no?

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 6, 2012 at 3:40:26 pm

Make the "Inactive" folders I was talking about on both internal and external, and move all the Projects?events in there. Forget about the media on your internal drive, only work with the external for now.

On the external drive, move one event in to the Final CUt Events folder, and launch FCPX.

Does it load? If so, great, quit FCPX.

Go through every event like this until you find one that isn't working.

Once all the events are loaded, then do the same with projects.

This is just to see if everything is up and running, I know it's a lot of work.

Doing this has had no effect.

If all your events and projects are OK, quit fcpx, and then I'd trash all the stuff on your internal hard drive FInal Cut Events and Projects folder. Launch FCPX. There might be some thumbnails that need to rebuild, so let it run. If you want to move things back to your internal drive, use FCPX to do so, but I'd suggest just work from the external.

I appreciate the fact that I can work now from the External hard Drive, but sometimes NOT ALL of the projects/events appear unless I keep restarting FCPX, which to me says that something is STILL not right. Couple this with the fact that the system also creates a new event EVERYTIME, and something just doesnt feel right.

Just to note, I take it if I work on an External HD project, it updates the saves on the External HD, and it doesnt try to save it on the internal drive?
I just done know if its worth me cutting my losses with FCPX now and try a different video editing suite instead. I'd hate to spend weeks editing video for it all to go kaput again.

Those warning you are getting are FCPX protecting you from yourself as it's finding duplicate media.

It appears that your events and projects are in tact, which is good. There does seem to be something wrong with your internal drive or perhaps the FCP cache files within the Events/Projects folders on your internal.

I dont think there is anything wrong with my internal drive as every other program I have runs fine. But there is definitely something wrong with the way FCPX looks at my system.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 6, 2012 at 4:11:44 pm

[John Smith] "Doing this has had no effect."

No effect on what? They didn't load? or they did load?

[John Smith] " appreciate the fact that I can work now from the External hard Drive, but sometimes NOT ALL of the projects/events appear unless I keep restarting FCPX, which to me says that something is STILL not right. Couple this with the fact that the system also creates a new event EVERYTIME, and something just doesnt feel right."

I would agree, but this might not be a function of FCPX, but rather something indicative of your entire system.

[John Smith] "I dont think there is anything wrong with my internal drive as every other program I have runs fine. But there is definitely something wrong with the way FCPX looks at my system."

Which can indicate a greater problem. Sometimes things can sort of work, but not fully work.

On your external, can you see all of your projects?

When is the last time you ran maintenance options on your disk like repair permissions? Are you the only user on the home drive?

My feeling is that there's a bigger problem here than just FCPX. FCPX seems to work, your system seems to be having trouble.

I am sure you don't want to hear that.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:31:01 am

"Doing this has had no effect."
No effect on what? They didn't load? or they did load?

They did not load.

On your external, can you see all of your projects?

Yes although as stated sometimes it take a few restarts of FCPX to get them all to appear.

When is the last time you ran maintenance options on your disk like repair permissions?

As stated earlier in this post, this was done on 22nd December 2011.

Are you the only user on the home drive?
Yes

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 9, 2012 at 4:03:57 pm

[John Smith] "Yes although as stated sometimes it take a few restarts of FCPX to get them all to appear."

I would try deleting your render and cache files with your external drive disconnected and FCPX shut down.

Your media and databases seem to be fine as they do work.

Your drive/system on the other hand seems to be having some issues as the events on the external work.

When you load the external events, are the Events on your internal "hidden"?

Are there any background processes running?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 10, 2012 at 9:53:53 am

"Yes although as stated sometimes it take a few restarts of FCPX to get them all to appear."

I would try deleting your render and cache files with your external drive disconnected and FCPX shut down.

Not sure what you mean here, I'm talking about the events/projects on the EXTERNAL hard drive here appearing after a few restarts of FCPX, so I cant delete the render/cache files on the EXTERNAL hard drive without having it connected?

Your media and databases seem to be fine as they do work.

Your drive/system on the other hand seems to be having some issues as the events on the external work.

Correct.

When you load the external events, are the Events on your internal "hidden"?

Yes, events/projects on INTERNAL are always hidden from FCPX as to whether I have the External Hdrive plugged in or not. I have stated this previously.

Are there any background processes running?

No I am running ONLY FCPX

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:28:22 pm

[John Smith] "When you load the external events, are the Events on your internal "hidden"?

Yes, events/projects on INTERNAL are always hidden from FCPX as to whether I have the External Hdrive plugged in or not. I have stated this previously."

But did you follow my advice and move them OUT of the Final Cut Pro Events/Projects folders?

[John Smith] "Are there any background processes running?

No I am running ONLY FCPX"

Sorry, i should have been more specific. When you open FCPX, click on the little render wheel next to the tc readout. It should open the background process display. Is anything running?

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:22:28 pm

"When you load the external events, are the Events on your internal "hidden"?
Yes, events/projects on INTERNAL are always hidden from FCPX as to whether I have the External Hdrive plugged in or not. I have stated this previously."

But did you follow my advice and move them OUT of the Final Cut Pro Events/Projects folders?

Yes, as stated in my post Jan 6, 2012 at 3:40:26 pm

"Are there any background processes running?
No I am running ONLY FCPX"

Sorry, i should have been more specific. When you open FCPX, click on the little render wheel next to the tc readout. It should open the background process display. Is anything running?

No, there is no background processing taking place.
but then again why would there be if FCPX is not showing any Events/Projects (without the external hard drive plugged in)

Do you have any other suggestions? No offense intended to you (You have been very helpful indeed), but I just feel like we're going round in circles now.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2012 at 6:18:21 pm

[John Smith] "But did you follow my advice and move them OUT of the Final Cut Pro Events/Projects folders?

Yes, as stated in my post Jan 6, 2012 at 3:40:26 pm"

Your last repsonse was confusing. I undertand that FCPX can't see them, but that different from hiding them from FCPX.

"Yes, events/projects on INTERNAL are always hidden from FCPX as to whether I have the External Hdrive plugged in or not. I have stated this previously."

[John Smith] "No, there is no background processing taking place.
but then again why would there be if FCPX is not showing any Events/Projects (without the external hard drive plugged in)"

Because crazy things happen. When moving things in FCPX, there's times where clips and footage doesn't show up until FCPX is done processing them.

[John Smith] "Do you have any other suggestions? No offense intended to you (You have been very helpful indeed), but I just feel like we're going round in circles now."

Check the permissions on your Final Cut Events/Projects folder. (This is different from repair permissions)

To check the permissions, you click on the folder and get info (command-i). Look down at the bottom and twril down the "Sharing and Permissions" section. What do you see?

I maintain that you have more of a system problem and not an FCPX problem as your database is in tact.

I cannot see your system, so I can only speculate. Sorry if this free help is no good to you. At least we figured out your Events/Proejcts are in tact.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jan 10, 2012 at 6:43:49 pm

To check the permissions, you click on the folder and get info (command-i). Look down at the bottom and twril down the "Sharing and Permissions" section. What do you see?

I have already done this and set them all to read and write privilege

Return to posts index

Shane Stokes
on Feb 22, 2012 at 8:37:56 pm

Hi John, just wondering if you ever got this sorted out? I'm having the same problem with FCP X 10.0.3. A previous installation of FCP 10 (original version) works fine in this regard. I'm completely stumped, and really frustrated...

Thanks, Shane

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:18:58 am

Hi
I managed to get this to work by having all of the projects and events on a separate external hard drive (Which I think I formatted in Mac OS Extended).
Sorry if this isnt the answer your looking for, but its the way I got around it.
Plus its freed up space on my internal hard drive now as well.

Return to posts index

Ted Hogeman
on Jan 7, 2013 at 4:45:23 pm

Hey, I know it's been a while on this thread, but I just recently encountered this problem too and I think I figured out a solution:

I rebooted into safe mode (holding down the shift key on startup), then started up FCPX while logged in on safe mode (I don't know if this is a necessary step, but I tried it just to see). It gave me an error message saying that Final Cut's OpenGL needs aren't supported in safe mode, so I restarted the computer normally and all my events and projects are back.

Hope this helps anyone else who has this issue!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]