FORUMS: list search recent posts

A new forum needed for FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Holmes
A new forum needed for FCP X?
on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:50:08 am

Why?

1) it's a completely new product - support for it will require different answers, and that means confusion here ("what version are you using?")

2) both versions (7&X) are likely to be in use concurrently for a year or more

3) there will continue to be a lot of threads in this forum asking the same questions and new ones as release gets nearer.

Just a thought. Hosts - care to comment? I realise eventually only X will be left, but until then...

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: A new forum needed for FCP X?
on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:52:02 am

I agree 100%!
The sooner, the better.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 15, 2011 at 5:11:22 am

I'm with Scott. The drivel being spouted by gushing fanboys and aghast "pros" alike should be quarantined in a separate area.
Okay, maybe thats a bit harsh, but seriously, with all these FCPX threads a fella can't see the wood for the trees round here anymore.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:19:33 am

I say no way!

This forum is engaging in mere idle speculation about a product that has only been given a Sneak Peek, which is still in the works, and which has traditionally been bundled with other applications, which I tend to doubt have been totally eclipsed by the single application at which a select number of people have been allowed to see close-up.

Why don't you just start an NFL Draft forum while you're at it?

Why don't you start a forum on odds on the Indianapolis 500 or the Kentucky Derby, too?

I hope cooler heads prevail in this suggestion.

C'mon, folks, the Sneak Peek was two days ago! Do you really think that Apple, that enigmatic software developer, is really going to tip its hand, or do you think it has shown you all it's going to show you until the release date which is TWO AND A HALF MONTHS AWAY?

Get a grip, people.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rahul Duggal
on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:36:10 am

We might need an FCP X forum when he actual release is out. There is no point in having a sub forum for a product that doesn't really exist.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:31:12 am

If nothing else, I'd love a room to go to after I watch the presentation for the 50th time and want to gush about how excited I am and how much I love that color correct matching thing without spoilsports crapping all over my dreams.

I think I'm going to self-induce a coma until June.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 15, 2011 at 3:14:25 am

[John Davidson] "I think I'm going to self-induce a coma until June."

Good idea.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:51:05 am

[John Davidson] "I'd love a room to go to after I watch the presentation for the 50th time and want to gush about how excited I am and how much I love that color correct matching thing without spoilsports crapping all over my dreams. "

Give the man a prize!!!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:01:46 am

I think this is a good idea. It will be easier for people using FCP right now to get answers to their questions if their threads don't get lost in a bunch of FCPX discussion...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:30:06 am

I think would be great a "Pre-FCX" forum to keep so much senseless discussion out of the FCP forum.
Once FCX released, should be just the old FCP Forum.
There are enough elements to consider FCX as a new application, but most of FCP still lays inside.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:00:05 am

I'm now just ignoring any future FCPX threads, too such shouting, speculation and gnashing of teeth going on, just going to wait for more official news

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:19:52 am

[Steve Connor] "I'm now just ignoring any future FCPX threads, too such shouting, speculation and gnashing of teeth going on, just going to wait for more official news"
I have to say that I'm very surprised with the reactions.
Many people sounds like "FC operators", no like "video editors".
rafael

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:42:22 am

Well, the problem I can see for the Cow hosts with starting a new forum specifically for FCP X is when do you then bring it all back to the regular FCP forum? At some point, FCP X just becomes FCP.

We still get posts on here for FCP 3 - 6 but we don't move those off into their own forums called "Old FCP"

This is one of the reasons we always ask for, but rarely get, a full system setup when you post your question. The easiest way to do this is to simply put the system setup in your signature.

So I would not vote for a separate Final Cut Pro forum. It's the same application, same community, just a new interface and new look.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:58:47 am

[walter biscardi] "So I would not vote for a separate Final Cut Pro forum"

Oh snore. I think you are missing the point Walter ... the FCP X forum can just be called the "Utterly pointless FCP speculation forum" if you like. When FCP X ships then FCP X posts would no longer be so pointless or speculative. The issue we're all having a quiet laugh about here is just that the COW's FCP forum (in fact just about every FCP forum, not surprisingly) has been mobbed by annoying panic posts the last few days ... and wouldn't it be nice just to put all that somewhere else where folks who care for it can have at it to their hearts content without diluting everything else.

Grumble moan .... it'll all die down soon anyway I expect as folks realise the sky didn't just fall in and/or more details slowly filter out.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:10:17 am

[Andy Mees] "Oh snore. I think you are missing the point Walter ... the FCP X forum can just be called the "Utterly pointless FCP speculation forum" if you like."

Well honestly, if you go back in time through the years on the forum, your point applies to every single release of FCP. For weeks leading up to and after NAB or whenever there are rumblings of a new FCP, the forum turns into pure speculation for a few weeks and then it dies back down again.

Come June this forum will fill up again with folks who have it and all the various things they love / hate about it.

It's a regular cycle. I don't really see a need to move off the FCP X threads this time just because it's a new interface.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:19:19 am

[walter biscardi] "Well honestly, if you go back in time through the years on the forum, your point applies to every single release of FCP. "

Absolutely ... all the more reason for a dedicated "pointless speculation" forum! Seriously tho mate, you do realise I'm joking right? You seem to be playing it all rather dead pan.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:04:59 am

I agree with you Walter.
I've proposed Ron a kind of temporal "FCX-prerelease" discussion forum.
That forum could be trashed the very day of the FCX release.
rafael

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:48:38 pm

I think the reactions of some regulars here proves the point - and as far as Walter's points go, FCP 3-6 all have pretty identical support needs - FCP X is a new piece of software in almost every respect.

I think this means there's a lot longer to support 2 very different apps (there's plenty of people here still on FCP4.5) than people comment.

Also - people WANT to ask questions, some to speculate, and some to get reassurance not to panic etc. I think they should be able to do that without being shot down by people. In all honesty, too much of that goes on already.

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:02:28 pm

"Let us build three tents here; one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elija"

:-)

I already asked Ron about this and was turned down, based on his previous experience on things like this, and who am I to argue.

I can see the point of both sides of the argument. I am resigned to wading thru the current wave of X posts until June, but I'd point out we have the FCP forum broken into a pro side and a beginner side already, to help streamline and broadly categorize the two different levels of help requests now. That seems to work okay. I'd like the FCP-X stuff to have it's own forum just so all the info and speculation can be conveniently located on one place. But I'll live with whatever the boss wants to do. It's all very interesting.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:06:59 pm

Interestingly (well maybe not that interesting) the FCP Basics forum is blissfully free of FCP X posts ... so for a bit of sanity we can always just pop over there. :-)

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:00:16 pm

Thank you. I think that should make everyone happier. Have at the uninformed speculation in 3-2-1....

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:34:46 pm

[walter biscardi] "Well, the problem I can see for the Cow hosts with starting a new forum specifically for FCP X is when do you then bring it all back to the regular FCP forum? At some point, FCP X just becomes FCP."

I think the simple answer is, you don't.
The new version may (or may not) eventually become the default 'Final Cut Pro', but lots of folks will still be using Final Cut Studio down the road.
If X is a completely 'new from the ground up' app, it should just live in its own world.
This is complete speculation on my part but it seems like the issues most people have problems with will have different answers for X, than FCS 2-3.
Plus there will be at least two months of hell for everyone when they install X and their old plugins, drivers and devices don't work, can't figure out the interface, their pre-X SL installs are done wrong, and the usual "why didn't they (insert your desire)" rants. None of that troubleshooting will have much to do with pre-X FCP, and the new version should have it's own leaders to help address these issues.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 15, 2011 at 5:44:44 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "If X is a completely 'new from the ground up' app, it should just live in its own world."
FC just took surgery but is the same guy.
You already know about him, more than you don't know.

Most part of the posts in this forum are related with video (workflows, codecs, formats, gammas, interlacing..) and those will be the same whatever the FC version we are in.
rafael

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]