FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interesting time to jump or not to jump...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Lloyd Culley
Interesting time to jump or not to jump...
on Jun 17, 2011 at 10:41:07 am

I have a confession. Bare with me if you will.

For two decades I have had a secret I have been made to feel I should keep hidden. From the design and advertising industry I was considered an outcast, shunned at events or pitied as the guy who didn't use a mac...

So in my regular 4 year workstation replacement cycle, well meaning friends attempted an intervention, "PETE, get a macpro and change to fcp... You will love it!"

I hop online to apple.com and see that a macpro with 12 cores seems like a real powerhouse but missing thunderbolt and have to fork out more for a nvidia quadro to get mercury with prem pro... THEN I read about FCP X... Ask at the reseller... They know nothing... Get on the forums... Think I know, get to the source, the top paddock of intel! Creative Cow... Egads... I became afraid, views from objective to hysterical but all obviously passionate.

So I want to thank this community for a timely reminder of the the place that 'tools' take in any profession. Watching a series of videos on Videoguys.com blog from Larry Jordan said it all and caused me to pause... I just want to communicate stories, information... Anything that makes that easier (even with a learning curve) is progress imho.

So here I am, instinct telling me exciting times await, Just maybe I will be redeemed and not shunned next time I am asked... "You use a mac don't you?"... But when is the new macpro coming out? Oh the comedy;)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Interesting time to jump or not to jump...
on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:12:02 pm

[Peter Lloyd Culley] ""You use a mac don't you?"... But when is the new macpro coming out? Oh the comedy;)"

I think Apple's sequence of computer release was well thought out (or a very happy accident) regarding Thunderbolt. The need for Thunderbolt in MBP which goes beyond the single model with the Express port is great. The need for Thunderbolt in iMacs, to give it professional expandability is great. MacPros have PCIe slots so while Thunderbolt is certainly a new open door, the immediate need isn't quite as great. Apple may be looking for other "enticers" to happen to make a new MacPro a highly desired purchase, such as new CPU chips.

My guess is the new MacPros will be coming soon but I'd venture it'll be after Lion and some may say not until Intel get the next latest greatest chip set out the door.

What Apple has gained is that the entire MBP line becomes a viable portable edit system. iMacs become a viable lower cost professional work station. I suspect FCPX, along with new Thunderbolt storage and Video I/O peripherals coming shortly, will sustain those hardware sales while Apple cooks up the next MacPro.

I do see the MacPro line evolving over the next year or so as a result of Thunderbolt. It's conceivable that an all Thunderbolt (sans PCIe) model may happen although I wouldn't think that would be this year. It's a direction I can guess at for next year or following.

So if you get a MacPro now you should be fine with PCIe slots. A year or two from now might be a very different world though.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:08:53 pm

[Craig Seeman] "So if you get a MacPro now you should be fine with PCIe slots. A year or two from now might be a very different world though."

That's why I'm delaying new Mac Pro purchases. I'd rather wait for a new form factor, thunderbolt model with new processors. If I need other units in the next few months, I'll purchase used probably - to be honest, to run FCP7, my 8-Core 3.0Ghz Xeons are still just as quick as most 12-cores. And this will eventually change. I can wait.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:13:35 pm

[Ben Holmes] " to run FCP7, my 8-Core 3.0Ghz Xeons are still just as quick as most 12-cores"

Yeah, but AE Renders are a whole new story, and for me that's just as important as FCP rendering...if not moreso.

I'd still wait on buying a new Mac Pro till Thunderbolt one's come out. Actually I am doing that right now. I'm do for a new machine but will be waiting however long it takes.

I might be wrong on this...but thunderbolt is kinda useless at the moment as of last time I checked there weren't any thunderbolt drives available yet. So you really aren't missing out on anything yet.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:25:07 pm

[Matt Callac] "I might be wrong on this...but thunderbolt is kinda useless at the moment as of last time I checked there weren't any thunderbolt drives available yet. So you really aren't missing out on anything yet."

I think that's absolutely true, at least for the most part. Whatever TBolt devices are available (Promise, CalDigit???) the choice is very limited and may best be left to those who enjoy being guinea pigs at this point.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:07:57 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Matt Callac] "You forgot to mention the part about David always being one of the first people to step up and help everyone...and also the part about how he's just a nice dude all around with a great sense of humor."

Have you ever thought about a career in public relations? You're hired!"

Hey, DWR,

I just read through the "Re: Larry Jordan speaks about FCPX" thread from yesterday. You hired me to do your cow PR work and I totally was asleep on the job. Sorry, I wasn't in this board yesterday when I could have been of assistance to you. I believe you were suppose to pay me in Tacos. Feel free to withhold my taco allowance for this month. I'll gladly resign if you wish.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:19:24 pm

[Matt Callac] "I believe you were suppose to pay me in Tacos. Feel free to withhold my taco allowance for this month. I'll gladly resign if you wish."

It was pizza Matt, but if you prefer tacos that can be arranged.

Meanwhile, it does appear you're still needed, so don't give up yet...

THNX,
DRW

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:30:20 pm

[Matt Callac] "[David Roth Weiss] "Money? You want actual money?

Hold on there just a minute Matt, we're discussing PR for film, video, TV, etc. As you know well, we're all supposed to do all this strictly for our art and our love of the game. Money is just so very capitalistic.

What about pizza, a credit, and a copy of the DVD? That seems to work on Craigslist..."

Dude, I didn't say anything about money. I just said "what" will you pay me. Pizza...If that's all you can afford will work, but I'd much prefer tacos."

I'll certainly take pizza as it beats a copy of the DVD, but preference is always tacos.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:39:41 am

[Matt Callac] "I'll certainly take pizza as it beats a copy of the DVD, but preference is always tacos."

For you Matt, lobster would probably be the right form of payment, but if you don't come running to my defense when I need ya I'll have to chow down on the lobsters so I have the energy to fight.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:18:48 pm

It's not so much the capabilities of the various busses. PCIe is just as capable as Thunderbolt in terms of moving data. It's how the ease of use and other advantages of Thunderbolt will affect product development for that connection as opposed to another. For example, AJA is developing new portable video I/O devices with Thunderbolt. They are talking about 4K throughput and the like. If all the good stuff is developed for Thunderbolt, we'll all go there eventually and anything without it will be obsolete.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:43:31 pm

Pete - wait. Don't buy anything. I'd put good money on a new Mac Pro refresh coming with Thunderbolt in August/September. The rumor sites are awash with hints that new hardware is being withheld until after Lion's release in July. A little wait time can save you lots of money.

You're right - big times are coming for Apple products across the board.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:18:25 pm

so Pete - exactly what are you using. There is no shame (and now there should be pride) in running a Windows 7 HP Workstation with Adobe CS5.5. This combination should outperform the new FCP X. There is no reason to be an outcast - this may be the smart decision for the near future. And you know, Pete - you can run CS5 on a MAC too ! (what a revelation !).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 18, 2011 at 2:34:55 am

To echo Bob:

CS5.5 is quite brilliant; stable, plays just about everything natively with real time effects and should be considered by anyone who doesn't want to wait if it's going to take Apple some time to get FCP-X up to speed. Just saying.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Peter Lloyd Culley
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:39:00 am

I want to thank you all for responding to my first ever post on Creative Cow. What a fantastic wealth of expertise and wisdom... Reminds me of why I love working in this industry.

I'm reading in detail all responses and know this all will play an integral part in my final decsision which may well be both PC and MAC... Is that playing a loaded deck? Well I'm not in Vegas... (the place;)

I have pottered along on a humble Dell duo for the last few years with PPCS3&4 and managed to put out some stuff I can live with... The bulk of my work has been graphic related and PSD orientated so no issues there that cant be improved by going to a 64 bit whatever...

BUT more video story telling opportunities are evolving, particularly web based delivery... So I am no BBC or National Geographic candidate but I am enamoured with the process.

How can one not be excited with SSD and all sorts of options on the horizon. I empathise with those with gazillions invested in platforms only to feel unlurved and can see why some have such firm opinions.

So upshot? Hell I may just get a 27 imac with 16GB of ram, have my thunderbolt ready for what must be coming and jump in and see for myself what I have been missing? Worst case scenario I have something very nice to use as a general computer for surfing the wonderful web.

Gentlemen, thankyou once again. I have really enjoyed reading your responses. Have a great weekend.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2011 at 2:39:35 pm

[Peter Lloyd Culley] "my final decsision which may well be both PC and MAC"

Bootcamp and Parallels. My 8 core Mac is also running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. There are a number of Windows only tools I use in my work. For file compression analysis the free Bitrate Viewer is Windows only and there's no Mac equivalent, for example. On those rare occasions where I must do WMV encoding, Microsoft Expression does that free (Windows only). Macs run Windows very well these days so there's no reason buying a Mac would stop you from using it as a PC when needed. So often we see forum posts with "I've edited this in FCP but will it play on Windows." There's nothing like being able to test directly either lightly in Parallels or booted into Windows itself with Bootcamp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]