FORUMS: list search recent posts

Goodby to FCP 7, you will be missed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo Bermudas
Goodby to FCP 7, you will be missed
on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:44:32 am

After watching Larry Jordan talk about Final Cut X being a complete rewrite, and that Apple has a poor track record on dot zero releases, one thing is sure, Final Cut Pro will cease to exist as we know it.

This is a new editing software, with many things missing that, as Larry said, will probably get incorporated in later versions.

I don't know the rest of you, but I don't feel like starting all over again. One thing I gotta give Avid though, is that they're stable, and right now, Apple is making me feel very unstable.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Goodby to FCP 7, you will be missed
on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:48:21 pm

We've been running Avid since Meridean days. Now were at NitrisDX.
No its not stable :P
Its another tool and when that tool needs to be sharpened/fixed, we just move sideways over the very reliable FCP.
Looking forward to adding another tool called FCPX ;)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:20:06 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "I don't know the rest of you, but I don't feel like starting all over again"

You're in the wrong profession then. You can't get me near the CMX340 I started editing with. I'd curse at a 2" tape machine today.

If you think you're starting over then one needs to evaluate what one actually knows. The editing skills I learned on the CMX 340 are still relevant, just a lot easier to execute, with today's software. I fully expect once I learn FCPX, it will be leagues easier than FCP7.

Maybe with a sense of irony, it seems to be the younger ones who've never lived through the industry changes, who fear change the most.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:50:52 pm

Gustavo,

As a creative professional I have always welcomed throwing it all away and learning something new. In my editing career I have used, AVID, FCP, Media 100, Lightworks, Discreet EDIT, premiere pro, and just about any software that lets you put two images together on a timeline.

As a Director/DP ive used everyting from film to small, large, medium format, etc.

My point is that old reliable is great, in many situations, but true creatives are ready to embrace and learn somehting new. It exercises a part of teh brain and can open your mind in many different ways. Many pieces of saftware accomplish the same things with a different language.

Donn't be afraid of a new piece of software and there is nothing stopping you from "freezing your system" and editing the way you like to right now.

I new an AVID editor who was still editing on two 14inch CRT's and a very old version of offline only AVID software because it suited his needs and it was what he liked. The tool was there for editing purposes only and it served him well and he edited many hours of footage and created some great films.

No one is bending your arm into using FCP X and apple isn't going to go on your machine and take away FCP 7. If you like it stay with it.

David

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:49:18 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "I don't know the rest of you, but I don't feel like starting all over again."

I actually consider the ability to start all over again (again and again) to be one of the most important skills anyone can have.

It is certainly hard work, though.

[Craig Seeman] "Maybe with a sense of irony, it seems to be the younger ones who've never lived through the industry changes, who fear change the most.

Or those who have built their businesses on the back of the last big disruption (the DV revolution) -- and I think it's very understandable. When you have an established pipeline that's making you money, change (disruption) is unsettling. I think there's the latent concern that FCP X could be to FCP today what FCP was to Avid in the early 2000s.

One thing is for certain -- we live in interesting times.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:13:22 pm

We all heard what Larry Jordan said about FCPX being not ready from the get go, but what most people didn't read was his blog that states he has since changed his stance. He also shared about how he has had access to FCP architects but could not share conversations due to NDA.

Here's my take on things, Apple has actually had many years to work and field test FCPX without anyone knowing it was FCPX in iMovie. Yesterday I took an IMX clip imported it into the latest version of iMove and added text graphics, changed the contrast, white balance, audio eq and ect all while playing in realtime and without any hiccups. The coolest thing was applying fx while it was playing and not even choking one bit. Given iMove doesn't have any of the pro editing features that we are looking for, but for a base code it has been well tested and tried for the past several years. I would imagine that like any new update to FCP there will be bugs and probably more so with FCPX. But I would say it's going to be more stable than what people believe.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:09:17 pm

Anyone Got a link to this. I'd be interested to read what he said about "changing his mind".

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:16:43 pm

[Matt Callac] "Anyone Got a link to this. I'd be interested to read what he said about "changing his mind"."

It's on Larry's blog:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:54:02 pm

Thanks Walter. May have been a Somewhat premature post. I'd poked around on google trying to find it with no luck....but I hadn't scrolled down the page and seen the topic: "Larry Jordan speaks about FCPX"

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:24:15 pm

[Walter Soyka] "It's on Larry's blog:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html
"

I juat read that "statement" and it almost looks reads like it was written by apple. It definitely has that air too it, like it went back and forth a few times before it was posted.

I'd love to read what the real conversation was.

Read the next bit as satire:

"Um. Are you effing nuts, making a statement like that before we release a piece of software we have been promising for years?"
"sorry, what should I do?"
"We'll have our lawyers draft something up."
"Um, OK. Do I get to keep my copy of the software."
"Yes, and we will let you know the moment you can release the training videos after we release the software."

The point is, everything we are hearing is exactly what apple wants us to hear. This is no big inside information. It's a skillfully crafted portion of the release process.

It's a way of giving the baby (FCP_X) the most legs and the fastest start it can get. Once we get our hands on it, people will rip it apart and see what the real problems are. AND we will also see how briliant this new release it.

AVID and ADOBE are watching this very closely and are doing alot to try to keep market share.

David

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:41:20 pm

[David Battistella] "

The point is, everything we are hearing is exactly what apple wants us to hear. This is no big inside information. It's a skillfully crafted portion of the release process."

Wait... Are you trying to say that Apple wrote his blog post for him? That makes no sense whatsoever...or are you just talking about one or two particular statements on the blog? Still, I doubt it.

[David Battistella] "The point is, everything we are hearing is exactly what apple wants us to hear. This is no big inside information. It's a skillfully crafted portion of the release process."

Is that not what all PR is...structuring the data and facts etc as you want them to appear which is not necessarily how they actually are.

[David Battistella] " Once we get our hands on it, people will rip it apart and see what the real problems are."
I'm just sort of thrown off by the term "rip it apart". I'm not really interested in doing that. That's language of destruction. I'm more interested in looking under the hood and seeing what it's doing and then figuring out how to drive the damn thing and see if it handles better or worse than what I'm use too. Sure it's gonna be weird at first..and you might ride the clutch too much or grind the gears. My point is...the language we use to talk about certain things often reveals our motives. If you're looking for problems or ways to "tear it up" you certainly will find them, but likely at the expense of many of the things that will handle better than your certain setup. IE focusing on only the negatives blinds us from the positives.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:55:55 pm

Matt,

To clarify.

Rip it apart should be replaced by, "doing our own testing" . Testing is everyting to me and it will be to any major facility before implementing new software products. People are going to want to see if there are gaping holes. What is working, what isn't and how effectively the software can be put into real world situations. I will embrace the software for sure, but I also want to know the limitations and that means deliberatly tring to "break things".

On the other quotes. I am not suggesting Apple wrote it for him, but on reading it we can see that Larry chose his words very carefully and that is most likely Larry's respect for the process and the NDA he is under. I guess I am underlining the fact that at moments of a release like this, the relationship between Larry and Apple (or apple and key vendors and trainers) might be more vital than a "regular software update".

Apple needs Larry because he will bring his expertise to the floor to initiate a widely needed explaination and training with the new version. Larry needs Apple becuase his business depands on this training.

So I am just commenting on how heightened their relationship might be at this time. There seems to be a lot of interest in the software and big and small players are wathcing everything closely.

Larry is excellent at what he does. Apple is excellent at what they do. The NDA ensures that we are hearing about only what Apple wants us to hear about right now.

Satire is satire.

David

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:33:04 pm

thanks for the clarification.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:58:44 pm

accidental post...

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:38:04 pm

FCP7 will run for years.

FCP4 is still running on a G4!

It didn't die.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 18, 2011 at 8:15:39 pm

[Paul Jay] "FCP7 will run for years."

Absolutely wrong assumption.

Its like sayind SD will live for years even though HD is here. How much stuff is being shot in SD today? Leave that aside, how many new cameras shoot standard def anymore? Maybe 5 percent.

In these times when formats like AVCHD & H.264 are the order of the day,you can't wait for days in order to transcode the footage.

If FCP X is a hit, FCP 7 will very soon be totally out of scene. The only way i see FCP 7 surviving for a few years is if FCP X is a big fail and if AVID does not bring out something remarkable.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:24:11 pm

If you think MC5.5 is stable (or 5 come to that) you haven't talked to anyone that uses it.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:47:30 pm

Avid MC 5.0aack is not stable :P
I have numerous posts on Avid forum on Hagrid, SWDC or whatever new crash code out these days.
None has been addressed and its over a year old for some of these.
Oh sure Ive moved ahead and started working on newer projects that work but everytime I have to go back to some old files, one of these errors rears its ugly head.
We have support...or lack of :P

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:25:01 pm

I have found both Avid MC 5.0.x and MC 5.5 to be as equally stable as FCP 7. That's across a few different machines in each case.

I expect FCP X to be pretty stable, as well. Just missing plenty of features. Whether of not those features are important will be different for each user. I suspect a lot of folks will be running both FCP 7 and FCP X alongside each other for some time, just depending on whether they need a particular feature or are making changes to a past project.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mike Chedwick
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:29:22 pm

I use FCP 7 as well as MC 5.5 and MC is very stable. To make such a statement is childish.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Jun 18, 2011 at 3:12:21 pm

Ben has never used Media Composer. Take his comments with a grain of salt.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Jun 18, 2011 at 9:55:09 pm

I actually started using MC 5.5, got the FCP trade promotion, and I find it very stable, but the "stability" I was referring to, is not much of performance, is that of a software that continues to improve without having to do re-writes based on superstitious assumptions that versions 8 and 9 are bad, and leave you starting over again getting plugins that work, and so on, you get the idea.
Right now I can edit straight from R3D files, prores, all I was ever asking FCP to do.
I'll still use FCP, but I'm starting to appreciate more what Avid is doing, at least there was never hysteria when they realese a new version.
All I hope they do, is that they support more 3rd party hardware cards, which at NAB they told me they will.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 18, 2011 at 10:32:48 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "I actually started using MC 5.5, got the FCP trade promotion, and I find it very stable, but the "stability" I was referring to, is not much of performance, is that of a software that continues to improve without having to do re-writes based on superstitious assumptions that versions 8 and 9 are bad, and leave you starting over again getting plugins that work, and so on, you get the idea.
Right now I can edit straight from R3D files, prores, all I was ever asking FCP to do.
I'll still use FCP, but I'm starting to appreciate more what Avid is doing, at least there was never hysteria when they realese a new version.
All I hope they do, is that they support more 3rd party hardware cards, which at NAB they told me they will."

Why does this sound like an AVID ad?

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 19, 2011 at 12:28:14 am

Just wait till MC 6 which is reported to be a rewrite to 64 bit. Chances are you will experience the same upgrade challenges and plugin revisions that AE went thru (CS4 to CS 5) and FCP will be going thru. You havnet dodged the bullet ;-)

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 19, 2011 at 9:46:17 am

How on earth could you possibly know that? I spend plenty of time with AVIDS thanks.

I do like the way AVID users magically gravitate to this forum when it's mentioned negatively. Do you think any FCP users are checking the AVID forums?

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 21, 2011 at 1:47:30 pm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]