FORUMS: list search recent posts

Marketing FCX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Shucher
Marketing FCX?
on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:29:35 pm

Interesting about the lack of a marketing campaign by Apple for it's FCX. In the hey-day of the application you'd have seen ads in all the professional periodicals. Given the dubious initial reviews of FCX, I'd have thought Apple would have pulled out some big marketing guns by now. But after 6 months... nothing.

You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Marketing FCX?
on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:38:38 pm

[Scott Shucher] " I'd have thought Apple would have pulled out some big marketing guns by now. But after 6 months... nothing."

Apple doesn't have enough money for a proper marketing campaign. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:41:09 pm

Well you came to the right place to start this topic.

I wonder if whoever is hosting the Cow has had to add more storage for this particular forum?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:58:44 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "I wonder if whoever is hosting the Cow has had to add more storage for this particular forum?"

The Creative Cow hosts all of its own traffic Kevin. And, this forum has indeed become one of the hottest forums on the Cow. I'm certain the increased traffic has been good for the Cow.

While some of the arguments here may make Apple and some their select vendors a bit anxious, Apple's EOL of legacy FCP has done more to upset the "Apple cart" in that regard than anything on this forum ever could.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:32:56 pm

[David Roth Weiss] ""Apple cart""

Don't quote your joke. Either people get it, or they don't. And if they don't (believe me) they'll let you know.

Speaking of upsetting the Apple cart ...

What if Apple had instead introduced iPhoto X?

Introducing a whole new way to manager and organize your vast library of digital (mostly) photos. A version that was (in their view) better as well as faster than all previous versions. Except, you can't import your old iPhoto library. All the organization you've been doing over the years is gone. All the albums and folders you created. All the keywords you assigned. All the Faces and Places you worked so hard to incorporate. All the new file names your created. Everything you did you have to leave behind. Not your photos. They're still there. You simply have to re-import all those photos and start all over again. Recreating everything you did. But hey, once you do, you're gonna love iPhoto X. It's better, faster and has magnetic photo albums. Where only people with magnetic personalities will be atomically added. (actually, that might not only be a good idea, it might be patentable)

Would Apple do that to their iPhoto users they have?

It's a shame Apple didn't view FCS users the same way they view iPhoto users.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:39:25 pm

Such impatience!

Apple is just barely starting to roll out their FCP-X initiatives.

Our local FCP Users group (which by the way has been in operation since 2001) just got an invite to meet at the local Apple Store next month, and the store will be adding X training (4 nights over a month of 2.5 hour free training sessions) starting Jan 4.

The first batch of independent trainers is finalizing certification (I understand the certification test is pretty tough).

But I guess "support" is supposed to spring forth organically fully formed?

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:12:26 pm

TRaining? Why? No, seriously. Isn't it supposed to be so transparent and seamlessly intuitive that you should simply be able to sit down and "just work"? Isn't this inevitably leading to a whole new tier of elitist whining snobs?

Especially because it's so "tough"? Give me a break.
jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:47:25 pm

[Joseph Owens] "TRaining? Why? No, seriously. Isn't it supposed to be so transparent and seamlessly intuitive that you should simply be able to sit down and "just work"? Isn't this inevitably leading to a whole new tier of elitist whining snobs?"

SO which is it, in your estimable opinion? Foolishly shallow? If so, then everyone who dismissed it in the first 48 hours would have been proved completely accurate. And this board wouldn't have lasted a week.

Or is it more complex than meets the eye, and over the past few months, the complexity of it's underlying concepts have caused there to be an ongoing discussion as a huge range of editors have worked hard to understand it's complexities, have had to re-orient some thinking, learn what is useful and what is not and consistently re-evaluate it?

If that's the fundamental truth, then rather than dying out, this board would have still been going strong six months later... oh wait....

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Scott Shucher
on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:13:28 pm

Impatience?? The impatience comes from clients, the ones who pay the $$$, so I can re-invest in all this fine Apple hardware and software as well as try to send a kid to college. Or will it have to be Avid or Adobe next time??

You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:35:47 pm

In all honesty, there's not much to market at this point.

See here, we talked about it a bit:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/21857#21944

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:29:20 pm

FCPX?

Cute kid.

Maybe they're waiting till junior learns how to walk before taking him to market?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:53:49 pm

[Scott Shucher] "You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two."

Sometimes.

I used to walk past a tangerine tree on my way to a summer recreation program.

Every day for a whole summer, I'd reach up on my walk and for a while enjoy all three at once.

So while that's still a convenient shortcut to re-inforce what we need to push toward to sustain a business in certain circumstances, there are people who would argue that everything from computers to toasters have been evolving towards getting closer and closer to positive equilibrium in all three if you look at performance per dollar spent to obtain it.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Dec 17, 2011 at 1:53:30 am

Bill Davis - "Sometimes. I used to walk past a tangerine tree on my way to a summer recreation program.
Every day for a whole summer, I'd reach up on my walk and for a while enjoy all three at once."

Cause from seed to fruit is only a day, right?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Dec 17, 2011 at 2:02:16 pm

[Bill Davis] "[Scott Shucher] "You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two."

Sometimes.

I used to walk past a tangerine tree on my way to a summer recreation program.

Every day for a whole summer, I'd reach up on my walk and for a while enjoy all three at once. "

The expression good, fast or cheap has always been applied to business transactions. You're scenario is far from a business transaction. What you're describing is stealing fruit from a farmers orchard.

Here's another example of improperly using the expression:

On the way home we stopped by Jim's house and the food was already on the table. We sat down for a quick meal and hit the road again. Man, Jim can cook up some fine grub. It was fast, cheap and good.

This is a description of having a meal at a friends house. Not a business transaction.

It appears that you've been fighting the fight so long here that you'll argue with anyone regardless if it makes sense or not. Like an exhausted warrior flailing his sword at anything and everything without purpose.

Keep swinging away Bill.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:44:12 pm

[Gary Hazen] "It appears that you've been fighting the fight so long here that you'll argue with anyone regardless if it makes sense or not. Like an exhausted warrior flailing his sword at anything and everything without purpose."

A) If you think that writing is fighting, you've never done much fighting.
B) Far from exhausted, FCP-X has actually energized me. I'm enjoying editing more than ever before.

Fact is, I just got a public link for the very first video I ever cut on X a couple of months back. The San Diego client who commissioned it was delighted. DSLR footage I shot in a day - edit and post took a couple of days in the hotel room and back in my studio where I cut my VO and finished assembly.

I believe X was the ideal tool for this.

This is "version 1" work from my thinking – and I watch it now knowing I could have done better titling and more sophisticated compositing and scene manipulation if I'd known *then* what I know now, (particularly since I've been studying up on Motion 5 for the past month and can now do more than just adapt the preset effects!) but for all that I'm pretty happy (and so it the client) with the results.

And much of that was due to the ability to work with my 5d and X on my laptop to capture, monitor, proof, correct, get client feedback and cut as the project evolved, rather than being stuck waiting to get back to my "facility" to move the project along.

Yes, yes, I KNOW that other software can enable the same kind of workflow. But we're talking about the so often dismissed and maligned FCP-X. And that's the point escaping many here. It's, in many ways excellent software for modern video making. You'd just never know that from all the grief dumped on it here day after day.

YMMV

http://www.sandiegobloodbank.org/it-takes-special-person-donate-platelets

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Dec 18, 2011 at 8:34:31 pm

I see this quote and am amused. This was the thinking perhaps years ago. Holding on to that mantra I believe will not lead to anything good going forward. Why? Because your competition can and will do it good, cheap and fast, and they will figure out how to make a buck at it in the mean time too. You say something like this in manufacturing even 15 years ago and you will get laughed right out of the building as your prospective customer would be more than willing to show you a very large list of competitors that are doing just that. Services are no different. I learned long ago that winners are the ones that ask Why Not? instead of just Why?

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:26:22 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "Why? Because your competition can and will do it good, cheap and fast, and they will figure out how to make a buck at it in the mean time too. You say something like this in manufacturing even 15 years ago and you will get laughed right out of the building as your prospective customer would be more than willing to show you a very large list of competitors that are doing just that. Services are no different. I learned long ago that winners are the ones that ask Why Not? instead of just Why?"

What your describing here is "good enough" not good. When fast and cheap come into play, good is always the variable that gets adjusted. This will never change. Cheaper Chinese nails work, just not as well, and they rust easier. Cast iron pitman arms work, just not as well as forged ones in tough off-road situations. If you don't care about those things then "good enough" is the same as good, which I believe is really the point..

What will (and has) changed is our view of what is "good enough". In that regard I agree... the competition that thrives is the one that makes it to "good enough", doing it quickly and cheaply. The democratization of video has made "good enough" socially acceptable, and I have no problem with that. For decades a lot of us have discussed this point... the most common example being "let's face it... how much quality do you need when shooting and editing an internal sales meeting"? The truth, not much... it's 100% content that counts there. Virtually any image quality will work.

Which brings us back to Apple. They are clearly focused on "good enough" or as someone else put it: "good enough for 80% of the market". I'd agree, and there is nothing wrong with that, and they don't need our permission to do it that way. Does this mean that I don't long for the Apple of old. In a word, no. The iPhone 4 antenna shortcomings were a disappointment and more worthy of MS. Lion is the worst OS release since the Lisa 7/7 software... scores of problems that should have been caught before release. FCPX is half-baked... like the obvious titler bug that anyone would have caught, yet it took 5 months to get it fixed. iCloud is providing more problems than solutions and doesn't even have the two best features of MobileMe.

Will all of this get fixed? I would like to think so... but I'd prefer not to be an involuntary beta tester on all this stuff. I'd prefer to have a choice of a properly functioning option to use while I assist in developing the rough future replacement into something worthy of public release.

This I believe is the "Tim Cook" legacy. That's his thing... getting everything to market quicker. The problem is (as Mercedes can attest) is that this results in unfinished product coming to market with embarrassing mistakes in it. Mercedes only switched back after sales dropped. Apple's sales haven't dropped... at least not yet...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]