FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Tech Support responses to FCPX thumbnail issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lawrence
Apple Tech Support responses to FCPX thumbnail issues
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:33:18 am

FYI - My brother in LA just sent me this link to this post about Apple Tech Support's answers to a user's questions about background processing of thumbnails.

My favorite part:
Q: How long does it typically take to generate thumbnails for an imported 1.5 hour DV stream?
A: NOT SURE....but it could be significant because FCPX will attempt to regenerate thumbnails for each occurrence of ZOOMING on the timeline. Generally smaller clip sequences usually render pretty fast.
Another thing Apple needs to optimize, it seems.

Apple Tech Support responses to FCPX issues 12-12-11

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Rob Mackintosh
Re: Apple Tech Support responses to FCPX thumbnail issues
on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:43:46 am

What about this from the same post:

Q: Are multiple projects in the project library continuing to be processed while working on a current open project, thus impacting the performance of FCPX?
A: YES...things such as rendering thumbnails or effects that have not been completed while the project was open will continue to be processed in the background, even though they are not the currently opened project.

WTF? They haven't prioritized UI responsiveness.

Ironic considering iOS shines in this area compared with Android

Check his system specs

Bought a new mac pro 12 core with 48 gig ram and two 500 gig solid state Crucial M4 drives.

If he's having problems . . .

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:38:55 pm

I recently was doing an import from camera with some HDV material and after the import, FCPX was taking too long doing the "thumbnail thing". I decided to close it. It said that some background tasks were not finished. I closed anyway and reopened. When it came back it showed the tasks "idle".

iMac 2.7 GHz Intel 4 Core i5
16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 3TB
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Rob Mackintosh
on Dec 15, 2011 at 12:40:07 am

On reflection (and reading Ben Balser's response to his post) some of the advice he received might be BS.

That said, the performance of FCPX is still a real concern and a deal-breaker for me continuing to use it.

Return to posts index

Dan Wierling
on Dec 28, 2011 at 6:43:12 pm

Hey, all..
I am the original user that called Apple and started that post. I am glad it has gotten all the attention it has, because in the many comments people made, many answers were revealed.
I can tell you that at the time I wrote the post, I had only been using FCPX for a couple weeks. I had over 16 long DV projects open and based on other user comments and Apple's recommendations, moving them to allow working on one or two made a hugh impact on performance for me.
I agree some of the answers I received from Apple were not convincing to me, but I thought I would let the community react and offer their opinion and expertise.
By obtaining increased knowledge from these forums plus ongoing practical experience with FCPX, things are definitely getting better.
Regards,
Dan

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:49:38 am

Generally smaller clip sequences usually render pretty fast.

Sigh. Ah man. It really is toast. They're not fixing this thing. It's the blasé way he says that.
It's like - "yeahhh it's a bit of a crock, but if you keep it simple and short it should work ok."

It really is a serious flaw, and their guidance is not to use long clip sequences.

You're holding it wrong.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 28, 2011 at 7:12:12 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "It really is a serious flaw, and their guidance is not to use long clip sequences.

You're holding it wrong."

FCP had exactly the same problem in it's earlier versions

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]