FORUMS: list search recent posts

CORRUPT Project File - please for the love of...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giles Kesteloot
CORRUPT Project File - please for the love of...
on Dec 13, 2011 at 9:49:16 pm

Hi all -

iMAC OS X Lion 10.7.2

pretty new user to FCPX. Worked on a project for about 35 hours total over a few days, then power went out in the house, computer turns off and when it reboots the Project File is no longer in the window where the projects are.

I locate it on Finder and try to open but says file is "corrupt, truncated or wrong format"

i've tried:

trashing prefs,
fixing file with "Pro Maintenance",
prRam zapping,
dupping the file and renaming.

nothing works so far.

here is part of the error log - PLEASE HELP

------

Process: Final Cut Pro [2988]
Path: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Identifier: com.apple.FinalCut
Version: 10.0.2 (188847)
Build Info: ProEditor-188840700~1
App Item ID: 424389933
App External ID: 4893955
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [131]

Date/Time: 2011-12-13 16:38:39.046 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.2 (11C74)
Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 33565 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 122 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Anonymous UUID: 32CD2659-1266-46B8-B875-9FC77F59CB37

Crashed Thread: 24 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-priority

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000000f8

VM Regions Near 0xf8:
-->
__TEXT 0000000100000000-00000001000c2000 [ 776K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro

Application Specific Information:
objc[2988]: garbage collection is OFF

Thread 0:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff89e0367a mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff89e02d71 mach_msg + 73
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8c604b6c __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 188
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8c60d2d4 __CFRunLoopRun + 1204
4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8c60cae6 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 230
5 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff8bd7004f -[NSRunLoop(NSRunLoop) runMode:beforeDate:] + 267
6 com.apple.Flexo 0x0000000100c252ca -[FFSequenceInfo sequence] + 1306
7 com.apple.FinalCut 0x00000001000030d9 -[PEDocument _makeSequenceModules] + 121
8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff80b32acc -[NSDocumentController _finishOpeningDocument:andShowWindows:] + 73
9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff80b3e74c -[NSDocumentController(NSDeprecated) openDocumentWithContentsOfURL:display:error:] + 885
10 com.apple.LunaKit 0x00000001018c04fa -[LKDocumentController openDocumentWithContentsOfURL:display:error:]

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
Re: CORRUPT Project File - please for the love of...
on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:00:32 pm

Don't know what the deal is but we are having the same issue. Not a whole lot of confidence right now in FCPX, at least in FCP7 you could open an auto save file if something went wrong.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:19:18 pm

Autosave files are so yesterday. FCPX is like a hockey puck, your supposed to skate to where it's going to be, so maybe you can open up a file and wait for it to become the right one.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/22383

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:47:04 am

Takes me back.

PRECISELY the same thing happened to me back on FCP-1.0 about six months after it's release.

Unlike today, however, the neighborhood wasn't over-populated with jerks who were more interested in gleefully pointing out how superior their world view is - and more with people (Like Jeremy here) actually reached out to help me survive.

Actually, back then, the late, great Ralph Fairweather used to slip onto the boards (usually in the middle of the night) to shepherd many of us through the shakeout of FCP in it's early days.

Got to shake his hand one year at NAB and it stands among my fondest memories of that era.

I miss guys like Ralph. They made a huge difference in helping many of us turn into the early successful FCP editors of the turn of the last century - and they certainly bred an atmosphere where HELP was considered WAY more valuable than SNARK.

Oh, and don't give up hope, Giles. If you have meta-data files you can see. It's possible that you can re-build some or all of your EDL from them.

Even if not, take seriously the Time Machine backup concept. I learned after crashes just like yours that even solid software (and FCP-V1 was remarkably stable - can become less so after software updates and features are added. So the more "crash proof" a workflow you can adopt - the better you'll fare in the long run.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:09:17 am

[Bill Davis] "Unlike today, however, the neighborhood wasn't over-populated with jerks who were more interested in gleefully pointing out how superior their world view is"

Point well taken, but as one of the jerks I will point out that

1 - I wasn't responding to Giles and his problem, but rather to Devin's sympathetic reply

and

2 - All you did was tell Giles how to avoid the problem next time, which is exactly what Jason did, although yours was in a less snarky tone,

because

3 - This wonderful software you so espouse, epitome of Apple's software brilliance, has just royally screwed him and apparently there's nothing to be done about it.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:15:10 pm

[Herb Sevush] "but as one of the jerks"

Herb,

I cannot argue with you. It appears you are correct.

You are also correct in points 1, 2 and 3.

Although I suppose one could argue point 2. If you are new to this forum and you click read entire thread, it may not be obvious who you replied to. Especially when someone is reading the responses in hopes that they have stumbled across a forum filled with knowledgeable, helpful, sympathetic users. It appears this was Giles first Cow post.

If you've ever read any of my posts, you might notice that I try to be humorous. (emphasis on try) I found your post humorous. Not has funny as my stuff. Kind of a good-effort funny.

What I've learned over the years of writing funny posts is that for some odd reason, not everyone finds what I write funny. I try not to argue with their perspective. I accept their point of view and usually apologize.

Sometimes I write a quick, short post that I think is really funny. And then realize (based on my past experiences) that it might not be appropriate and after writing a wonderfully humorous post, I delete it.

It's a shame you didn't consider deleting yours.

But, as I'm sure you'll point out, you are free to express your opinions here on the Cow.

And once again, you'd be right.

Return to posts index

Giles Kesteloot
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:44:40 am

>>>If you have meta-data files you can see. It's possible that you can re-build some or all of your EDL from them.

again sorry for being an FCP novice but i'm just getting started with video - but from what i can see i have all my files. like 20 GBs in that specific project folder.

i just can't open the project one. is there really hope or do i just start over?

also, regarding the Backup Vault someone mentioned as a preventative option, can someone please walk me through a typical use case on how you would back stuff up so it's current enough but doesnt risk getting corrupted?

do u just save iterations over and over as new projects?

any advice is welcome - cheers
giles

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:14:12 am

giles.

All macs come with Time Machine.

You specify a hard drive, and a time between backups - and the system records a "picture" of your system at whatever interval you choose. It's pretty efficient, since it really only records the changes once the system is initially imaged.

Calling up Time Machine after a problem, lets you virtually "walk back" in time to recover the data state of all your programs and documents as they evolve over time. So you're never more than a few clicks from where you were at the last auto-backup.

It's build into the Mac OS.

Unless you absolutely can't afford a dedicated backup drive to hang on your system (and at today's prices, that's pretty rare) it's the simplest and surest hedge against data corruption you can find.

Hopefully, someone who knows a lot about the FCP-X XML structure then I do can help you recover the data about your edit prior to the crash. (I personally have never had to do that (knock wood) since FCP-X rev 1 was released.

Try the Apple FCP-X forums on the official Apple site. There may be someone there who can help. Or even try your local Apple Store. If the data is important. The more avenues you explore, the better your chances will likely be.

Again, good luck.

And let us know how things turn out.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:51:08 am

As every one knows your media should be stored on an external drive,not on the system drive.

My timecapsule doesn't back up my esata raid where my events and projects are stored for fcX only my system drive.

Why can't the project be kept separate from the media?

You need to set top a separate event backup ( remember media is stored inside the event too!)

Steve

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:37:11 pm

[steve knattress] "Why can't the project be kept separate from the media?"

It can be (not counting render files). Send your Projects to the internal drive and the Events to the RAID.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:00:36 pm

Giles,

Did you try calling Apple? If not, it's at least worth a try.

Did you try re-installing FCP X? Given the description of what happened, I'm not sure it will help. But it can't hurt.

In the future (which I realize doesn't help you now) ...

Put both your Events and Project together, but in a place where you can use Time Machine to back them up. Have all your media referenced, don't copy it to the Events folder.

I highly recommend Duplicating your project as you go. It's kind of like performing a Save As. Especially if you ever come across a situation where Undo stops working. This was a big issue for people who have lost work. However, I believe this issue should have been completely fixed with release 10.0.1.

As has already been suggested, get a UPS to backup your computer and your external drive. Loosing power in the middle of something is, as you have unfortunately found out sometime unrecoverable.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:01:40 am

[Bill Davis] "the neighborhood wasn't over-populated with jerks who were more interested in gleefully pointing out how superior their world view is"

Now, Bill. Be easy on yourself.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:29:50 pm

Bill Davis - "Unlike today, however, the neighborhood wasn't over-populated with jerks who were more interested in gleefully pointing out how superior their world view is"

Still dating Ms. Irony, I see.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:23:04 pm

I get it.
You think fine tennis players aren't superior to the general population in identifying high level tennis play than the public at large.

;)

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:40:28 pm

But Bill, Final Swing Pro X (FSPX) levels the playing field, fine tennis players opinions are irrelevant now. The game of tennis is changing and skills is no longer needed.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:36:32 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "But Bill, Final Swing Pro X (FSPX) levels the playing field, fine tennis players opinions are irrelevant now. The game of tennis is changing and skills is no longer needed."

Again, just for elemental clarification, I'm presuming that

A) you understand the difference between athletic prowess and software design
B) you understand the difference between a metaphor and misinterpretation (which obviously you don't since you confuse the two quite regularly.)

and most critically,

C) the presumptive attachment of "skills is no longer needed" (ignoring the awful tense problem) - to me - when in fact I've never once knowingly argued anything even remotely like that (and, in fact disbelieve that assertion rigorously) - makes you look clever.

I think you believe you're making points here.

But all I can impute to your argument in tennis terms, at least, is an over-abundance of love.

Rock on, dude.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:49:51 pm

I know better than to ever presume to make a point with you. Just rolling in the mud a bit on a warm day.

Cheers.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:56:27 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "I know better than to ever presume to make a point with you. Just rolling in the mud a bit on a warm day.
"

So right Marvin... And, he won't even answer you if he knows you've really pinpointed a weakness in his argument. For example, see this post: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/22535.

Of course, I'm sure he'll say that one slipped through the cracks...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:56:40 pm

[Bill Davis] "(ignoring the awful tense problem)"

For someone who was quoting Justice O'Conner for the longest time, I don't know that I would go there.

[Bill Davis] " the presumptive attachment of "skills is no longer needed" (ignoring the awful tense problem) - to me - when in fact I've never once knowingly argued anything even remotely like that (and, in fact disbelieve that assertion rigorously)"

Over and over again you've maintained that the future belongs to dentists and auto mechanics making their own videos using FCPX. The future irrelevance of proper monitoring is another recurrent message. Calling broadcast editors "the priest class" and "the elites" peppers a lot of your posting gumbo.

Taken together they seem to comprise an argument that mastering the technical side of our craft will no longer be important. If that was not your intent, it gave every appearance of being so.

[Bill Davis] " the presumptive attachment of "skills is no longer needed" ... to me ...makes you look clever. "

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty funny retort to your tennis posting, grammatical error or not.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:26:10 pm

An Uninterruptible Power Supply is always a good investment.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:56:51 pm

Giles,

This forum is a bit hot right now - I'd try posting on the Apple Support Forums or even here in the FCP X Technique forums.

The only suggestion I have is to see if you have a project you can recover from time machine back-ups.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:01:03 am

[Giles Kesteloot] "I locate it on Finder and try to open but says file is "corrupt, truncated or wrong format""

Where was it?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:05:42 am

Any possibility that an earlier version might still exist in a Time Machine back-up?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:42:42 pm

I've not worked with FCPX enough to know it well but I have been bitten by the "no save" button feature myself. It was just a test project so I really did not care but quite frankly, to not even have a "Save as..." is very limiting no matter how forward thinking one is on software. I back up ALL the time, however, windows or mac, regardless of what OS I'm using because Murphy is always working overtime.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:49:35 pm

What's actually more interesting to me is how much "saving" is undergoing fundamental changes in so many apps.

"versioning" seems to be replacing "save as" in quite a few apps.

I don't fully understand the shift, but I wonder if it provides better capabilities in the rapidly evolving world of multiple "cloud based" documents that have to reflect to and from multiple mobile devices?

It's frustrating to "save a version" in Word or Pages, and not understand precisely what one just did and where the result might live!

Applying that thinking to a complex web of asset links ala FCP-X and managing potential multiple versions of many linked files that you may want to access from different connected devices doesn't seem trivial to me.

But I'm no expert.

I'm sure we'll all adapt to the new process in time. But it's definitely a bit of an annoyance right now, IMO

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]