FORUMS: list search recent posts

Louis CK, editing, and the future...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jamie thorne
Louis CK, editing, and the future...
on Dec 12, 2011 at 10:17:33 pm

Not sure where else on the Cow this should go, but this seems like a good place.

Comedian Louis CK is currently running an experiment. He has produced a performance video that is only available for download directly through his web site. The cost? $5. No outside production company or broadcaster involved just straight to the consumer distribution.

Today he answered people's questions on Reddit about his work.

Q: You've been listed as a video editor on most of your projects. What program do you use to edit and why have you decided to take on this role?

A: I love editing. I have used Avid in the past but I exclusively use Final Cut Pro now, though I am concerned about the future... You always have to put three dots after the future...
editing is part of the process. it's how you form everything. In some ways not editing yourself would be like a sculptor dropping some clay off at a guys house and saying "Make a naked lady chasing a bull. and do it nice."

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
Re: Louis CK, editing, and the future...
on Dec 12, 2011 at 11:11:37 pm

I recently listened to a podcast with the Polish brothers who shot an entire feature film in 12 days with a Canon 5d, and released it on itunes.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tb/tb111031the_polish_bros_itun

It's a whole new world.

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

tony west
on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:35:29 pm

I really don't think the power of the internet can be overstated.

As much as I like working in broadcast, I really like the idea of complete independence that the net
offers. You can just put it up there and the whole world can see it 24 hours a day. People can link to it around the world.

There have always been gatekeepers for TV and film and music but with the net you just bypass them.

Look at Will Farrell with his Funny or Die stuff. Straight to the net. High end work with big name actors but complete control.
Some look at the net as a stepchild. I see it as ultimate control and freedom.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 13, 2011 at 1:36:56 pm

[jamie thorne] "I have used Avid in the past but I exclusively use Final Cut Pro now"

Now? Does that mean he switched when FCP X came out? Or is he using legacy?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 13, 2011 at 4:18:05 pm

Legacy.

He shot Louie on Red and edited in Legacy before X was unleashed to furious banter on the Apple Store.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:01:46 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "Now? Does that mean he switched when FCP X came out? Or is he using legacy?"

I would assume (I have not seen the video at all) that it's a multi-cam shoot, and if so, FCPX would have been a huge pain to deal with in that situation.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:17:11 pm

Here is an updated post on cnet

Lewis CK Article on cnet

In just 5 days he cleared $200K. I believe Taylor Swift distributes her music in much the same way. If you thought the last 5 yrs had a lot of change.... hang on.

Return to posts index

Gerrit Van Dyke
on Dec 15, 2011 at 10:32:38 pm

Just listening to him on a podcast with Bill Simmons (grantland/ESPN) and he mentions about how he's edited his show "Louie" and has been editing for years. Even he's pissed about FCPX, saying that Apple is abandoning the professionals.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 15, 2011 at 11:14:47 pm

[Gerrit Van Dyke] "he's pissed about FCPX, saying that Apple is abandoning the professionals.
"

As he should be.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]