FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best of Mac App Store 2011 (can't wait for next year)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
Best of Mac App Store 2011 (can't wait for next year)
on Dec 10, 2011 at 2:50:07 pm

I noticed Apple has a Best of Mac App Store 2011 section on their App Store.

I'm not exactly sure what the criteria was for getting on the list. The only thing I saw was, "Explore our favorites from 2011." under the header. So I guess this list represents what they liked. Not users. Not top revenue. Not top number of copies sold. It appears to be what they like. (I assume they means Apple)

Given that, I suppose it would be bad form to put up a bunch of your own apps. But they did include one app. The best Apple App for 2011 is ...

FCP X!

Keep in mind, they did release Lion this year too. Didn't make the cut. Although if you use Lion and FCP X, I would assume FreeMemory would have made this list.

If you do bother to take a look, there are two other interesting apps on the list. DaisyDisk being one of them. Nice, graphical, hierarchical way of viewing what's taking up your disk space. (forgot what it cost, it was an impulse buy)

So to sum it up, in Apple's opinion, FCP X is the best thing they have done for the entire year, 2011.

Can't wait for next year.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Best of Mac App Store 2011 (can't wait for next year)
on Dec 11, 2011 at 10:33:13 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "I noticed Apple has a Best of Mac App Store 2011 section on their App Store.

I'm not exactly sure what the criteria was for getting on the list. The only thing I saw was, "Explore our favorites from 2011." under the header. So I guess this list represents what they liked. Not users. Not top revenue. Not top number of copies sold. It appears to be what they like. (I assume they means Apple)

Given that, I suppose it would be bad form to put up a bunch of your own apps. But they did include one app. The best Apple App for 2011 is ...

FCP X!
"

So let me understand you.

You're somehow annoyed that Apple is promoting one of their "flagship" (and highest priced) software products — during the holiday buying season — on their own web site — and have used precisely the same self-promotion with a touch of hyperbole that legions upon legions of businesses before them have employed to do so?

I would gently ask how this is in any possible way different from what EVERY successful business learns to do in order to stay in business?

Is it because they're APPLE and they've somehow annoyed you - that you now don't think they should be allowed to do what everyone else on the planet does?

Just seems a bit odd as an argumentative position. But whatever.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Dec 12, 2011 at 12:15:53 am

[Kevin Patrick] "I noticed Apple ..."

[Bill Davis] "Apple is promoting one of their "flagship" (and highest priced) software products ... with a touch of hyperbole ..."

Bill,

I don't know, I see Kevin noting marketing for what it is; I see you calling it hyperbole. So everyone is in agreement? What's the controversy?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 12, 2011 at 1:33:45 am

Frankly, you seem to be reading things into Kevin's statement that just aren't there.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 12, 2011 at 4:39:29 pm

[Bill Davis] "
So let me understand you."

Let me help you understand me.

Apple decided to create a best of the year list of apps.

The only criteria they used, was their opinion. (at least according to what they posted)

If they used other, less subjective criteria, I probably wouldn't have posted anything about it. (but I wouldn't bet on that) However, I'm not sure FCP X would have come out on top as Apple's best App for 2011.

It's not number one (for just Apple) as top paid. Lion, Pages, iPhoto, FaceTime, Keynote, iMovie, Aperture, GarageBand, Logic Pro are all ahead of Final Cut Pro. (note, Apple leaves out the X in FCP)

It's not number one (for just Apple) as top grossing. Lion and Pages are ahead of it. (who the heck is buying Pages? boy, are they in for a surprise when Apple kills Pages)

Hey, I got an idea. How about raking Apple's Apps by what the users think? Let's take a look at the 5 star (highest) user rating and compare it to 1 star (lowest) user rating. Following is the 5 and 1 star ratings for Apple's Top Paid Apps on the App Store, as of today. The list is in the order, as they appear on the App Store. Highest Top Paid to lowest Top Paid. (disclaimer: I omitted the 4, 3 and 2 star ratings for two reasons. One, you either love it or hate it. 4, 3 and 2 star ratings are simply from people who are too indecisive. Plus, this post is taking too much time to write)

Lion
15,980 Five Star
2,391 Oen Star

Pages
429 Five Star
24 One Star

iPhoto
418 Five Star
368 One Star (interesting)

FaceTime
735 Five Star
267 One Star (sometimes it's better to be seen, not heard?)

Keynote
181 Five Star
8 One Star

iMovie (no, not the Pro version)
235 Five Star
65 One Star (hmm, they seem happier than FCP X users)

Aperture
428 Five Star
63 One Star

GarageBand
136 Five Star
10 One Star

Logic Pro
20 Five Star
0 One Star (maybe the best, since no one hates it?)

Final Cut Pro
899 Five Star (awesome!)
752 One Star (what? how can that be?)

Well, that didn't work either. It looks like iPhoto and FCP X are battling it out for the highest percentage of unhappy users compared to happy ones. And for some reason, the fact that the iMovie users seem happy really bothers me.

FCP X users are so unhappy that it appears (at least to me) that FCP X is the only software that I've come across that has a dedicated forum for "discussing" it. This very forum. Not a forum to post questions or issues people need help with. There's another forum for that. This forum is for FCP X users who simply like to talk about it. Even if talking about it makes them unhappy.

Now, to make sure you understand me. I do not have an issue with Apple promoting it's products. They are in the business of selling stuff.

I just found this particular promotion of this particular product a little misleading. Since it appears they needed a rather subjective criteria in order for FCP X to come out on top.

But, I could be wrong. If I am, I'm sure you will set me straight. Or at least try. You are going to try, aren't you?

Return to posts index

Mark Bein
on Dec 12, 2011 at 8:03:02 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "highest percentage of unhappy users"

Have you read a few comments? A lot of people obviously didn't
even bother to read the manual and complain about missing features
that are actually there.

I wonder how the figures would look like if AVID, Adobe, Steinberg etc.
would publish customer ratings?
I know that there are quite a few unhappy Pro Tools users...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 12, 2011 at 8:12:59 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "FCP X users are so unhappy that it appears (at least to me) that FCP X is the only software that I've come across that has a dedicated forum for "discussing" it. "

So with a hundred million plus web sites out there - the fact that there are enough "inside baseball" types to generate a few dozen regular posters who want to focus on the sliver of the pro video editing landscape represented by FCP-X rebuild surprises you?

Okay then.

[Kevin Patrick] "But, I could be wrong. If I am, I'm sure you will set me straight. Or at least try. You are going to try, aren't you?"

I think I just did.

Ever hang out on Usenet?

If not, look it up.

Proof positive that since the dawn of the on-line era there have been vast numbers of splinter groups of people quite willing to hang out and chatter about things the most of the rest of the world largely finds not worth their time.

Those of us here who participate do so because we're super-interested in the topic (and probably because we're argumentative by nature and have strong opinions about stuff.)

As it has ever been, and as it will ever be.

Just don't think that because we enjoy it so much and obsess about it, that mean in any way that what we say here is actually *important* in the larger scheme of things.

(although I did actually pick up an honest to goodness new client last week from someone in my city who stumbled across what I've written here - so who knows - maybe what we do here has more impact that I thought!)

For what it's worth.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 12, 2011 at 11:42:04 pm

[Bill Davis] "surprises you?"

No. I'm not surprised. I'm not sure why you think I am. But that's OK.

[Bill Davis] "Ever hang out on Usenet?"

Not to my knowledge. (am I doing it right now?)

Perhaps I was unclear in the comment I made about this web site. What I mean is that this is the first discussion group I've come across that has a section dedicated to debating a product. While at the same time, there is a separate section to discuss the techniques of the very same product. I haven't seen any other product with two sections like this on the Cow. (maybe I missed them) I haven't come across any other sites that have two sections to discuss a product, one for debating, one for techniques. I'm sure there are a lot of sites on the Internet, many of which I haven't been to. (usenet maybe?) But, as I pointed out and you quoted me, FCP X is the only product I've come across that has two sections like the Cow does here. There may be many more similar to this, but not that I've come across.

[Bill Davis] "I think I just did."

It appears you think you have proved me wrong. While you may have proved me wrong (though about what I'm not sure) I was suggesting you prove wrong the point I was making. My point was, I felt Apple was being misleading promoting FCP X as their best product of 2011.

I think I provided enough facts (from Apple actually) to prove my point that Apple is in fact being misleading on this topic.

Although, as I am an educated user, I was not misled.

Well, maybe I was. I did buy FCP X before I knew what was wrong with it.

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Dec 12, 2011 at 1:47:06 am

[Kevin Patrick] " So to sum it up, in Apple's opinion, FCP X is the best thing they have done for the entire year, 2011."

What was that? Did you hear it? Ah! That was the sound of corks popping at Cupertino...
They got rid of those time robbing post production whiners, afterall.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 12, 2011 at 2:14:00 am

Love that video.
A job where I was applauded for being the last one on getting there in the morning.
My dream.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]